Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet Autogain Auto+Remember not working

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hi, so I've been reading through multiple forum posts about the autogain functions, and through everything I've read I know that setting "Autogain" to "Auto + Remember" SHOULD normalize track volumes AND remember any changes I've made to the gain afterwards. However, I am testing this over and over with multiple tracks, and:

1) The sound doesn't seem to normalize at all... volumes are very VERY clearly different between tracks no matter what I do
2) The changes I make to the gain nob do NOT get saved/remembered when I try to play track again after loading another to the deck.

I have a huge playlist of over 500 tracks that I need to build from very old very low-quality tracks, and the volumes of the tracks are VASTLY different, so please... HELP

PS: Yes, I know I can use MP3Gain to do the files directly, but I would very much like to get this working first, before I venture into trusting a 3rd party software to automatically set gains for over 500 files of ancient tracks ..

Posté Fri 21 Sep 18 @ 10:45 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Did you check that the gain is actually not remembered? Hover with the mouse over the gain slider and check the value displayed.

Posté Fri 21 Sep 18 @ 11:02 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Vdj uses the same algorithm as mp3gain btw, so if that is what you are looking for just set autogain to auto

Posté Fri 21 Sep 18 @ 11:29 am
Did you check that the gain is actually not remembered? Hover with the mouse over the gain slider and check the value displayed.

Yes, I've checked.. it goes back to the exact same old value before ever being changed. Also, it's not just the value, it "sounds" exactly the same.

----------------------------

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/225264/VirtualDJ_Technical_Support/AutoGain_Doesn_t_Remember.html

Checked that whole forum post and no solution for the issue was posted..

---------------------------

Vdj uses the same algorithm as mp3gain btw, so if that is what you are looking for just set autogain to auto

Yes, and I know I "can" use mp3gain, but I want a solution where VDJ actually works and does the "autogain" like it's supposed to...

Posté Fri 21 Sep 18 @ 7:34 pm
You really shouldn't rely on automatic things so heavily...

Even if it worked and remembered the settings, you're not going to get all your tracks sounding exactly the same level.

The DJ should use their ears to adjust the volume of tracks as they go. That's the way it used to be done before computer DJ software and "auto gain" and it's still the best way.

Different tracks have different EQ, depending on where/when/how they were recorded, who mixed it etc. Some will sound louder than others even when the gain is exactly the same, because the mix of frequencies is different. Our ears do not have a perfectly flat response. We're more sensitive to some frequencies than others, and so if one track has more of the "sensitive" frequencies, it will seem louder compared to others.

That's where our ears come in. Adjust by ear to get it sounding the same, even if it isn't (according to gain).

Posté Fri 21 Sep 18 @ 8:03 pm
Just tried again, but auto+remember is remembering the gain changes for me.
Can you describe the process to see if there's anything different from how i tried?

Posté Fri 21 Sep 18 @ 8:06 pm
You really shouldn't rely on automatic things so heavily...

Even if it worked and remembered the settings, you're not going to get all your tracks sounding exactly the same level.

"The DJ should use their ears to adjust the volume of tracks as they go. That's the way it used to be done before computer DJ software and "auto gain" and it's still the best way.

Different tracks have different EQ, depending on where/when/how they were recorded, who mixed it etc. Some will sound louder than others even when the gain is exactly the same, because the mix of frequencies is different. Our ears do not have a perfectly flat response. We're more sensitive to some frequencies than others, and so if one track has more of the "sensitive" frequencies, it will seem louder compared to others.

That's where our ears come in. Adjust by ear to get it sounding the same, even if it isn't (according to gain).

As per my original post, this is not for a "DJing gig" or mixing. This is essentially for a very particular and tailored playlist that I will be providing for a restaurant chain, full or very old traditional ethnic music, where most of the tracks are of low quality... and we're talking about a currently compiled list of over 2000 tracks from around 14 different artists and from countless different online sources and references.

