Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet PAD_PAGE overwrites last selected slot

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hi!

If I have a command on a PAD or any CUSTOM_BUTTON executing PAD_PAGE 'NameOfPage', it overwrites the last selected slot.

Lets say I want to keep my 4 buttons with my favorized pad_pages, and have a custom_button for a special pad_page i want to use from time to time:
Everytime I press the custom_button, the last selected slot of the 4 pad_page-buttons gets overwritten with the pad_page from the custom_button.
After that I always have to choose the old pad_page for this slot via rightclick, and after that I can use it as normal until it gets overwritten again.
That's kinda laborious... Is there some fix or can this be fixed by the devs?

Posté Tue 20 Oct 20 @ 10:32 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
assign your custom button choice to slot 5
pad_page 5 PADNAME

Posté Wed 21 Oct 20 @ 4:46 am
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
locodog I knew you more combative ;)

The problem is the same as with effects, the ones with pad_page, added to the bugs with parameters & custom buttons
1) there are 4 slots but no way to know which one is currently selected
2) "pad_page" action can select slot but "pad_page" query returns pad page name selected in this slot, but not in a way to set a variable
3) even saving both old page name and new name, no way to know which the overwritten slot is (specially if another slot already have the same page)
4) if another button alter this slot, there is no way to know it
5) get_pad_page_name <index> only works for pad page
6) depending on controller/keyboard you may or not have named slots (and menus)

hopefully testing against "pad_page" is working : set savedSlot `pad_page 1 ? constant 1 : pad_page 2 ? constant 2 : pad_page 3 ? constant 3 pad_page 4 ? constant 4`
there is a workaround to query using custom_button name : get_text `pad_page && param_cast text` && param_cast text & custom_button_name 2
but it does not work as a custom_button ^^

so far as a pad button or as a mapped key: (change custom button number & the pad page)
holding ? set savedPage `get_text ''` :
var savedPage '' ? get_text `pad_page && param_cast text` && param_cast text && custom_button_name 2 & set savedPage 1 & set savedSlot `pad_page 1 ? constant 1 : pad_page 2 ? constant 2 : pad_page 3 ? constant 3 pad_page 4 ? constant 4` && pad_page 'THEPADPAGE' :
repeat_start_instant slotLoop 100ms 4 & get_text `pad_page 1 ? constant 1 : pad_page 2 ? constant 2 : pad_page 3 ? constant 3 : constant 4` var_equal padPage ? pad_page +1 : repeat_stop slotLoop & custom_button_name 2 & param_cast text & pad_page & set savedPage `get_text ''`

Posté Wed 21 Oct 20 @ 5:15 am
Ok... Thank you locodog, for your answer in first place!

So using a different slot is a first option...
But I hope you can see for yourself that this is at most a temporary workaround and NOT a permanent solution.

pad_page 5 overwrites the 5th slot, which is also shift + the first pad_page_btn.
Also there are controllers with 5 pag_page_btns, this would mean we have slots 10 with shift.
If they have doubleclick we have 15.
If there is shift+doubleclick we have 20 slots.

So to be safe, not only me, but everyone who wants to implement HIS IDEA with HIS OWN CODE has to go at least with slot 21 from the beginning on, if they don't want to eventually change every code later in every controller, skin, pad_page and custom_button which could contain some code with "pad_page".
And all this while knowing that there is NO DIFFERENCE between pad_page 'NameOfPage' & pad_page 1/2/3/etc. 'NameOfPage'.
This is a little too laborious and a little depressing to be honest, especially compared to the simplicity of the previous way.

So why not instead SIMPLY fix this logical error from the devs side one and for all?
Please do something to make this happen!

Posté Thu 22 Oct 20 @ 1:21 am
Was not aware there are more than 4 pages of padpages :
- translation files and docs stipulates 4 pages
- relative pad_page +/- 1 cycles 4 pages only (even with more affected)
- pad_page popup menu show 4 lines of pages of padpages

Yes there is BIG DIFFERENCE between pad_page 'NameOfPage' & pad_page 1/2/3/etc. 'NameOfPage'.

