Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Apple M2 chip
TVD UKPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Has anyone used this chip with VDJ, is it supported?

Posté Thu 04 Aug 22 @ 9:20 am
https://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Minimum%20system%20requirements.html

As for M2 my advice would be "don't do it" - because it's a chip only made by Apple, only for Apple products. No other manufacturer uses that chip. You're backing yourself into a corner.

Apple supply Rosetta for all the software (i.e. most) that's not designed for their chip, to translate Intel instructions into M1/M2 language. That's an extra process you could do without.

What if the chips prove unpopular and Apple drop them?

Posté Thu 04 Aug 22 @ 12:47 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
VirtualDJ has had native support for M1 for almost two years now, and I think most other software has native versions too, so Rosetta taking extra power will hardly be a concern now.
The M1 was also already really impressive in the performance it brings, and even the baseline M1 runs VirtualDJ without issues. (For video use I would recommend 16GB ram instead of 8 of the baseline though)

It seems unlikely that they would suddenly become unpopular, given how successful the M1 was, and that they have been moving over more of their lineup to the new chips, but even if they would drop it, it simply means that your next computer would not have an Apple Chip anymore. As long as you can copy your data from your old machine I don't really see what you would have lost or why you would have been backed into a corner.

As for the M2 specifically, I don't have personal experience (only have the M1 Macbook Air myself), but given that it's just an upgrade of the M1 I wouldn't expect any major differences or issues.

Posté Thu 04 Aug 22 @ 1:09 pm
A lot of people saying the M1 air is the best of the bunch. The M2 is £250 more expensive for not that much of a performance difference.

My son has the M1 air and he loves it, I'm Windows through and through. I really dislike the way MacOS works and I've always felt VDJ performs better on windows machines.

Posté Thu 04 Aug 22 @ 1:13 pm
For price/performance the M1 Air is indeed the best choice, but if you an afford it I think I would personally appreciate the smaller screen bezels of the M2 Air.

Posté Thu 04 Aug 22 @ 1:16 pm
My reasoning was based on posts I've seen around the internet on various forums.

People who've bought the Apple silicon complaining that there's still no support from X Y or Z software company, or that something doesn't run well under Rosetta (etc etc).

Seems similar to all the problems people have after blindly updating their MacOS whenever Apple release a new one, only to find that things which used to work, no longer do.

Posté Thu 04 Aug 22 @ 1:44 pm
TVD UKPRO InfinityMember since 2007
kradcliffe wrote :
A lot of people saying the M1 air is the best of the bunch. The M2 is £250 more expensive for not that much of a performance difference.

My son has the M1 air and he loves it, I'm Windows through and through. I really dislike the way MacOS works and I've always felt VDJ performs better on windows machines.

Don't do the m1 air anymore have to get m2

Posté Thu 04 Aug 22 @ 3:39 pm

Posté Thu 04 Aug 22 @ 3:48 pm
I used VDJ on my 2020 mac book air m1 8gb for the first time this weekend, I must say a lot more smooth and responsive compared to my windows laptop.

Posté Mon 08 Aug 22 @ 12:59 pm
MexynPRO InfinityMember since 2016
Hmmm...just to answer the original question of this thread. I am using VDJ2023 with MacBook Pro 2022 /M2 Chip and it works without any issues.

Posté Sat 03 Dec 22 @ 5:40 pm
beekanePRO InfinityMember since 2014
So, i bought a MacBook pro m2 max with 32GB ram (refurbished 2023 model) and it is flying fast.

sure, it is overkill for virtual dj but nonetheless it is fast as heck. It makes creating stems seconds work instead of minutes on an intel-based windows pc.

so, if you have some money to spend. i would go for a mac (in short)

Posté Thu 01 Jun 23 @ 7:05 pm
Hi , I have purchased an Apple M2 and have had it since early June and have since experienced issues where it would freeze mid track and occasionally have pink lines showing , any help would be appreciated

Posté Thu 07 Sep 23 @ 9:16 am