Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet Quadraphonic sound
djliborPRO InfinityMember since 2013
Hi, this is probably a crazy question, but I have to ask. Is it possible to convert stereo sound to quadraphonic sound using VirtualDJ or some compatible hardware? I would like to upgrade my DJ services and start using four speakers spaced out instead of two speakers. I read that quadraphonic sound has its own regularities such as phase shift, delay, etc.

Posté Tue 14 Feb 23 @ 8:49 pm
Quadraphonic sound require that the music is recorded with 4 independent channels.

I'm not sure what music catalogue you have, but i do not have any music that is quadraphonic.

If you mean you would like to add another 2 speakers to your DJ rig, then the easiest thing to would be daisy chain the additional 2 speakers to your current speakers. That would give you sound output to all 4 speakers while maintaining the stereo sound output.

Posté Wed 15 Feb 23 @ 10:14 am
Thank you for answer. Yes, if I don't find anything better, I will only play stereo sound in the four speakers. However, I read that there are software or hardware converters that can conjure up a more "spatial" sound from a classic stereo track in the case of four speakers.

Posté Wed 15 Feb 23 @ 11:20 am
It will be a nightmare to setup.
There's a reason that ALL PA applications work with stereo (and sometimes even mono)

Spatial optimization of a "quadraphonic" recording/source will provide good results only around a very specific small area near the center of the area covered by your speakers. An all other areas the sound is going to be much worse (it will definitely sound "wrong")

Large PA's (like those used in concerts / festivals e.t.c.) use a lot of processing gear to ensure optimal audio experience around the 80% of the area covered by the system. However they still use MONO for the subs and Stereo for the satellites.

Posté Wed 15 Feb 23 @ 12:18 pm
Ok, thanks for the explanation. If it's very technically complex, I'll stick with stereo sound for four speakers :-)

Posté Wed 15 Feb 23 @ 2:33 pm