Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Sujet Now we've seen the VDJ8 sneak peek- Any Suggestions - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTMiYS5F3yU&feature=player_embedded

So there was the sneak peek, but does anyone have any thoughts off the back of that- the dev team may or may not be interested to know!

I'm sure I had a few thoughts when I first watched it, but I can't think of any right now... :D

The only thing I'll say is- I recently switched from a "proper" dj mixer the a controller that uses the virtual dj mixer and I'm really missing a "clip" light on either the channels or the master output. I really want to know that the music I'm playing isn't distorted because I turned up the gain, boosted the eq, or over-done an effect too much!

Oh yeah, I remember my thought now... Default EQ frequencies. It's great that the new vdj will have eq frequencies that are editable, but for the sake of having a great product that sounds professional "out of the box", I think it'll be important to make sure that the EQs sound similar to ones on a "pro" mixer by default. Around 100Hz sounds good for the bass frequency on a vst plugin I'm using and around 7-8khz for the highs. Obviously the best frequencies for virtual dj 8 will depend on the steepness of the cutoff in the virtual dj EQ, but I really think someone should spend some time messing with Pioneer and Allen & Heath mixers so they can hear what DJs expect, and make sure virtual dj 8 sounds similar out of the box- no tweaking.

Also (and I haven't done any thorough tests on this yet, but....) it seems the mixer channel faders in Virtual DJ 7 don't reduce the volume in the same way as real hardware mixers I've used. From an initial feel it seems that if the virtual dj mixer fader is moved from fully up to half way up, the volume is still louder than I'd expect. Again, perhaps some tests on the standard club mixers would help the dev team to see what the standard characteristics are, and then to emulate those. And of course, even better would be some fader curve settings in vdj 8! I'm not really too fussed about those though, as long as it acts in a way that's similar to club standard mixers.

I know 2 of these are things not seen in the Alpha version of vdj 8 but I hope the dev team will consider them (if they haven't already!) when they continue with development.

Posté Sun 25 Mar 12 @ 5:56 pm
Oh yeah, and effects that work "post fader" please! That way, if you do an echo you can remove the original song by turning it's volume down and just have the echo trail off into the distance.

And I'm really excited about the "sequencer" editor too. I hope they put lots of development into that so that it's a well featured part of the software. :D

Posté Sun 25 Mar 12 @ 6:02 pm
andytaylor125 wrote :
Oh yeah, and effects that work "post fader" please! That way, if you do an echo you can remove the original song by turning it's volume down and just have the echo trail off into the distance.

Doing the effects application in the way you like is not a good idea as you are the only one maybe wanting it and other may not like it. My only concern is, some users like it as "pre-fade" i think the best solution is to have an option on the effects application setting like having two selection either "POST FADER or PRE FADER" in this way users have their own choice on which of the two application they maybe wanted and i think this is the right way of doing that remember that not all user are having the same preferences in effects application. Also adding the "WET & DRY" application on the effects parameter could also be helpful.

Posté Wed 28 Mar 12 @ 4:13 am
andy you can use the ramp delay plugin and map this to your volume sliders, it will do exactly the same thing

effect 'ramp_delay' active on ? param_multiply 50% & param_invert & effect 'ramp_delay' slider 1 : volume_slider

or you can chain the free vst plugin moot by del a mancha behind your other effects.

Posté Wed 28 Mar 12 @ 4:50 am
From what I've seen in VDJ8, it doesn't look as if Atomix have implemented the popular "use decks as samplers" idea...

Many users would like to be able to see waveforms for samples, and set cue & loop points using waveforms. Also to control tempo and key per sample. This would be easy with a deck style layout.

The new version of Traktor for example, will have what they are calling "remix decks" - the visual (GUI) style of these is mini decks.

Doing it this way would also take away the current limitation of having a fixed number of sample slots.

VDJ7 allows up to 99 decks - yet very few DJs will ever play that many full tracks at one time.

But if some of them could be switched to behave as samplers then the availability of a large number of players would be more useful. Ableton Live users for example, use many sample 'slots' at once.

Posté Sat 31 Mar 12 @ 5:21 am
3skyPRO InfinityMember since 2006
master eq and limiter somewhere in the settings menu would be great.i know we can have it as audio effect,but to have it in settings would be better i think.We wouldn t need to turn it on again everythime we restart VDJ.

Posté Sat 31 Mar 12 @ 7:41 am
ZablarPRO InfinityMember since 2011
groovindj wrote :
From what I've seen in VDJ8, it doesn't look as if Atomix have implemented the popular "use decks as samplers" idea...

Many users would like to be able to see waveforms for samples, and set cue & loop points using waveforms. Also to control tempo and key per sample. This would be easy with a deck style layout.

The new version of Traktor for example, will have what they are calling "remix decks" - the visual (GUI) style of these is mini decks.

Doing it this way would also take away the current limitation of having a fixed number of sample slots.

VDJ7 allows up to 99 decks - yet very few DJs will ever play that many full tracks at one time.

