Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet How to connect a stereo controller to an amplified MONO speaker

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hi, I need to connect my Numark controller (separate L and R RCA output) to a single amplified speaker with an XLR/TRS combo MONO (at least I would guess) input. I tried using a cable with 2 RCA on one end and a STEREO 1/4 TRS on the other hand. Not sure this is the right way. Any hints on what would be the right way to do this? Thanks!

Posté Mon 07 Oct 19 @ 9:45 am
One way would be to set VDJ to output in mono, then just run a single RCA to a mono jack plug.

Posté Mon 07 Oct 19 @ 9:57 am
I see, thanks for the tip.
The idea would be to use my usual stereo 10 meters cables/adapters. Do you think it may work setting vdj to mono, connecting only one RCA to the controller and the STEREO jack to the MONO TRS input of the speaker? Do I risk bad quality or even blowing the setup? This would be like your suggestion except the STEREO jack instead of the MONO, as I have this readily available.

Posté Mon 07 Oct 19 @ 10:07 am
You don't say what the speaker is, but if it's definitely a TRS jack (balanced) then it will probably be OK to use a stereo plug.

Circuitry inside the speaker will (should) be able to determine whether it's a balanced or unbalanced signal and deal with it accordingly - if the speaker is of a reasonable spec.

Best way is to try it. If you get a good signal level out of it then you should be OK to use what you have.

Posté Mon 07 Oct 19 @ 10:13 am
Get an RCA to XLR cable.

Posté Wed 09 Oct 19 @ 1:17 am
@groovindj: "One way would be to set VDJ to output in mono". In the audio setting I can indeed send master > mono1 and/or master/mono2. What is not clear to me is: in this way BOTH L+R of the master will be SUMMED toghether and send to the mono output? Or only one of the two channels? Thanks for clarifying this!

Posté Thu 10 Oct 19 @ 5:13 pm
sorry I think I found the answer myself. I played a L/R swapping test audiofile and indeed sending master>mono1 as you suggest it plays BOTH L+R into a same mono channel! Exactly what I needed!

Posté Thu 10 Oct 19 @ 5:23 pm
Rather than change the audio settings, you can assign mono_mix to a custom button and switch it on/off as required.

On the RCA to jack cable, use the white RCA for the connection, as that connects to the tip of the jack plug.

Posté Thu 10 Oct 19 @ 5:34 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
groovindj wrote :
Rather than change the audio settings, you can assign mono_mix to a custom button and switch it on/off as required.

Thank you, I learned something new. I'll be making that change to my setup.

Posté Thu 10 Oct 19 @ 8:59 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)