Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Disco SFX for Sampler - Page: 2

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

AarotronControlleristMember since 2020
Thanks djdad. The lasers aren't quite what I was looking for, but as you mentioned, hopefully someone might know exactly where to find them...

Posté Thu 02 Jul 20 @ 8:07 am
No one will be able to help you unless you are much more specific.

Your only description has been "pew pew laser", which is not what the sound actually is.

As you mentioned disco, and based you calling it "pew pew" I suggested it was a syndrum - as that's a classic disco sound. But you say no, that's not it.

So.........instead of just saying "pew pew" why don't you post the name of a song that has this sound in it? Link to a clip and give us the exact time that the sound occurs in the track.

I still have my money on it being a syndrum.

Posté Thu 02 Jul 20 @ 8:29 am
It probably is a syndrum (I have no idea!), I didn't say it wasn't, I just said syndrum wasn't providing me with the result I'm looking for.

I didn't realise you didn't know what sound I was referring to, I'm more than happy to elaborate.

It's not the perfect example (I'm struggling to recall a really good one), but Sylvester's Do You Wanna Funk has a similar sound at 4:09.
https://open.spotify.com/track/708DnJC8l1b4Bf4xg0GiBv?si=pg4hD6Q3R2y03SjGzhW2Gg
(It has a great example of the 'clap clap' at 1:41!)

I also like the more audacious 'pew pew pew pew' in Breakbot's By Your Side Part 2 at 1:21:
https://open.spotify.com/track/5tabVoe7vQLX9V1OYQnUda?si=Dwz5eoSmQDCmgo26WUloaA

Posté Thu 02 Jul 20 @ 6:45 pm
may be the lazer (?) sound in 'You got the power' by WAR 12'' extended version

Posté Thu 02 Jul 20 @ 7:09 pm
Those examples do sound more like the movie sound FX of lasers in space battles or a video game than a pure syndrum (like Ring My Bell or It Feels Like I'm In Love 'pew pew').

It's probably still a syndrum (they were used a lot on disco tunes) but with some added white noise.

I have a Boss PC2 that could probably get quite close.

Posté Thu 02 Jul 20 @ 7:48 pm
Just a thought, have you checked out the Extensions/AddonsSamples/Audio Effects?

There's loads of banks, some close to what you describe, you may be able to modify them to your taste.

Posté Thu 02 Jul 20 @ 10:05 pm
FlashbackDeejay - that is more of a Star Wars laser in that track compared to the quick double 'pew pew' I'm looking for

groovindj - yes Ring My Bell is the more traditional peeeeew! What is a Boss PC2?

djles - I'm not sure what you mean. Are they the effects that come with Virtual DJ? I couldn't find anything but I'm new to this so not sure I'm looking properly.

Posté Fri 03 Jul 20 @ 11:28 am
Aarotron wrote :
What is a Boss PC2?

Look it up using Google. There are some videos which demonstrate the sounds. If you watch/listen, you might find something close to what you're after.

Ditto with the original Pollard Syndrum. These devices can make sounds like your "pew pew laser".

There are a couple of close Simmons drum samples in my collection too.

By the way, I found that Spotify has quite a collection of sound effects, including "space guns" :-)

Posté Fri 03 Jul 20 @ 11:51 am
OK great, if you have something similar, please do share.

Posté Fri 03 Jul 20 @ 11:55 am
Search (use Google) for Simmons drum samples...

Posté Fri 03 Jul 20 @ 12:14 pm
Aarotron wrote :

djles - I'm not sure what you mean. Are they the effects that come with Virtual DJ? I couldn't find anything but I'm new to this so not sure I'm looking properly.

No, they are extensions that can be installed right from inside the program.

If you are relatively new to the software, then, you need to go into the settings page (gear icon, top of the screen) and I would strongly advise selecting the Tutorials, top left of the settings page. Inside there they are loads of tutorials one of which is Settings. Run that and you will find loads of information & demonstrations about the program and settings.

Cheers
Les

Posté Fri 03 Jul 20 @ 5:54 pm
Les, where do you find the extensions?

Posté Mon 06 Jul 20 @ 2:23 pm
On the top of the screen, the gear icon. This is on my Mac, on a PC I believe it is the left-hand side of the screen.

This is the display that opens up, select Extensions on the left as shown.

Select a bank to install (button at the right).

Then exit this page. Next open Lists & Advice and select Sampler, click on the sampler, and all the sampler banks are listed. Click on the one you've installed and the samples will show up in the centre browser.

There is a gear icon at the right of each that takes you to the Sampler Editor.

Of course you can do a search in the manual for Sampler for more information. ;-)
When running VirtualDJ in Window mode (not full screen), you will see the online manual at the top of your screen.

P.S. Don't forget to check out the Tutorials ;-)

Posté Mon 06 Jul 20 @ 5:10 pm
Ah thanks DJ Les, sorry I knew how to install sample banks, unfortunately I couldn't find anything in there like the 'disco pew pew laser gun' (which I now know is probably a syndrum)...

Posté Tue 07 Jul 20 @ 5:09 pm
Did you check out the Youtube videos (Boss PC2, Pollard Syndrum, Simmons drums...)?

You'll never find anything if all you look for is "pew pew laser".

Posté Tue 07 Jul 20 @ 6:14 pm
I had a look at the videos but didn't think they were relevant to what I was looking for. I was hoping to find ready made sound effects as I can't imagine I'm the first person to want these...

Posté Sat 05 Sep 20 @ 12:52 pm
Aarotron wrote :
didn't think they were relevant

Your loss. As I said back in July,
Quote :
These devices can make sounds like your "pew pew laser".

As these devices are effectively analog synthesizers, their sound can be tweaked. The chances of you finding a sample of one that's 100% identical to the sound on a particular record are extremely remote. If you insist on having the exact sound, your best option is to sample it from the record.

Posté Sat 05 Sep 20 @ 1:47 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)