Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet Volume issue

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hi I am using a Hercules Universal DJ Controller with VDJ 8 but the sound seems to be really low. All levels ie Mac volume, master volume on VDJ, deck volumes are to the max but still the output volume is low. I have tried in various clubs with various mixers/speakers etc. The settings on the mixers are good, but I have to have the mixer volume turned up very high to get a good level of volume to which can sound distorted. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Posté Tue 27 Dec 16 @ 3:33 pm
A controller such as yours is designed for home use, so the output level from the RCA sockets is likely to be consumer level. Controllers designed for pro use output a higher signal level, usually from balanced XLR outputs.

Consumer/domestic -10dBV
Pro audio +4dBu

There's nearly 12dB difference between the two signals.

By the way, you should not be DJing in "various clubs" unless you have a full Pro VDJ license. I won't ask how you're managing to use a controller without a license.

Posté Tue 27 Dec 16 @ 4:15 pm
groovindj wrote :
By the way, you should not be DJing in "various clubs" unless you have a full Pro VDJ license. I won't ask how you're managing to use a controller without a license.

He could be doing it for free. That would be EULA compliant because he is not "Making money using VDJ". Also, it seems very odd that the output would be intentionally lower.

I have learned many things in the past year about volume.

First things first, you should avoid using any extra mixers. With every mixer added comes a new level that could fail, and a new level of analog output that could have bad quality.

Second, setting volume at max is not the solution here. If you must use another mixer (eg: the one at the club) then what I have found works best is to set their mixer to 3/4 volume, and then control the volume with your mixer. I had a situation where I had to run my sound through 4 volumes! From mac, to mixer, to mixer, to mixer, and finally, to the speakers. Not a healthy setup. If you set each level for an untouched mixer to 3/4, it will be unlikely that you get distortion. Set all your untouched volumes to 3/4 (which in your case would be the Mac and the club mixer).

The EQ on VDJ should work just fine, so no need to mess with the club mixer.

Now to deal with volume.

First (and this could seem simple, just bare with me) make sure that you are using master output, and not booth output for the club speakers (it appeared that the controller had a booth output).

Set your gain for each deck (if it has it, I didn't thoroughly look at the controller) to slightly less than 12 o' clock.

Put your volume faders for each deck at max, play a track, and slowly turn up your master output until you have a good sound. If the master output is above 3/4 up, and it is still very quiet, then keep it at 3/4 and move on to the next step here.

If you are still not getting sound (and at 3/4 it should be LOUD) then move your attention to the speakers themselves in the club. If their speaker system is well powered, you should have absolutely no issue making it loud without distortion. I'm no audio expert, so I do not know how to properly set gain and EQ for a PA system, but I do know one thing: the speakers are amplified and can be adjusted to make them loud. If your volume at 3/4 is quiet, adjust the speakers to make them louder! The system likely has a gain, and a master. If I remember correctly, the gain on a PA system is how many volts are being put into it, and the master controls how much audio can be passed through the input (do not quote me on this, I am probably wrong). Once again, set the master on the PA system to about 3/4, then SLOWLY adjust the gain until you get the desired volume. You DO NOT want the gain to be too high, or you could damage the speakers (especially if they are passive speakers with an amp, as the amp could put out more than the speakers could handle). If they start to distort, turn down the gain quickly until they do not. If you get to about 1/2 of the way up on the gain, and it is still not loud, then proceed with caution.

If none of this works, don't worry! This information will be helpful in the future, but I am not sure what is going on with the controller. This is the sum of all I know regarding audio.

If it does work, then congrats to us both! You've fixed your setup, and I gave some useful information :)

Posté Tue 27 Dec 16 @ 5:37 pm
once again, I am no audio expert, so do not quote me on this!

Posté Tue 27 Dec 16 @ 5:39 pm
Eddie - in most clubs, being able to adjust anything to do with the PA system (beyond the mixer in the DJ booth) is not likely to be possible.

That kind of thing tends to be under lock and key, only for adjustment by either the management or their sound engineer.

Posté Tue 27 Dec 16 @ 6:19 pm
Well that could be an issue. Hope at least some of my information was useful :)

That is useful information for me too btw. Thanks.

Posté Tue 27 Dec 16 @ 7:23 pm
Can you help???

I can't not seem to get any volume output in editor i.e to mark hot point, sensor tracks etc

Can anyone advise me here

Ta...

Posté Sun 11 Jun 17 @ 8:22 pm
As per the Hercules website the Universal DJ Controller is only compatible software that is comes with is DJUCED [It may be compatible with VDJ8 i do not know]. I own the Herculese RMX and the RMX2. But now have moved on the Pioneer DDJ SX. But i still carry my RMX 2 as a stand-by along with my second laptop & spare HDD. I love my VDJPro 8.2 .When i first connected my Hercules controllers to my Macbook pro i had to download a firmware and on it there is a volume control you will need to turn up. Here is a link for your device drivers etc. I Hope you can get it sorted https://support.hercules.com/en/product/universaldj-en/

Posté Wed 14 Jun 17 @ 6:40 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)