Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Sujet VDJ8 Recommend plugin integration

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hi VDJ team,

I recommend integrating two very useful tools into VDJ8.

-TuneUp - Currently an iTunes app that quickly samples the audio of the track and pulls proper ID3 tag information turning and "04 track" or "untitled" into accurate Meta data. This app also removes duplicate track.

-Propellor heads Recycle DNA groove search - Recycle analyses the groove or feel of a song rather than just the BPM. Imagine being able to search for compatible songs that have a similar groove to the currently playing track.

Thank you,

D

Posté Tue 04 Sep 12 @ 2:43 am
The first one shouldn't be necessary.

Any professional working DJ should have tagged his/her music before adding it to the library. Why would you put songs on your system that didn't have any information? Most people would use separate dedicated tagging software to do that, which generally has a 'search the web for info' option anyway.

The second one I can't find anything about. Nothing anywhere on the web, or on the Propellerhead site. Link?

Posté Tue 04 Sep 12 @ 5:31 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I can't see how we would integrate an iTunes app?

Posté Tue 04 Sep 12 @ 4:59 pm
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
One suggestion on the "TuneUp" app is use it within iTunes to correct your tracks there then import them into VDJ, very simple process...

The second app/program you talk about we can't help you with to figure a way to use it unless you provide a link to it, so try doing that if you could..

Posté Tue 04 Sep 12 @ 10:16 pm
Assistance with TuneUp would be great. It corrects the Meta data in Itunes but this information doesn't port over to VDJ.

Regarding "shouldn't need to TuneUp integration". I subscribe to Xtendamix and MacMillian Group DJ pools for my content the Meta data is correct or present only 60% of the time via VDJ. I am not sure what the issue is I believe VDJ downloads incorrect ID3 tag information and replaces what is there in the original either way I find myself spending a lot of time manually correcting my data base. TuneUp comes in handy for many of the tracks that imported from personal CD' when I was an amateur.

http://www.propellerheads.se/products/recycle/
Recycle is a tool I used in my musician/production days. It analyses and breaks up a song/beat into its base elements and allows you to change the groove of a song.

VDJ only needs Recycle's analysis capabilities. The guys a Propellorsheads are very cool and easy to work with. Maybe you could license the "DNA Groove" analysis algorithm and use it to identify and categories songs by their feel and chord progression. Just an idea!

Posté Wed 05 Sep 12 @ 8:56 pm
Hi GroovinDJ,

I am interested in the separate tagging software you mentioned could you recommend some? Databaase management is my biggest challenge right now. I am how that VDJ8 becomes a one-stop shop for this.

Posté Wed 05 Sep 12 @ 9:02 pm
sonisphere wrote :
Assistance with TuneUp would be great. It corrects the Meta data in Itunes but this information doesn't port over to VDJ.

Regarding "shouldn't need to TuneUp integration". I subscribe to Xtendamix and MacMillian Group DJ pools for my content the Meta data is correct or present only 60% of the time via VDJ. I am not sure what the issue is I believe VDJ downloads incorrect ID3 tag information and replaces what is there in the original either way I find myself spending a lot of time manually correcting my data base. TuneUp comes in handy for many of the tracks that imported from personal CD' when I was an amateur.

http://www.propellerheads.se/products/recycle/
Recycle is a tool I used in my musician/production days. It analyses and breaks up a song/beat into its base elements and allows you to change the groove of a song.

VDJ only needs Recycle's analysis capabilities. The guys a Propellorsheads are very cool and easy to work with. Maybe you could license the "DNA Groove" analysis algorithm and use it to identify and categories songs by their feel and chord progression. Just an idea!

I think you need to get into reading your VDJ manual more because I've used the TuneUp program with iTunes and it does work, once your files are correct in iTunes they will import correctly, what I will recommend to you is work on One album, get it corrected then go into VDJ highlight the MYmusic folder and add to database, once that's done sort your browser by date and pick most recent on top were you will find your album track..

If the album cover doesn't show up then right click all and choose reimport from tags, some times you'll have to shut down and reopen VDJ after that it should show...

Posté Thu 06 Sep 12 @ 12:27 am
Hi Joey, Thanks for your help.

I followed the step you outlined to a "T" and it doesn't work.

I cleaned up an entire KO Hits library I bought. It looks great in iTunes. The album cover shows, corrected name, genre and it says "Cleaned by TuneUP" in the comments in iTunes. When I go to VDJ/itunes folder the incorrect original name and genre is still listed. Could it be that I am Using Mountain lion OS?

Your help is appreciated as TuneUP works surprisingly well in iTunes. My life would be bliss if this meta showd up in VDJ. Please direct me to applicable page in the manual if you believe I am in user error.

Posté Thu 06 Sep 12 @ 1:16 am
I have contacted TuneUp support.

It would be great if they had a stand alone version as I never use iTunes.

Posté Thu 06 Sep 12 @ 1:25 am
I think the issue could be that your tracks have ID3v1 info in them, and when iTunes does its thing, it puts the info into ID3v2 tags...

When VDJ reads the tags, it looks at ID3v1 first.

I know right, not good!

It has been requested some time ago, that Atomix either swap this around to read v2 first, or drop v1 altogether.

We will have to wait until the next release to see if anything's changed.

The tagging software I use is Tag&Rename by softpointer - $29.95

Posté Thu 06 Sep 12 @ 5:32 am
sonisphere wrote :
Hi Joey, Thanks for your help.

I followed the step you outlined to a "T" and it doesn't work.

