Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet Microphone Background Noise
I have been struggling with this for some time. I am using a Condenser mic and yea it picks up every sound in my house. Before I go to something like Krisp to process the noise, is there anything built in to VDJ that will filter out this noise. I am doing live streaming audio over the internet using the Broadcast feature so this needs to be realtime filtering. I would Love to use the Nvidia app but alas this a laptop without Nvidia GPU.

Posté Mon 13 Sep 21 @ 6:47 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013

Posté Mon 13 Sep 21 @ 7:05 pm
Before you start filtering or gating, start at the source: make sure you're using the right type of microphone. A dynamic or condenser microphone does not have to make much difference in terms of picking up background noise, but the first thing you should look at is what kind of directional characteristic the microphone has. There are, among others, types that pick up equally from all directions like a sphere (the omni-directional ones), and types with directional characteristics with everything inbetween (cardioids, figure 8’s, on-axis, side-axis etc). It is not weird to say that you should NOT use an omni-directional microphone for your application as a start, because you do want to reject the sounds not coming from your mouth as much as possible. In your case a cardioid or a super-cardioid microphone is mandatory. So first of all make sure that you have such a microphone and it does not matter if it is a condenser or a dynamic one. To find out, look at the polar plot of your mic. All professional brands provide a polar plot with their technical data on which the directivity characteristic can be read. Placement can also have an influence: do not point the microphone to the noisiest side of the room and do not mount the microphone directly on a surface that is able to transmit contact noise, for example a table on a cracky wooden floor without isolating the mic. An interesting detail: look at the frequency range of the microphone. A microphone for speech doesn't have to run down to say 30Hz in the low end, or say 17kHz in the high end. The human voice doesn’t cover those ultra low and high frequencies, so the microphone does not have to cover them too. Very low-frequencies in particular can be very disruptive without filtering, especially if the user boosts the lows by means of an eq to make the voice sound a bit fuller. And many mixers with simple tone controls like DJ-mixers have a “shelving” eq for the low frequencies only (as well as the highs). This kind of eq’s not only controls the area around the fixed frequency, but boosts or cuts the entire area below the set frequency (for the lows). Some mics come with built-in high-pass filters. Filtering with a gate is possible, as Locodog suggests, but not always practical. And in fact it is not even a filter, it is more like a switch that opens and closes, so it lets the signal hold or pass (with variables according to the kind of gate). Therefor it is often critical to set the right threshold value; just (open) enough to keep your soft passages audible (whispering and articulating), and just (closed) enough to keep the noise out of the signal. Gates are simply not intelligent enough to distinguish the background noise from the main signal. So first to do is start at the source: 1/ reducing the noise in the room (if possible), 2/ choose the right microphone, 3/ taking care of the best placement and mounting, and 4/ speaking technique: speaking close to the microphone on-axis ensures the best signal-to-noise ratio (signal to background noise). If that all doesn’t help, try locodog’s suggestion 😉

Succes!

Posté Mon 13 Sep 21 @ 11:30 pm
J J ZrnPRO InfinityMember since 2019
I use a vst plug in called Dialog...I love it..it has the eq, de noise, compressor..etc.. in it..and i have custom buttons (thanks to the help of the folks on here) to engage it and to open up the GUI to make all the changes i need as i go along. There might even be some free ones out there compatible that can get you a gate or de noise for your background noise if thats all the mic processing you want. Its very easy to add the vst plug in ....the VST plug in is Virtual Studio Technology (VST).. Its an audio plug-in software interface that uses digital signal processing to simulate traditional recording studio hardware in software.

Posté Thu 16 Sep 21 @ 2:33 pm