Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet RECURSE
when i open my drive (already connected), i can't see my files unless i do recurse. after all files are found i have added them to the database. All are karaoke files. when i do a search for a certain file, found it and added it to the karaoke list, i delete the song in the search field. now after this my whole list is empty again and i need to reload (recurse) the whole drive again to see all the files again with over 500.000 tracks this takes forever. All tracks are sorted by make, collection and album. Why doesnt VDJ just old all the tracks visual in the list. or am missing somethin
g

Posté Sat 21 Aug 21 @ 1:17 pm
Many ways..

Could for example make a Filter folder (that shows all your karaoke songs), either under general filters or directly inside the folder you have open.

And/or you can turn on rememberRecurse in settings, so that you only recurse once

Posté Sat 21 Aug 21 @ 3:56 pm
thanks a lot that is great help.

Posté Mon 30 Aug 21 @ 7:24 am
BTW:
Recurse on the root of a drive is not the best way to use your browser.
As Rune said above, it's much more better to create a filter folder instead.
The main difference is that "recurse" searches your drive for all files every time you use it.
This means that the speed depends mainly on your Hard Drive reading speed.
On the other hand, a Filter Folder searches the database instead and it's almost instant.
If you go the Filter Folder route, then you will have to use recurse only once after every time you add new files on your drive (so that they get added to database)
After that, all becomes instant again.

Of course, a much much better method would be to brake your drive contents to Virtual Folders and Filter Folders (or even Favorite Folders) depending on your needs, so that you don't scroll a list with thousands of tracks which is a real pain.

Finally, you don't have to recurse a drive in order to search it's contents. As long as the files have been added on the database, you can perform a search right away from any place (since I doubt that you actually scroll between 500.000 tracks)

Posté Mon 30 Aug 21 @ 8:09 am
I have never understood why people use recurse. doesn't make sense to me when the internal DB does everything so much better.

Posté Mon 30 Aug 21 @ 8:18 am
Well, with default VirtualDJ settings (which means that "autoSearchDB" setting is set to yes) it makes sense to recurse the root of your music collection once every time you add new tracks on it.

I mean, recurse will search all subfolders and it will capture all new files and add them to database.
After this procedure is complete, then all your filters, search e.t.c. will work properly (including filters like "not scanned")
Therefore, you don't have to dig to every folder you added new files in order to add them to the database.

Finally, recurse makes sense on some cases depending on the organization of your files.

If you have a main folder like "2020" and this folder has subfolders like "EDM","RNB","RAP","TRAP" e.t.c. and you want to see ALL songs released in 2020, it makes sense to recurse the 2020 folder.

But it doesn't make sense to recurse any folder that will result thousands of tracks. It's just not practical.

Posté Mon 30 Aug 21 @ 8:28 am
I have the music files on my hard drive in different folders based on genre. When I browse in VDJ I would always recurse the top MUSIC folder to read the contents of all the sub-folders, showing me all songs regardless of genre, when I wanted to. As I have fewer than 10k files and a fairly new laptop, this didn't take long and would always add new files into the database. It would take maybe 1 or 2 seconds. While it was scanning, you could see the number of files adding up next to the search box, with an ellipse (dot dot dot) after the word "files." Once it finished, the ellipse went away. Since the most recent update, when I recurse the same way I used to, it again, only takes 1 or 2 seconds, but now, the ellipse doesn't go away. It stays there forever, as if it's still reading something, but the number of files never changes. I let it run this way for a good 24 hours, and it still acts as if it's reading files. Any idea why this changed with the last update? Is it trying to read files somewhere? Or is the ellipse just there, not signifying anything? (Yes, I know there are other ways to do things but I like it this way.)

Posté Sun 12 Sep 21 @ 4:28 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
sometimes strange things appends
i.e.:
1) analyzing one film 2H took me next to 8 hours (I reported this)
if it had been a folder with movies ... could have need far more than a week, not only 24H or so
maybe this can be your case...

2) recursed a folder and selected "Properties" gave me 48 files not analyzed
typed "Analyze" get Scanning 1/46 ... in status
but box still said 48 files not analyzed but button was disappeared
job took seconds though but what about the 2 tracks in difference ? folders containing unanalyzed tracks ?

often VDJ does not refresh things (folders, message boxes, browser, tooltips, covers...)

Posté Sun 12 Sep 21 @ 5:08 pm
Update: I checked properties of the top "MUSIC" folder and it found 70 files not analyzed. Don't know why. I analyzed them but still have the same issue with Recurse. The mystery continues.

Posté Mon 13 Sep 21 @ 11:06 am
CornerDJ1 wrote :
I have the music files on my hard drive in different folders based on genre. When I browse in VDJ I would always recurse the top MUSIC folder to read the contents of all the sub-folders, showing me all songs regardless of genre, when I wanted to. As I have fewer than 10k files and a fairly new laptop, this didn't take long and would always add new files into the database. It would take maybe 1 or 2 seconds. While it was scanning, you could see the number of files adding up next to the search box, with an ellipse (dot dot dot) after the word "files." Once it finished, the ellipse went away. Since the most recent update, when I recurse the same way I used to, it again, only takes 1 or 2 seconds, but now, the ellipse doesn't go away. It stays there forever, as if it's still reading something, but the number of files never changes. I let it run this way for a good 24 hours, and it still acts as if it's reading files. Any idea why this changed with the last update? Is it trying to read files somewhere? Or is the ellipse just there, not signifying anything? (Yes, I know there are other ways to do things but I like it this way.)

The "ellipse" (dot dot dot) means that there's more text there that doesn't fit to get displayed.
On older versions there was no indication if recurse was active or not when you browsed a folder.
Newer versions now include an indicator on status bar.
So, before it was: "766 files" and now it is "766 files (r)"
Therefore in your case it's not that recurse doesn't end/stop. It's just that the whole text doesn't fit any more and it always show the "dot dot dot" part to let you know that text doesn't fit.
If you try to recurse a smaller directory that will return less than one thousand tracks most likely you'll be able to see the new "(r)" mark instead of the "dot dot dot"
The new "(r)" mark had to be added because now you can tell VirtualDJ to remember if it should recurse or not a folder.
Therefore when you open a folder and that folder is now recursed there should be an easy way to tell the difference.

PS: Whether or not the text fits on the available space depends on a lot of things. Of course it depends on the length of the text itself, but also depends on the size of the font that your skin uses for the status/search area of the browser, and your screen resolution.
I'm just providing this info in case you're wandering why the text cuts off in the first place.

Posté Tue 14 Sep 21 @ 5:43 pm
THANK YOU! You are correct!

Posté Wed 15 Sep 21 @ 11:43 am
s_perksHome userMember since 2022
Can you stop a recurse while it is running?

Posté Fri 04 Feb 22 @ 3:41 am
Yes, by browsing to another folder

Posté Fri 04 Feb 22 @ 7:28 am
Hey all. I am on windows 10 running pro and most up to date vdj. Over the last few weeks i have been losing more and more of my karaoke songs from the list on external hard drive. I have tried recursing but after a while it says drive is full its a 2tb and is only half full any ideas what i can do cause i am tearing my hair out and cant find a fix. I have tried deleting xml files and everything

Posté Thu 10 Aug 23 @ 7:41 pm