Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Sujet Improved Search

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

I think the way the search feature works now to only show the songs that fit the search criteria is quite helpful.

However, I think it would also be helpful to know what other songs are in the folder or Playlist in which the files are found. So some sort of functionality that maintains the current way it works and adds the ability to see the other songs in the folder would be nice.

Of course, in a Playlist search, simply moving the curser highlight to the matching song in the list is good enough.

Development: thanks for considering these from a working dj.

Posté Tue 09 Sep 03 @ 12:04 am
good idea

Posté Wed 10 Sep 03 @ 2:11 pm
You are able to search in that way. The only thing is that you have to use two steps:
First search for a song like benassi. A list with all the songs and folders containing benassi will show up.
Then you look into the column Path, here you see for expample \2003\Dance. You start a new search for 2003\Dance. A list will show up with all the songs in the particular folder.
Hope this will help.

Posté Wed 10 Sep 03 @ 8:39 pm
Hy VDJ Team !
Yes.. good idea... for example i want to search all song with 100 BPM in all folders, and after that i want to see the list with all song with 100 BMP :)
In future, can i ? ;)

Best Regards,
Rick Paul

Posté Wed 24 Sep 03 @ 9:48 am
Oh I understand what you guys mean. yes very good idea. PCDJ Red has this and I do use it all the time. would like to be able to do this with VirtualDJ as well.

Posté Wed 24 Sep 03 @ 2:01 pm
Well..... yes, but I would like to see this ability applied to the Playlist. As I mentioned in another post, some of us harmonic mixers work from playlists and so in the case of the playlist, I wouldn't need to see every song on my HDD that has the same BPM, I just want to see what songs I've put "around" the song I'm searching for as candidates for a mix.

Posté Wed 24 Sep 03 @ 8:50 pm
DJ CocoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
in the playlist, you can sort by bpm doing a click on the bpm`s column header. It`s just another way and may help you.

Posté Wed 24 Sep 03 @ 9:18 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
That's what I do. First I painfully made sure that all of my remixes have the word mix in their name somewhere.... then when I'm working a dance set, I do a search for the word mix... then I click on the BPM header, and scroll to the area of where I'm currently working. This is pretty helpful if someone makes a request that's say... 120 BPM and you are running around 100 BPM... you can just scroll from where you are to where you want to be and pick out a few songs in between, and work the set up to the request... keeping it seemless :-)

Posté Wed 24 Sep 03 @ 10:58 pm
One thing to remember is that VirtualDJ does not accurately analyze all genres... only beat calculation friendly stuff like Techno. So unless you spend loads of time to BPM ID an existing library, you can't always depend on BPM values.

In addition, consider that harmonic mixing can be acheived by mixing tracks that are far apart in BPM. For example, if the keys are compatible, you can mix a low bpm track with a high bpm track, which usually capitalizes on fitting an extra beat from the high bpm track in between the beats of the low bpm track.

There are 2 points being made here. One is that for many genres, you cannot always depend on BPM values to execute the mix. So layout of the Playlist becomes important and a search within the Playlist is useful if it simply finds what you are looking for in the playlist and simply highlights it.

Secondly, I think the Search outside of Playlists (HDD Search) works great and should continue to work the way it does, but it should show the other tracks in the folder where object is found. At this point the user then could as suggested, have the option to sort by BPM and see what other tracks may be candidates for mixing with the "found" track.

Posté Thu 25 Sep 03 @ 5:56 am
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
That's a correct point. I did spend several hours for a few days, manually tapping the suspect BPM's that were reported before I was able to completely rely on my method of finding the songs to fit a set.

Posté Thu 25 Sep 03 @ 7:48 am
DJ Coco, yes i can sort by bpm, and i know that, but i want to search by bpm ;)
is posibble in futer?

Best Regards,
Rick Paul

Posté Thu 25 Sep 03 @ 10:36 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)