I cleaned up an entire KO Hits library I bought. It looks great in iTunes. The album cover shows, corrected name, genre and it says "Cleaned by TuneUP" in the comments in iTunes. When I go to VDJ/itunes folder the incorrect original name and genre is still listed. Could it be that I am Using Mountain lion OS?

Your help is appreciated as TuneUP works surprisingly well in iTunes. My life would be bliss if this meta showd up in VDJ. Please direct me to applicable page in the manual if you believe I am in user error.

It's not a "user error" i'm talking about, it's getting acquainted with the mechanics involved within the program that's all,...you will benefit from it, so kick back and enjoy..

Do you have the latest version of iTunes?, and No your os shouldn't make a difference that I know of, the information is in the media file tags that VDJ uses to import file information, but you can also use "From file names" also to import...

Now I like you to try this, download mp3tag program if you don't already have it, open mp3tag program and check your tags for that specific album.

If they don't show the problem is with iTunes, sometimes the correction does not write to the files tags themself... To check quickly in iTunes right click one of the problem tracks and choose "open in windows explorer" if the name doesn't show in the file, then open with mp3tag and make corrections.... Link to site http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ It's free and unlimited.

One more thing you could try, go to folders from VDJ right click on the iTunes folder and click on "Reload"

Posté Thu 06 Sep 12 @ 12:43 pm
Okay its fixed now.. From some reason I had READ ID3 Tags Title and artist turned off.

Yess.. I am happy. I have gained about 2000 tracks with accurate meta data. On Monday I will attempt to clean and update my entire database (after I back it up of course).

Posté Thu 06 Sep 12 @ 10:45 pm
By the way I don't know where this "DNA groove analysis" you speak of comes from, because ReCycle doesn't have anything like that.

I know what RecCycle does, but you seem to be talking about analysing song styles, not slicing drum loops.

Ah, OK I've found it now. You're talking about the ReGroove mixer in Reason not ReCycle.

The problem there is that VDJ relies on tracks have a steady beat, not one that "grooves" - because that throws out the accuracy of the CBG (beat grid). And if VDJ were to implement something that could shift the position of the waveforms around, I'd rather they enable warping (i.e tightening the beats ) than adding groove (loosening them).

Posté Fri 07 Sep 12 @ 5:02 am
Hi Groovin DJ,

I am not suggesting that VDJ manipulate tracks at all only identify rhythmic groove and chord patterns and allow grouping. I imagine an advanced form of compatible search that found remixes and that had not only a similar BPM but similar groove and chord progression. That would be cool.

Posté Fri 07 Sep 12 @ 12:55 pm
Glad to here you're ok now...

Posté Fri 07 Sep 12 @ 3:37 pm
sonisphere wrote :
found remixes and that had not only a similar BPM but similar groove and chord progression

Ah so you want it to do the DJs job!

It's bad enough people complaining about the flippin' sync button, let alone software that picks tracks for you!

Posté Fri 07 Sep 12 @ 4:50 pm
First of all... Sorry for my bad grammar. I am surprised that you made out what I was saying.

Consider it a tool not a DJ replacement. LOL

Virtual DJ actually created this business opportunity for me which recently has come in very handy since I lost my full-time job. Yes, I am not a "Real" DJ as I live off of the compatible search button and sync button. I believe being a musician who is good with computers allows me to fake until I make it. Now that I am available during the day I spend a lot time skimming through the libraries I have purchased learning the various artists, Hit songs and genres while surfing various playlist websites to understand what is current. I assist other DJ's for free mainly so I can learn how they transition the audience from genre to genre.

Give me a year and will be able to join the ranks of "real" DJ's without the crutches :^)

Posté Fri 07 Sep 12 @ 5:29 pm
sonisphere wrote :
First of all... Sorry for my bad grammar. I am surprised that you made out what I was saying.

Consider it a tool not a DJ replacement. LOL

Posté Fri 07 Sep 12 @ 7:46 pm
Sounds like you're doing OK so far soni...well done!

Yes the "compatible songs" filter folder is useful because it makes it slightly easier to choose a song which is around the same tempo and key - but bear in mind that picking songs that way can also limit you.

OK it makes for an easy mix if the tempo is the same, and a nice sounding one if the keys match.........but sometimes the best song to put on next is the one that pops into your head when you see the reaction to a track on the dance floor, not one that's being listed by software.

For example you could bump the tempo up by cutting straight into a faster song, you could change the mood by going up in key 1 or 2 semitones, like changing key for the end of a song. They will clash if you mix them, but cutting from one to the other will take it up a notch.

If you're a musician you'll also realise that a song can sound faster without actually being faster because it has a busier rhythm, so there's another way to increase the "feel".

Posté Sat 08 Sep 12 @ 4:40 am
last nights wedding went like a dream. The files were flowing like butter.

The way I mix:
-Pick a song I feel will get the crowd going
-Use compatible search to find similar BPM but most important similar key. ( most DJ's ignore the key but it is critical to a smooth musical transition)
-Sort by Genre and find the genre group/s set I am working in.
-The I sort by Ratings
-Use the scroll button on my Denon MC-6000 and audio preview to skim through potential tracks ( I don't remember names, titles and artist very well but if I hear a 1 second of music I know if it will work or not.
-I move all potentials to the playlist area.
-Then mix in the best choice.

With my database as tight as it is I have a lot more relevant choices to select from making me a better DJ.

Posté Sun 09 Sep 12 @ 3:08 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)