Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet Crackling when near -1db on tracks

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

DjButlaPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Hello community!

I'm experiencing an odd issue im hoping to correct.
Equipment rundown:
Surface Book 2 15 inch
-16 GB Ram
- 64 bit
-Windows 10
- Nvidia 1060 GPU
Pioneer DDJ-SX2

So, I'm on the equipment, playing like the good music lords intended, and as I'm bringing in a new track( EQ on currently playing track adjusted to make sonic room for the new track's instruments and elements to come in, LIKE YA SUPPOSED TA), I notice with each bass kick that there's a cracking sound. I know its not the sound system, because the DJ next to me and every DJ before me hasn't had this issue. From what I've figured out, It's between the audio limiter in Virtual DJ applying compression in a funky way OR the buffer/ASIO that isn't playing nice with high volumes.

Auto gain is set to auto. Tracks downloaded from reputable record pools and appropriate CD rips.

I've adjusted my zero DB level to -3 for more headroom and aggressively kept it well within the green much to the chagrin of socially distanced club goers and the preferred volume levels. I've changed the bit rate from 44.1 to 48K and back. I cannot change the ultra latency settings as attempting to turn it off creates a TERRIBLE SOUND despite the buffer settings. Also possibly related, I cannot set the exclusive audio settings to on because then No sound plays out whatsoever. It doesn't happen when using WASAPI settings for the computer in home testing... I will be using the club's Numark NS7II to double check it.

Y'all I'm befuddled. I don't know enough to know whether these are separate issues or they're all connected and I just wanna play good music at a reasonable level.
Any assistance in this issue is greatly appreciated.

--DJ BELVEDERE--

Posté Thu 30 Jul 20 @ 9:03 pm
record it so we can hear what you mean and post here

you could try -6 on zerodb to rule out the limiter

Posté Thu 30 Jul 20 @ 9:50 pm
+ 1 on the -6db global setting. Check VDJ -> Settings -> Controller to see some settings specific to your controller which might help you with this.
I had a crackling issue with my DDJ-1000, and i was able to solve it by reducing the master output by 6db. I can still crank up the master on the controller when i need to, without any issues (until the speakers start complaining, that is).

Posté Sun 02 Aug 20 @ 7:12 pm
Update: So, i'll give the -6db a try. it did seem to clear up for a bit and now it's back. I did upgrade to a DDJ-1000 SRT and it seems to happen whenever I touch a knob or button(even on the opposite and muted or unused decks), extending even to hitting a cue point and everything freezes for 1/4th of a second with a shrill buzz.

Posté Sat 23 Jan 21 @ 1:44 am
DjButla wrote :
Update: So, i'll give the -6db a try. it did seem to clear up for a bit and now it's back. I did upgrade to a DDJ-1000 SRT and it seems to happen whenever I touch a knob or button(even on the opposite and muted or unused decks), extending even to hitting a cue point and everything freezes for 1/4th of a second with a shrill buzz.

Then it sounds like an audio buffer issue you mentiones yourself(buffer/ASIO), where your system can't continuously handle the current latency setting
Try setting your ASIO buffer/latency a little higher

Posté Sat 23 Jan 21 @ 5:03 am
Ok, a few updates.

It has to be a buffer issue within windows as it affects more than one program, more than one version of Virtual DJ (i kept the 32 bit version for legacy video effects) and the overall framerate of the software. Furthermore, since installing, on random occurrences, when hitting cue or play, i'll get a high pitched squeal from the playing deck ( even with the cued channel down and crossfader completely closed). I'll have to figure this out as This is All Happening Live while i'm working, so it's....not great...

Posté Sat 23 Jan 21 @ 8:57 am
oh, another issue. IT HAPPENS WITH NO CONTROLLER CONNECTED. playing through pc audio with no controller still has issues.

Posté Sat 23 Jan 21 @ 8:58 am
At that point just for testing purposes I would try to see if it gets better or worse when disconnecting the PSU.
It seems that something stretches your machine and it can't cope.
I would start with power / PSU testing and I would proceed to temperature monitoring next.

Since this issue happens with many controllers and without controllers, and many different apps, the common dominator is the laptop itself.

Needles to say that I would also try to disable every freaking "utility" software that come preinstalled with the laptop.
Dell's for instance are known for their "Dell Support Assist" software to create problems with any ASIO interface since at completely random intervals it will cause major sound drops on the ASIO drivers (huge DPC spikes)

Posté Sat 23 Jan 21 @ 11:05 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
At that point just for testing purposes I would try to see if it gets better or worse when disconnecting the PSU.
It seems that something stretches your machine and it can't cope.
I would start with power / PSU testing and I would proceed to temperature monitoring next.

Since this issue happens with many controllers and without controllers, and many different apps, the common dominator is the laptop itself.

Needles to say that I would also try to disable every freaking "utility" software that come preinstalled with the laptop.
Dell's for instance are known for their "Dell Support Assist" software to create problems with any ASIO interface since at completely random intervals it will cause major sound drops on the ASIO drivers (huge DPC spikes)

PSU make no changes, I've done a fresh install of windows with no bloatware. Still having issues.

https://youtu.be/GVDSER9CfJc
the following is a recording of the issue mentioned.
The video is recorded at 60 FPS and you should be able to hear the cracks on the kicks.

Posté Wed 03 Feb 21 @ 8:59 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)