Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet Poor sound quality and stuttering. - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

Hi wondering if anyone can help please?

Im running 7.0.5b on a desktop, its a packard bell with a Pentium D 2.8 Ghz processor, 2Gb of RAM, Vista SP2, the inbuilt Realtek HD soundcard and a seperate internal C Media soundcard, and a Numark Omni Control. Theres nothing else on the system other than DPC latency checker and CCleaner, ie its a dedicated system no Anti Virus or anything.

Im getting alot of slow down that kind of makes it impossible to mix, sometimes the sound crackles a bit even though the latency is set to auto and safe mode, but what bothers me is even if im not mixing and just playing one track on its own i can hear itm for want of a better description, losing time. You can hear it almost miss a beat, almost stutter over it, then its ok for however many beats, then almost misses one.

Ive tried using the on board soundcard on the omni control instead but its impossible to use the headphones to cue, the delay between the internal and on board soundcards is too large.

Power options are set to high performance, the CPU indicator isnt even amber when this happens, kinda stuck where to go with it next?

Also its nearly a year since I last logged in, my download centre is showing 7.0.5b as the latest update, is this correct?

Posté Sun 30 Sep 12 @ 8:23 am
chunkymonkey2778 wrote :
latency is set to auto and safe mode

Have you tried not using safe mode?

chunkymonkey2778 wrote :

Ive tried using the on board soundcard on the omni control

the delay between the internal and on board soundcards is too large.

When you're using the sound card in the Omni Control then you shouldn't need to use your internal card(s) at all.

That's the whole idea of the Omni. Onboard sound and ability to cue.

The only exception is if you're using USB 1.1 (master out only, no cue).

Posté Sun 30 Sep 12 @ 10:01 am
I have tried not using safe mode yeah, but it starts crackling and popping straight away.

I hadnt thought of using just the omni soundcard though, thanks for that, ill try it now.

Posté Sun 30 Sep 12 @ 10:12 am
what should i have the sound options set to?

ive selected the w.d.m. numark driver, with the others set to single and simple.

the only way i can split it is by using the asio otherwise the headphones dont work at all?

how can i tell if im using usb 1.1?

Posté Sun 30 Sep 12 @ 10:38 am
You should be using ASIO...

Posté Sun 30 Sep 12 @ 2:27 pm
LOL.

Ok fair enough. I thought Id read on here a while back that it was only really a back up for if you didnt have a proper 2 card config or whatever.

Thanks for your help, ASIO it is then.... ;-)

Posté Mon 01 Oct 12 @ 7:58 am
I think you're confusing genuine ASIO with the freely available ASIO4ALL driver which tends to get mentioned around here a lot.

Read this

Basically, if you have a true ASIO card then you should use it. If you only have ASIO4ALL installed (and no proper ASIO card) then you're often better off without it.

Posté Mon 01 Oct 12 @ 10:05 am
You need to upgrade your RAM if you only have 2gb's. I use task manager to monitor my system while mixing and I noticed that I did not have enough RAM and that my music and videos did not play well during certain periods. I have since upgraded to 8gb's and have not experienced any problems to date! I can comfortably mix videos and MP3's, sample, and use the built-in sampler simultaenoulsy without issues. I have a HP Pavilion DV6-3240us laptop that maxes at 2ghz speed.

Posté Mon 01 Oct 12 @ 4:02 pm
I'm using the Numark ASIO driver that came with the Omni Control. So this is true ASIO is that correct?

Driver version is 2.8.17
Firmware is 1.0.2(k1).

Should I have ultra latency ticked? The latency settings are set at 128 samples - 3.9ms/25.6ms in the driver audio latency settings.

Its weird I can sit there and just play one track, not mixing or anything, and I can watch it either hesitate for a split second or almost like its missed a beat. Which then seems to affect the beat matching.

Ill try the RAM thing, thankyou, the thing i find weird is that it always used to run ok on this pc and ive never changed anything hardware wise. The only thing thats different from now than listening to some of my old mixes that were all fine and well beat matched were that they were mixed using a total control, not an omni.

Posté Thu 04 Oct 12 @ 3:54 pm
Ok so Ive rung the local computer store and apparently I cant go any higher than 3GB due to using Vista 32-bit.

I seem to remeber having this problem before where my motherboard will only recognise a maximum of 1GB in each slot, i only have 2 slots.

