Forum: General Discussion

About VirtualDJ and DJing in general

If you need extended support, contact our Support Team.
Forum Guidelines  (*) The moderators hold the rights to move or modify posts in order to keep the discussions clear or to facilitate the search.
Sujet Really odd speaker failure.
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I've never seen a driver fail this way. I noticed one of my cabs wasn't putting bass out, some sound but no displacement. I whipped of the grill, gave it a push and there was no compliance....
I took out the driver and gave the coil a check with my ohm meter, all was well there 5.6 ohm. So I guessed maybe the coil and former had jumped out the gap [unlikely but I was running out of ideas], so sliced the dust cover and again nothing looks wrong.

So I'm swearing now, looks like I need a new driver but if I can figure out what's wrong I might get away with a recone. Hey well if it's broken lets go for it, I cut the cone. But the still the coil won't move... and then I see it the pole piece has moved and trapped the coil!

I had a hell of a time removing the top plate and the pole piece from the magnet, the glue had all but gone but it's still a big bit of ferrous attached to a big magnet.
I just can't fathom how something held that well by a magnet can move. Anyone else had this happen?... ever [ or am I just lucky?]

A bit of digging and I found a as new driver for 60 quid so it's no so bad.

Posté Wed 14 Aug 19 @ 5:22 pm
Peavey?

Posté Wed 14 Aug 19 @ 8:03 pm
Nah, Fane, but they are old [from back when it was fane/wharfedale,]
but I know what you mean about the black widows they can rub on the coil but that's an easy fix with their basket-cone combo. I've not had the pole slip with them.

Posté Wed 14 Aug 19 @ 8:44 pm
After some thinking time, I know what happened, I pushed the drivers past xmax and that was enough to de-seat the pole piece [quite a kick, I had a fight separating the pole from the magnet], a bit of an engineering fail to have the fixing holes (basket to magnet) under the spider, [as mediocre as black widows are, field replaceable baskets are bloody good idea]
Hey well, live&learn,

Posté Mon 19 Aug 19 @ 9:12 pm