But if some of them could be switched to behave as samplers then the availability of a large number of players would be more useful. Ableton Live users for example, use many sample 'slots' at once.

Agreed, takes to much time switching the samples in the current version and regarding the cuepoints most samples at least Im using got at least 5 different ones within each audio file so this would be usefull.

Posté Sun 01 Apr 12 @ 12:35 pm
groovindj wrote :
From what I've seen in VDJ8, it doesn't look as if Atomix have implemented the popular "use decks as samplers" idea...Many users would like to be able to see waveforms for samples, and set cue & loop points using waveforms. Also to control tempo and key per sample. This would be easy with a deck style layout.

+1, I like this idea i think VJD should look how far they could do on this.... As i have seen the sampler waveform preview still not looking good no improvements still the same as the current one, the only difference is, they just have added the icon/art preview of each samples, saving and grouping samples.

Posté Tue 03 Apr 12 @ 1:58 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Wouldn't it be best to wait and see exactly what developments the team finally release than making assumptions of what your not going to get based on a snippet of a pre release video, which clearly states this is a work in progress.

What I was able to digest from that video was that we are in line for some mega developments of the software, if they were willing to give us a sneak preview of what they have done so far what in the hell are they going to put on the table at release time, it's going to blow our socks off is my only conclusion.

Posté Tue 03 Apr 12 @ 2:26 pm
pseftPRO InfinityMember since 2009
i just hope we get another sneak peak soon... maybe of the beta version

Posté Fri 06 Apr 12 @ 7:39 am
pseftPRO InfinityMember since 2009
i just noticed that the MAC is running windows7, realised the exit was on the right side not the left

Posté Fri 06 Apr 12 @ 7:43 am
PLease add a video preview snc to the audio preview so I can see a thumbnail or low resolution image when I am scrolling through my crates.
PLease add Musicgroug compatibility with music videos.
Please add Sonique or basic virtual light show to mac version
Please add DMX lighting control to Virtual DJ and sync these with samples.

Thank you for making great products.

Posté Sun 08 Apr 12 @ 7:43 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
DMX existed in previous versions of Virtual DJ and IME wasn't used much. Using a proper DMX program would be a better solution - and some even support integration with VDJ such as VenueMagic and FreeStyler.

Posté Sun 08 Apr 12 @ 8:56 pm
Not sure if this has been mentioned before or just something I have overlooked but could there be a way to save loop points? I currently just set a cue and know my music well enough to know what the cue points (usually cue point 4) is for... but just thought it might be something that some might find useful!
Coops

Posté Tue 10 Apr 12 @ 6:58 pm

Posté Tue 17 Apr 12 @ 6:55 pm
I can't see a reason why it couldn't... provided you could map enough buttons, faders etc and had the right samples. All I am going to say is good luck mapping that... I can hardly map at all.
Coops

Posté Mon 30 Apr 12 @ 8:33 pm
Well it has a total of 64 sample slots, so unless VDJ 8 dramatically increases their current 12 slots, the only way would be to substitute decks.

Now you could have 64 decks, but then you lose the ability to have a sample loop - everything would be one-shot only.

As I've previously suggested to Atomix, give the decks sample playing ability, so they can be set to loop short sounds from beginning to end.

Then we can have 99 sample slots!

Posté Tue 01 May 12 @ 5:37 am
if you want to do it now there is nothing stopping you accept a little scripting...

what I am doing for my skin is associating a cue point with a loop size eg.

hot_cue 90 - loop 32
hot_cue 91 - loop 16
hot_cue 92 - loop 8
hot_cue 93 - loop 4
hot_cue 94 - loop 2
hot_cue 95 - loop 1

then you save the correct cue point at the start of the loop with this one button

loop_select 32 ? set_cue 90 :
loop_select 16 ? set_cue 91 :
loop_select 8 ? set_cue 92 :
loop_select 4 ? set_cue 93 :
loop_select 2 ? set_cue 94 :
loop_select 1 ? set_cue 95 :
nothing

and for the load button script it like this

load &
hot_cue 90 ? goto_cue 90 & loop 32 :
hot_cue 91 ? goto_cue 91 & loop 16 :
hot_cue 92 ? goto_cue 92 & loop 8 :
hot_cue 93 ? goto_cue 93 & loop 4 :
hot_cue 94 ? goto_cue 94 & loop 2 :
hot_cue 95 ? goto_cue 95 & loop 1 :
nothing

that is exactly how my skins sampler section an hot loop works, you can even beatlock individual decks for a fairly solid performance, And put a variable in there to bypass the looping to allow one shots...

Posté Tue 01 May 12 @ 6:12 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
groovindj wrote :
As I've previously suggested to Atomix, give the decks sample playing ability, so they can be set to loop short sounds from beginning to end.

I'm sure I managed to get this working - I'll have a look back through my code library later on.

Posté Tue 01 May 12 @ 6:18 am
Thanks Scott - yeah, that would be great if we could have a "Remix Decks" skin in a similar style to the forthcoming Traktor 2.5...

Posté Tue 01 May 12 @ 8:55 am
38%