So while I appreciate the reply, it is a bit off point, here. Plus, I also mentioned that I didn't base my judgement on just the Db count, but rather the fact that the SOUND is unchanged, and that it change isn't saved/remembered.

--------------------------------------------------

Just tried again, but auto+remember is remembering the gain changes for me.
Can you describe the process to see if there's anything different from how i tried?

I think I might exclusively be for tracks already in "automix", because if I change the knob for a track while it is on a normal playlist, not on an automix list, it seems to actually save/remember the change.
But then, that is kind of redundant since I mainly need it for a playlist. So looks like I'll have to try the MP3Gain option and see how that goes..

Posté Fri 21 Sep 18 @ 10:07 pm
PyroLupus wrote :
As per my original post

Actually no, you didn't mention in your original post that you weren't DJing and that you were using automix etc. etc.

Regardless, what I said still applies. Different tracks have different EQs, and the apparent levels (to our ears) will vary from track to track because of that - even if they are all at the same dB level on the VU meters.

Posté Fri 21 Sep 18 @ 10:13 pm
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
So are you using Automix to play the music and adjust the gain as it goes? And then next time that track is in automix you want it to have the previously-set gain? Re-reading this thread it does seem that way.

And to be clear if you load a song to a deck, play it and get the gain where you want it, VDJ does remember it for next time whether loading to a deck manually or in automix?

Just trying to follow the bouncing ball here.

Posté Fri 21 Sep 18 @ 10:23 pm
Are you changing the gain while 2 songs are mixing?
Because in that case ut would be the gain of the first song that changes

Posté Sat 22 Sep 18 @ 2:18 am
As per my original post
Actually no, you didn't mention in your original post that you weren't DJing and that you were using automix etc. etc.

Regardless, what I said still applies. Different tracks have different EQs, and the apparent levels (to our ears) will vary from track to track because of that - even if they are all at the same dB level on the VU meters.

---> From my original post:
I have a huge playlist of over 500 tracks that I need to build from very old very low-quality tracks, and the volumes of the tracks are VASTLY different, so please... HELP

PS: Yes, I know I can use MP3Gain to do the files directly, but I would very much like to get this working first, before I venture into trusting a 3rd party software to automatically set gains for over 500 files of ancient tracks ..

I apologize for the misunderstanding. I thought mentioning I am building a playlist of over 500 old low quality files automatically implied I was using automix. And yes, as mentioned the files are vastly different in volume, quality...etc. hence my need for an automated solution that brings them closer to the same range, then I can fine-tune from there for the ones that seem too out of place/range.

---------------------------

So are you using Automix to play the music and adjust the gain as it goes? And then next time that track is in automix you want it to have the previously-set gain? Re-reading this thread it does seem that way.

And to be clear if you load a song to a deck, play it and get the gain where you want it, VDJ does remember it for next time whether loading to a deck manually or in automix?

Just trying to follow the bouncing ball here.

Ok, so when I try to adjust the gain on tracks loaded on automix list, it does NOT remember the changes... however, if I load the track manually onto either deck from the the normal playlist view, the changes are remembered. Not exactly sure why, but that seems to be the case. Maybe it's a feature I don't get.

-------------------------------------

Are you changing the gain while 2 songs are mixing?
Because in that case ut would be the gain of the first song that changes

No no, I change the gain halfway through the track after check multiple parts on the track to make sure I change based on the loudest parts to avoid unpleasant disturbances since the playlist is for a high-end restaurant chain.

----------------------------

On a separate note... anyone know why the "quote" tags are not working when I try to reply to anyone's messages?
They just show as plain text with no formatting differentiation between the part in quote tags and my reply to them.

Posté Sat 22 Sep 18 @ 5:53 am
PyroLupus wrote :
They just show as plain text

They're working just fine then. Why are you removing them?

It makes your posts really hard to read (trying to work out what's quoted and what isn't).

Posté Sat 22 Sep 18 @ 7:15 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)