Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Sujet Sync the software between two computers

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

CannenPRO InfinityMember since 2016
I'd like to see a feature in VDJ that will allow me to have my backup computer running at the same time and be in constant sync with my main computer during a gig.

For example... Let's say I have a song playing and playlist setup on the main computer during a gig. Off to my side is my backup computer. That computer has it's output running to another channel on my mixer or aux on my controller.

I would like a feature where the two computers have the same playlist and the software is at the exact same point in the song on the backup. If something goes wrong on my main laptop, I can just switch to the sound coming out of the backup until I have the main computer sorted out and fixed. That way, we won't lose our position or playlist in the event of a crash.

Use case would be something like during the first dance of a wedding or the ceremony during the wedding march. If something goes wrong, switch to the sound coming out of the backup laptop and continue.

Good idea or bad? Or is there an alternate solution?

Posté Wed 14 Feb 18 @ 1:46 pm
djdonnPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Not sure if you can do that. Maybe a USB cable with a Y splitter from the controller to the 2 laptops?

I think it's a bit of overkill. If you have 2 laptops running, just have the backup configured identically with folders up and ready, decks loaded with things like 1st dance etc. For important things like 1st dance, you could start the 2 machines manually at or about the same time.

The likelihood of a machine crashing is very low, especially if it's never crashed before and it's maintained (kept clean and OS updated).

Posté Wed 14 Feb 18 @ 2:27 pm
CannenPRO InfinityMember since 2016
djdonn wrote :
Not sure if you can do that. Maybe a USB cable with a Y splitter from the controller to the 2 laptops?

I'm thinking that they could be linked in a way like VDJ remote except more.

djdonn wrote :
I think it's a bit of overkill. If you have 2 laptops running, just have the backup configured identically with folders up and ready, decks loaded with things like 1st dance etc. For important things like 1st dance, you could start the 2 machines manually at or about the same time.

Seems to me that trying to keep 2 computers in sync while I'm trying to work is a lot. Add in any DMX lighting that you may be running and any other necessary devices and it all adds up. Personally, I'd like a hands off approach that would protect me against trouble.

I remember that for a while when VDJ8 first came out, it was crashing regularly if I did certain things. For example, when I used the track preview function. The program was locking up during gigs sometimes. Luckily they weren't serious gigs or moments like at a wedding. It would be nice to have some insurance.

Posté Wed 14 Feb 18 @ 2:59 pm
djdonnPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I'd be more stressed about trying to keep the 2 computers in sync. I mean, a 3 second interruption in the music may suck, but it isn't the end of the world. At least you're using a backup which is more than many do.

Anyway, if you figure out how to do this easily, let us know.

Posté Wed 14 Feb 18 @ 3:06 pm
Cannen wrote :
is there an alternate solution?

Of course there is. It's called a CD player, or an iPod, or a mobile phone - or any number of other devices that can play back music.

Regardless of whether or not you're using VDJ, a working DJ should always have a backup system primed and ready to go.

I don't see the need for it to be in absolute 100% sync. That's overkill. If something happens then it can be dealt with quickly enough by using the above methods.

Bear in mind that VDJ cannot be a slave to any other software or hardware device. It insists on being the master, so other things (which can slave) can sync to VDJ, but VDJ cannot sync to other things.

It's a shame because forum members have been asking for Ableton Link technology to be added to VDJ (Traktor and Serato already have it) but VDJ can't slave.

Posté Wed 14 Feb 18 @ 6:43 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)