Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet DMX interface options?

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hi all, I am currently using an analogue 192 channel DMX controller with a KAM Par Bar, Chauvet Gig Bar Flex, 2 Beamz flat pars, Lazer with Led.
The Chauvet Gig Bar Flex is a new addition, replacing 4 individual lights. The problem I have encountered with it is that I want to use it's 20 channel personality but loose the last 4 channels because my controller only supports 16. I don't know of any way around this, (if you do, please let me know), so I am looking at upgrading the controller.

I am considering either a Chauvet Obey 70 Analogue, or a PC based interface type. I have had no experience at all with the latter so am looking for some suggestions. I am a mobile DJ that also does some live soloist jobs. I want ease of use and simplicity. Want to be able to create complex chases much easier than I can now. Prefer to have a "stand alone" option, so it doesn't have to be plugged into the computer once programmed, if possible? Would have to have an inbuilt mic if that was the case I expect? Not sure what to do. I am looking at the Chromateq range, they look pretty good. Anyway what do you guys suggest and why?

Here's some products that I wonder if would work well?
https://www.enttec.com.au/product/lighting-communication-protocols/open-dmx-usb/
https://dmxking.com/usbdmx/ultradmxmicro
https://dmxking.com/usbdmx/ultradmx2-pro
https://djcity.com.au/product/chromateq-lp512-dmx-interface-software/
https://djcity.com.au/product/chromateq-club-dmx-interface/

Posté Wed 25 Sep 19 @ 3:07 am
I have just read this guide: https://virtualdj.com/wiki/OS2L.html, as well as done more research.
Found the guide helpful, and think maybe I should use the Sunlite Suite 2 software?
I have found plenty of free software programs, but want one compatible with VDJ.
Also it seems all I need interface wise is the DMXKing ultra DMX micro?
Would that be right?

Posté Wed 25 Sep 19 @ 5:11 am
Have a look at some software/hardware called SoundSwitch. It's designed specifically for DJs, whereas a lot of other DMX software is either generic or for stage/bands.

There are threads on here about it if you want to read those before committing.

Posté Wed 25 Sep 19 @ 4:41 pm
You could set up 2 fixtures in your controller.... fixture 1 controls the first 10 and fixture 2 controls the second 10 channels?

Posté Wed 25 Sep 19 @ 7:00 pm
DJDaveLong wrote :
You could set up 2 fixtures in your controller.... fixture 1 controls the first 10 and fixture 2 controls the second 10 channels?

Thanks, I was wondering if that could be done.
So how would I go about this? I can only set 1 dmx address on the fixture, as far as I know.

Posté Wed 25 Sep 19 @ 9:40 pm
groovindj wrote :
Have a look at some software/hardware called SoundSwitch. It's designed specifically for DJs, whereas a lot of other DMX software is either generic or for stage/bands.

Thanks, I did come across that, I thought why spend $300 just on software? There seems to be plenty of free programs available that are highly rated.
Is that fair comment? Or is Sound Switch that much better?

Posté Wed 25 Sep 19 @ 9:45 pm
Ok, it seems SunLitePro is not free, you can only use it if you buy their hardware. It looks too costly to do that.
So I tried to install FreeStyler, and have run into a problem installing it. I get an error, as attached, has anyone here had that problem and if so, how'd you fix it.
BTW, I have verified that the file exists and have accessed it. It’s a weird one because it seems that the installer is wanting to change files to do with the original demo version of office? That demo version of office is not installed though, as I have a bought version installed.
I have emailed the FS help forum for help but am not holding my breath, so, any help appreciated.

Posté Thu 26 Sep 19 @ 1:30 am
It's often the case that DMX software is tied to a particular dongle. The software is cheap (or free) but the dongle costs $$$$.

Freestyler is OK considering the price (nothing!). BTW Freestyler installed fine for me - no error message and I also have Office (365) installed.

Posté Thu 26 Sep 19 @ 4:51 pm
DJDaveLong wrote :

Thanks Dave, I worked out how to do that.

Posté Tue 01 Oct 19 @ 6:11 am
groovindj wrote :

Hi Groovindj, I have had a good look at SS now as well as some other programs. The main thing i like about SS, is the auto loops. Seems like it would be quick and easy to get set up. I have read some threads on here about it, I couldn't find heap on it but in what I did find was a lot of negative comments about it. Have the issues been sorted? Or are some people still having trouble with it? What has been your experience? Do you like the auto loops?

Posté Tue 01 Oct 19 @ 6:18 am
Glad it worked.

Posté Wed 02 Oct 19 @ 1:24 am
Kenny Speed wrote :
What has been your experience?

I have no experience. I don't use SoundSwitch. I suggested it based on your requirements and my knowledge of what SS does.

Posté Wed 02 Oct 19 @ 4:56 pm
I have loaded a trial of SoundSwitch and have purchased the dongle. I will be setting it up and trying it out over the weekend. Looking like it should be pretty good. Here's hoping! Will report back next week.

Posté Thu 10 Oct 19 @ 11:11 pm
Kenny Speed wrote :
I have loaded a trial of SoundSwitch and have purchased the dongle. I will be setting it up and trying it out over the weekend. Looking like it should be pretty good. Here's hoping! Will report back next week.

you better own a mac, that's all i got to say about it, other than, you better own a mac. Ok.. I lied., It doesnt play well with windows. It loves mac and works really well with serato, but it hates windows and you better do A LOT of database editing of your music. Sorry, I tried it 1 year ago and NO.. you better own a mac

Posté Sat 12 Oct 19 @ 5:32 pm
burnyabad wrote :
Kenny Speed wrote :

you better own a mac, that's all i got to say about it, other than, you better own a mac. Ok.. I lied., It doesnt play well with windows. It loves mac and works really well with serato, but it hates windows and you better do A LOT of database editing of your music. Sorry, I tried it 1 year ago and NO.. you better own a mac

So far it's going ok, but you are right about editing the library meta data. A lot of my songs appear in SS blank because there is no meta data in the file.
The other issue that me and others are running into, is the only songs from VDJ that appear in the SS folder tree are Playlists & Virtual folders. This is a problem because I don't use playlists for everything and hardly use Virtual folders at all presently. I use mainly favorite folders, which aren't available in SS. You can access the root folders but when you load a song from them there is no beatgrid info. So they are useless. It will be a much longer, harder road than anticipated, too early to say whether I will persist or not. Also I found the auto loops aren't all that fantastic, even the auto scripting is not much better IMHO. I think if you are able to put the time and effort into organizing the data base, and scripting all the most played songs in your library then it could be good?

Posté Tue 15 Oct 19 @ 9:01 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)