pad_page 'NameOfPage' selects the padpage for the current page of pads
pad_page 1/2/3/etc. 'NameOfPage' selects the padpage for the page of pads 1/2/3/etc and switch to it

as there is no way to know which page of padpage display ... it looks like they does the same but they don't

totally agree SIMPLY fix this logical error from the devs side once for all would be the best
but it seems there was a confusion between page (of padpages) and padpage (of pad buttons)
and side effects with retro compatibility with old implementation (pad_page is used to show the padpage for years)
and stuffs not already implemented/obsoleted but already/always documented :
pad_pages_button
pad_page_favorite
pad_page_favorite_select
pad_pages_select
other things, independant 4 pad pages only appears when pad_page is used from a controller key (even a KEYBOARD key)
before that 4 pages appears as "Page 1" up to "Page 4" after what onlr "current" is show as page name

Posté Thu 22 Oct 20 @ 11:29 am
Grok32Home userMember since 2019
I was using this and it broke. - Seiect... =[pad_page_favorite_select 1]
It used to go to the selected pad page now it just puts it in the slot. I used this to avoid the 4 pages at the top as my list of pages is long.

Posté Thu 22 Oct 20 @ 1:16 pm
So that there should be some conditions for it to work:

from a custom button or from the a pad button of the skin:
pad_page 5 "hotcues"
i get the "Page 5" and hotcues padpage
pad_page 1
go back to page 1 without modifiing its original padpage
the 4 pages still not there

from a key:
pad_page 5 "hotcues"
i get the "Page 5" and hotcues padpage
opens the 4 pages in menu
pad_page 1
go back to page 1 without modifiing its original padpage
the 4 pages lines still open

Posté Thu 22 Oct 20 @ 1:32 pm
andy-chiles wrote :
Hi!

If I have a command on a PAD or any CUSTOM_BUTTON executing PAD_PAGE 'NameOfPage', it overwrites the last selected slot.

Lets say I want to keep my 4 buttons with my favorized pad_pages, and have a custom_button for a special pad_page i want to use from time to time:
Everytime I press the custom_button, the last selected slot of the 4 pad_page-buttons gets overwritten with the pad_page from the custom_button.
After that I always have to choose the old pad_page for this slot via rightclick, and after that I can use it as normal until it gets overwritten again.
That's kinda laborious... Is there some fix or can this be fixed by the devs?

It temporary "overwrite" the active pad page select if you specify a "slot" to use that is not already in use. (so if you are say on button #3 at the buttons above the pads, it will temporarily set this as your custom, until you press the #3 button to revert back to default)

For as long as you use a number above the already in-use "slots", on most controllers that would be 4 + 4 (regular 4 buttons + 4 with shift pressed). If you use a "slot" already in use, the command sets a new pad page for that "slot".

So try : pad_page 10 "NameOfPage"

But maybe pad_page "NameOfPage" without any "slot" number should not change any slots, ideally.

Posté Thu 22 Oct 20 @ 1:37 pm
Quote :
It temporary "overwrite" the active pad page select if you specify a "slot" to use that is not already in use. (so if you are say on button #3 at the buttons above the pads, it will temporarily set this as your custom, until you press the #3 button to revert back to default)

For as long as you use a number above the already in-use "slots", on most controllers that would be 4 + 4 (regular 4 buttons + 4 with shift pressed). If you use a "slot" already in use, the command sets a new pad page for that "slot".

So try : pad_page 10 "NameOfPage"

But maybe pad_page "NameOfPage" without any "slot" number should not change any slots, ideally.

Thank you for that explaination.
Before I opened this topic I figured out how it works. I just wasn't aware that I could use endless slots.

But that's not even the point.
The main thing is that the developers are assuming people to change ALL THEIR CODES by adding numbers behind every "pad_page", just to NOT do unexpected things, instead of making it simple.

So the last sentence you wrote is absolutely correct and the most important:
"...maybe pad_page "NameOfPage" without any "slot" number should not change any slots, ideally."

Since you seem to belong to the devs team, could you please make this suggestion there?

Posté Thu 22 Oct 20 @ 5:22 pm
andy-chiles wrote :

So the last sentence you wrote is absolutely correct and the most important:
"...maybe pad_page "NameOfPage" without any "slot" number should not change any slots, ideally."

Probably meant to work that way, we are checking if its a bug ;-)

Posté Thu 22 Oct 20 @ 5:34 pm
Hey! :)
Anything new on this here?

Posté Fri 27 Nov 20 @ 4:23 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)