Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet New MacBook for stems 2.0 with external SSD ???
Hello, I'm thinking to buy a new MacBook so the stems work in real time in high quality as my current Huawei Matebook Pro X 2020 cant do real-time stems in high quality and stems preparation takes too long to do while I'm in the mix

I'm between a MacBook M2 air with 16gb ram or a M1 pro with 16/32ram.

will the extra ram help or is 16gb enough ?

Also if i have all my music on a 2TB Samsung T7 shield portable SSD will that effect the real time stems or slow down stem preparation ?

Posté Mon 02 Jan 23 @ 11:03 am
I have the 14" M1 MacBook Pro with 16gb RAM and find the RAM more than enough. An external SSD won't make any difference to the Stems creation.

Stems 2.0 generation on M1 MacBook Pro 16gb

Venbee, Goddard - Messy In Heaven (Official Video).mp4
Music video, length 3:00 minutes, stems completed = 15 seconds

Schak feat. Kim English - Moving All Around (Jumpin) [Extended Mix].mp3
mp3 length 7:08 minutes, stems completed = 25 seconds

Joel Corry, MNEK - Head & Heart (Extended Mix).m4a
Promo Only m4a length 4:05 minutes, stems completed = 15 seconds

I had the dilemma of 14" M1 MBP or 16" M1 MBP. The difference was £394 for 2 extra screen inches in the UK. At home I output from the HDMI port (not on the Air) to my 42" TV, but, when gigging the 14" screen is fine due to the top-quality screen. Also, the battery fully charged in the morning will last me all day even with an external USB-powered hard drive connected, amazing!

Incidentally, check out the Amazon price as it is usually considerably cheaper than Apple. I bought mine for £1735 compared to Apple's price of £1899.

Rumours are there is a strong possibility that Apple will release an M2 chip version of the 14" & 16" MBPs in the near future. It depends on whether you want to wait or go for it now.

My Systems Specs;
Main System - MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2022), Apple Silicon M1 Pro, 16gb, 500 gb SSD, macOS Ventura 13.1, External WD Passport Ultra 2Tb HD formatted exFat containing Music & Video databases. VirtualDJ v2023-m b7388.

Controllers - Denon MC7000, Denon MC6000 Mk2.

Posté Mon 02 Jan 23 @ 7:37 pm
Many thanks for your kind reply and information !

Posté Mon 02 Jan 23 @ 11:09 pm
The M1 MacBook Pro looks very impressive, for creating 2.0 stems in real time.

djles.co.uk wrote :
Rumours are there is a strong possibility that Apple will release an M2 chip version of the 14" & 16" MBPs in the near future. It depends on whether you want to wait or go for it now.

I am not a Mac user, (and don't know much about Macs), but wouldn't the M2 be a step down from the MBP, and not a reason to wait, unless it is at a lower price point?

I only see these specs for Macs:

Posté Tue 03 Jan 23 @ 7:29 am
I think Les is referring to the fact that the new Spring 2023 Macbook Pros will have M2 Max and M2 ultra chips that are currently ureleased and will perform better than the M1 chips in the current macbook Pros.

Posté Tue 03 Jan 23 @ 10:10 am