Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet mixing inside VDJ or out?

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

currently i mix outside VDJ when at the club because i feel its more accurate then doing it inside VDJ but the only issue is finding a all in one solution that allows you to do both ( ie Dennon mc6000) any thoughts? do you mix inside or out?

Posté Wed 24 Oct 12 @ 3:47 am
Yeah I had an external mixer for a long time but eventually switched to the vci 400 so changed to internal mixing. It's not perfect because the EQ isn't great, but more than usable.

It also makes samples easier to use because you don't need a third channel on the mixer for them, it just comes out the main output.

The only thing I found was that with an external mixer I used to have auto gain set to "auto+remember" so that got all the tunes very close in terms of volume, so I only ever had to slightly tweak the gains. Now with the vci you have to turn auto gain off so that the gain knob on the vci behaves itself. So I have to do more gain adjustment now, and I had to tweak the mapping because the vdj standard gain control doesn't bring some itunes music videos up to the required volume- I just changed it to some "power_gain" setting to give it the range I wanted.

Oh yeah, and better recording quality because the signal doesn't have to travel along any cables, which is a plus point.

So, overall, I don't miss external mixing too much, but if the vci had an option for "external mix mode" like the mc6000 does, I'd have it set to that.

Hope that helps.

Posté Thu 25 Oct 12 @ 7:08 am
The reason that the gain knob isn't 'behaving itself' is because soft-takeover is used on the mixer section of MIDI controllers as a safety feature to avoid the sudden change in gain that could occur if the software and hardware knobs are not in the same position when you try to adjust the gain (The position of the software gain knob will change with each different song loaded, depending on the value that was determined by VirtualDJ during analysis.)

Simply move the knob to the correct position as shown on the skin and it will work. Alternatively, try mapping it to gain_relative instead - This will make relative adjustments as you move the knob, so allowing you to still use VDJ's auto gain without having to move the knob to the correct position first.

Please see: http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Soft%20Take-over%20or%20Non-MIDI%20Mixer.html

Posté Thu 25 Oct 12 @ 10:31 am
Thanks for all the input on this ! I really like the design of the VCI 400 but when i mentioned i thought it was more accurate to mix outside VDJ i was referring more to how well the software mixes the audio streams VS how the hardware would do the same job. I have thought i noticed subtle differences that may only be noticed in a loud club setting. I am nit picking just a bit here but having the option on more high end hardware ie VCI 400 and the new Pioneer controller would be nice.

Posté Thu 25 Oct 12 @ 4:58 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)