Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Quick question regarding professional DJs

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

rEsageHome userMember since 2014
I am confused considering I am not a DJ but am wondering:

Do DJs like Van Buuren, Tiesto ect... create their own music (from scratch) then mix their own music? or do they mix music already made?

and for DJs starting out:

Do they just use whatever music they want? be it from Tiesto to like Notorious B.I.G. or who ever, wherever, and just mix it?

Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question but I don't know the answer.

Thanks in advance!

Posté Fri 29 Aug 14 @ 5:07 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
The biggest commercial names bang it through ableton, it will be many layers of simple beats and synth lines as well as whole tracks (their own and others) and it is mostly prerehersed set and best described as a live re-edit
See http://deadmau5.tumblr.com/post/25690507284/we-all-hit-play
Of course there are other big names that do it all on the fly. (Carl Cox is great for old school on-the-fly precision dj'ing)

As for new dj's play the stuff you know and love, know you limitations first, then play for the crowd, I've seen technically low skilled dj's who have a great taste and are great with programming (reading the crowd) and the crowd loved it (John Peal never mixed but he was a headline act). I've played nights where I've hated the stuff I've played but playing a exam results party doesn't require much brain power (or taste)
A low skill successful mix will always go down better than a complicated mix that ends as a train wreck.
Knowing the technical stuff is important but more important is programming, If your playing early in the night you want energy levels to reflect that, if you're playing to a bunch of piss heads then shameless floor fillers is the way to go, it's not a science it's an art.

And finally you don't have to play out to be a dj, if you enjoy it (even without a crowd) and you keep digging for tunes, trying to improve your techniques then you're going the right direction.

Posté Fri 29 Aug 14 @ 5:50 pm
I think he is asking rather what makes a Dj a top Dj that makes him/her different than a local bar dj? it is the fact that they have made/published/and destributed their qwn original music plain and simple.plus they keep their promotional agencies pumping and working.the game started way ago and by the 90's it went multi-media with Tiesto releasing his concerts in dvd's.next is the a marque in the moon Lol

Posté Fri 29 Aug 14 @ 7:43 pm
rEsageHome userMember since 2014
Hey,

Actually, both responses cleared up what I was asking.

Much appreciated!

Posté Fri 29 Aug 14 @ 7:57 pm
The line between DJing and producing is getting very thin now, and sometimes it disappears & the two things merge.

Many of the big names either get into producing via their DJing or they were producers first then started DJing because of their success.

Producing doesn't necessarily mean creating your own tunes. Some DJ/producers do remixes of other artists tracks.

The amount of other people's tracks played by big names varies. Sometimes you'll find they play tracks like any other DJ. Sometimes they'll play just their own stuff.

If you're just starting out then concentrate on playing the well known tracks. No good playing your own stuff if nobody knows it - although you could chuck in a few remixes, as long as they have recognisable elements still remaining!

Posté Sat 30 Aug 14 @ 3:33 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)