Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet How to judge the quality of an unknown file - Page: 2

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

If you bought them from Beatport and Juno, then you should be directing your complaints at them. If they just say E.G. "well those are the files we were given" then you need to contact the label or even the artist.

Sometimes though, it's just the way it's supposed to sound.

The first time I heard One More Time (Daft Punk) I honestly thought it was a bad rip that some numpty had recorded through a device with AGC. I couldn't believe it was supposed to sound like that!

Same with Breathe (Blu Cantrell). There are some really odd sounding high frequency noises in that track, and it made me wonder if it was some sort of artefact.

Posté Mon 30 Jan 17 @ 5:47 pm

Posté Wed 22 Feb 17 @ 6:09 pm
Hmmm, I watched the video - but what does it actually do to determine the "fakeness"?

Is it just going on bitrate? I noticed it flagged a file as fake that was 256 bit rate (inside a 320). Hardly low quality.

There don't seem to be many (or any) settings that allow you to adjust the "fakeness level" either. IMO a bit rate of e.g. 128 isn't necessarily an indicator on its own of a bad quality file. It depends on the quality of the source material, the encoding etc.

I used to get punters coming up and praising the sound quality of my rig, when I was playing 64k mono MP3s. I've still got a few hanging round my hard drive too.

I think this s/w is only going to be any use if you source large numbers of files from dodgy places. If you're ripping them yourself or buying from legit sources then you shouldn't encounter low bit rate files inside higher bit rate ones.

Posté Wed 22 Feb 17 @ 6:29 pm
Yeah I think it's all about the fakeness looking into them. I think it flags anything which has an actual lower bit rate than how it is encoded.

Posté Wed 22 Feb 17 @ 7:32 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Yawn..the free software Spek, see link http://spek.cc/, has been doing this for years, and has checked thousands of my files. I'm a bit of an expert when it comes to looking at a songs spectrum. I can see a problem almost instantly.

Posté Thu 23 Feb 17 @ 1:10 am

Posté Thu 23 Feb 17 @ 1:21 am
I'm reasonably sure that the song metatag data does not ensure accuracy since it's a number entered one way, or another, while encoding a song, like the song artist, and title. I could be wrong..therefore the VDJ tag editor may not help??

Posté Thu 23 Feb 17 @ 3:13 am
bigron1 wrote :
Here's a little tutorial

That only mentions high frequencies. Quality isn't just about how much content above 16k a track has.

For a start, unless you're a spring chicken, you're not going to be able to hear that high.

Second, there really isn't that much musical content all the way up there - so even if you could hear it, it's not playing a major part in the track anyway.

In fact, I'd say that playing a track with lots of HF content on a PA system is potentially a bad thing.

Here's why - typical PA tweeters (compression drivers) are made of metal. They sound harsh.

A track with HF content up to 20k may sound fantastic on a hifi system with silk tweeters (if you can hear that high), but compression drivers are not going to do it any favours.

Better IMO to roll off the extreme high end before the signal gets to the speakers. It'll sound smoother, not so shrill.

Posté Thu 23 Feb 17 @ 5:51 pm
That simple tutorial is not very good, but it gets you started.

"That only mentions high frequencies."

I hope you fully understand what your seeing. Yes, frequency peaks are shown, but also the colours show the distribution of volumes across the frequency ranges with respect to time. That gives you a detailed picture of an audio file. By comparing a compressed file with its original lossless file you can visually see how much the compression process has altered the file.

Remember that part of a check on your audio files should include asking a teenager what they think of a song/sound since their young ears can hear things older people can't. Limiting yourself to just trusting your ears is foolish.

Another point..viewing an audio spectrum is the fastest basic check possible!
I can visually scan a file in a couple of seconds.

I find Spek very useful for checking the quality of any audio files I rip from cd, and also checking the audio quality of video files.

Posté Thu 23 Feb 17 @ 6:49 pm
I know it sounds a little mad, but you could see how loud the bass drums are due to the colour in their frequency range, and at a glance!

Posté Thu 23 Feb 17 @ 7:56 pm
It's 2017!!! Why is this even an issue??

If you are even questioning your tracks then throw them out and find a different copy, problem solved!!

Posté Thu 23 Feb 17 @ 8:16 pm

Posté Thu 23 Feb 17 @ 8:36 pm
You're late to the party (and didn't read the thread). That was posted yesterday.

Posté Thu 23 Feb 17 @ 8:44 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)