Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Music discussion

Sujet Club InsaNITY 120 - Page: 2

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

^^^ Amen to that.

Posté Wed 17 May 17 @ 10:44 am
Olduffer, thanks for the advise. I have done the first 3 things you mentioned in your list, and will see about doing the others. Renting equipment may be out of the question though, as I have bad credit. but it never hurts to ask and find out.. One of my cousins is married to a wedding planner. As soon as i got my equipment and cards, I talked to her about it, but it's been 2 years, and nothing. Then again, ever since I mentioned to my dad about me wanting to be a DJ, he went and told all my relatives never to hire me for any parties or anything. So, I think she's following his words. He's against me being a DJ of any kind. He doesn't consider it real work.

As for everything else that's been mentioned in the entire thread, I gave it some thought. I plan to completely remove all mentions of money from my site in the next week, and just post mixes up. I'm still going to try and get myself out there, but no more am I going to advertise it on my site. I haven't had a job at all since I bought all my DJ gear, as this was supposed to be my business, and I was going to devote all my time practicing and getting work. No, I didn't quit my job, it just ended, and I decided to go ahead and buy all the stuff before I ran out of money. Basically, my attitude is, if I can't be a DJ, I don't want to be anything.

Posté Wed 17 May 17 @ 4:36 pm

Posté Wed 17 May 17 @ 4:38 pm
OldufferPRO SubscriberMember since 2014
DJ InsaNITY 74 wrote :
Olduffer, thanks for the advise. I have done the first 3 things you mentioned in your list, and will see about doing the others. Renting equipment may be out of the question though, as I have bad credit. but it never hurts to ask and find out.. One of my cousins is married to a wedding planner. As soon as i got my equipment and cards, I talked to her about it, but it's been 2 years, and nothing. Then again, ever since I mentioned to my dad about me wanting to be a DJ, he went and told all my relatives never to hire me for any parties or anything. So, I think she's following his words. He's against me being a DJ of any kind. He doesn't consider it real work.

As for everything else that's been mentioned in the entire thread, I gave it some thought. I plan to completely remove all mentions of money from my site in the next week, and just post mixes up. I'm still going to try and get myself out there, but no more am I going to advertise it on my site. I haven't had a job at all since I bought all my DJ gear, as this was supposed to be my business, and I was going to devote all my time practicing and getting work. No, I didn't quit my job, it just ended, and I decided to go ahead and buy all the stuff before I ran out of money. Basically, my attitude is, if I can't be a DJ, I don't want to be anything.

I admire your determination. I'm no one to preach to anyone, but in this life you will find sacrifices will have to be made to obtain the things you want. There are jobs out there, get one, work hard, save as much as you can, and gear up a little at a time if you have to. If you have to, buy or trade for used gear. If it looks like crap, clean it up, refinish it, do whatever it takes, and make sure it sounds good. Never give up on your goals, strive to prove the naysayers wrong, and keep your dreams realistic. Look at me, my dream was to be cruising the carribean on my 80 ft yacht, with the Swedish Bikini Team as my crew. NOT GONNA HAPPEN! Good Luck to you, keep your chin up, work hard, and you'll get there.

Posté Wed 17 May 17 @ 5:23 pm
DJ InsaNITY 74 wrote :

Ok, something is not right here. You are 42, your Dad should have no bearing on your life. DJs are a dime a dozen (us pros are 25 cent a dozen), so if you are not working, there has to be more to it. Are you saying you can't even get a gig if you are free? Maybe you will have to start there, as so many of us have done. Your website looks better than mine, so don't change it. I don't want to hold you back, but you can't eat by posting mixes on this forum. Spend more time getting gigs, and less time making mixes. Creativity on your part is meaningless at this point, if you and other DJs are the only ones listening to you. If you do one free gig and are any good, I guarantee you will get another free gig. In time start charging.

Now let's get realistic about "Basically, my attitude is, if I can't be a DJ, I don't want to be anything". Let's just think about that for a second.........................OK, times up. Back down on Earth, this is just not feasible for you at this point and time. Straight talk, "You don't have it like that yet". I don't know if you have a family or not, but you do have some obligations, even if it is just you. Food, shelter, even toilet paper cost money. All of us have this same ambition, but it did not happen over night. Some of us still have day jobs, because it cost money to fulfill our dreams. So, start networking and learning from other DJs, (We are not all friendly). Do some free gigs. Everyday I'm Hustling because if I don't I don't eat. You will just have to hustle harder, and get a job doing something so you can make your dream come true.

Posté Wed 17 May 17 @ 8:16 pm
>>>>>>>Your website looks better than mine, so don't change it<<<<<<

I'm not changing it, other then to get rid of any mention that I'm a mobile DJ and looking to make money off of it (which all info to that is now gone). I've tried for 2 years, so I'll just stick to making mixes and posting up for people to hear. I'm perfectly happy with that. As for free gigs, I've tried that too a few times. Played a pool party for free at my former apartment complex. At the next party, they hired someone to play instead of getting me, who offered to play for free again. Played New Year's for free at my cousin's house. Unfortunately, thanks to my dad calling him and the rest of my family, I'm forbidden to play any of their parties ever again.

Posté Thu 18 May 17 @ 9:25 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)