Having used the performance and resource monitors while mixing, it seems that my slowdowns or glitches are worse when the disk drive starts spiking, is there any way to do something about this?

Posté Fri 05 Oct 12 @ 8:28 am
128 samples may be a bit low for you. Try using 256 (it'll increase the latency though).

How naked is your computer? What else have you got running on it besides VDJ?

Playing two songs shouldn't tax a modern computer at all. DJ software could do that easily 10 years ago.

Have a look at the processes running in Task Manager and see how many there are.

Posté Fri 05 Oct 12 @ 8:59 am
Well its pretty naked. Theres no anti virus, no internet connection, no bloatware that i know of, all there is on the desktop is dpc latency checker, vdj, and crap cleaner.

CPU usage 20%.

Physical Memory 34%.

Processes 44.

Its still missing beats and glitching too.

In the performance monitor the disk is showing 99% highest active time, does this mean anything?

Im sure Ive read somewhere before about disabling disk caching. So I did that too.

How much do I read into how smoothly the visual bars/peaks scroll too? because theyre fairly jerky as well.

Posté Fri 05 Oct 12 @ 10:13 am
Hmmm well I've got more processes than you, and more RAM being used, but my CPU is only between 3 and 6% when playing two tracks in VDJ (default skin).

Oh that's another thing. Make sure you're running a skin that's native to your screen size.

Posté Fri 05 Oct 12 @ 10:28 am
Im using the vdj 7 1280x1024 2 deck skin on a 17" 4:3 monitor?

Thanks for sticking with me by the way, this is driving me bonkers as if i can get it running right itll be a nice little set up, really want to get some mixes banged out but not at the quality that this issue is causing.

Posté Fri 05 Oct 12 @ 2:51 pm
One thing I have noticed is that my pc fan is on high speed rather alot, even though its a brand new fan and the heatsink is dust free. So I took the heatsink off and there isnt much paste between the sink and processor, could this be a contributing factor?

Posté Fri 05 Oct 12 @ 4:14 pm
chunkymonkey2778 wrote :
One thing I have noticed is that my pc fan is on high speed rather alot, even though its a brand new fan and the heatsink is dust free. So I took the heatsink off and there isnt much paste between the sink and processor, could this be a contributing factor?

That is "Thermal Paste" which will serve as the cooling agent for the CPU without that the CPU will get hotter that makes your computer more slow and will not perform well. It's the stuff you put between your CPU and your CPU cooler, to aid in the transfer of heat from the former to the latter. There just has to be something between CPU and heat sink. All modern PC CPUs produce enough heat that they need a heat sink. Almost all of them need a heat sink with a fan. Many heat sinks comes with some sort of thermal transfer thingy pre-applied a patch of grease, or a square of chewing-gum-like semi-solid material.

You can add an ample amount of the Thermal Paste to help your CPU to be cold. Check below links where to buy the Thermal Paste.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_13?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cpu+thermal+paste&sprefix=CPU+thermal+p%2Caps%2C446

Posté Fri 05 Oct 12 @ 4:36 pm
Thanks, Id already bought some off ebay before i posted on here, hopefully this might cure the problem, ive had enough of playing around with settings for this and that just so i can have a cheeky mix! ;-)

Posté Fri 05 Oct 12 @ 5:04 pm
chunkymonkey2778 wrote :
due to using Vista 32-bit

This may be part of the problem. Vista is a very poorly designed and 'bloated' operating system. If you upgrade to Windows 7 (Or downgrade to XP if supported by your computer manufacturer) then you should get much better overall system performance.

Posté Sat 06 Oct 12 @ 2:14 pm
Ok, ill try it, its a 6 year old pc that came with xp on it with a free upgrade to vista when it came out IIRC. So Ill probably get my mate to stick XP back on it.

As an aside Ive put some paste between the processor and the heatsink and it seems to have stopped the glitching. Going by gamebooster the CPU temp is about 50 degrees C at idle, is that about right?

Posté Sat 13 Oct 12 @ 1:44 pm
It depends on how much work the CPU is doing. Please visit the manufacturer's website (Intel or AMD) to find the temperature range for the CPU. That should give you an idea whether it's running too hot or not.

Posté Sat 13 Oct 12 @ 3:40 pm
95%