Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet Beat jump moves loop
Is there a way to prevent beat jump from exiting a loop?

If I set a 32 beat loop, am currently 28 beats through the loop, and jump forward 8 beats, I would expect to be on beat 4 of the existing loop. However, in VDJ, it seems that doing this causes the loop to exit instead.

Posté Thu 11 Apr 24 @ 5:26 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
It behaves as you wrote here, meaning that it doesnt exit the loop and goes back from the beginning of the loop.
I use the pads of the Beatjump pads page. Do you use some other action ?
Do you get this when Deck is playing or paused ?

Perhaps you have LoopAutoMove setting to No ? If so, put it back to default Yes

Posté Thu 11 Apr 24 @ 10:03 am
djdad wrote :
It behaves as you wrote here, meaning that it doesnt exit the loop and goes back from the beginning of the loop.
I use the pads of the Beatjump pads page. Do you use some other action ?
Do you get this when Deck is playing or paused ?

Perhaps you have LoopAutoMove setting to No ? If so, put it back to default Yes

I've made a video of the issue here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtqph8FXpyU

I do use loopAutoMove=No, because if you set it to Yes, the behaviour is even worse. With Yes, a new loop is created after jumping out with a loop in point at where the play head lands after the jump, which is usually no longer even on phrase.

Here's a video with loopAutoMove on, where rather than escaping / exiting the loop, the loop is randomly recreated from scratch based on where the jump lands, which is basically never correct. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIt7JwBge-g

Posté Thu 11 Apr 24 @ 12:15 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
forward it would be like this

loop 0 ? beatjump +1 : param_bigger get_loop beatjump ? nothing : param_bigger `param_add 'param_multiply get_loop loop_position' beatjump` get_loop ? beatjump +1 : param_add 'param_multiply get_loop -1' 'beatjump' & param_cast relative & goto

a backwards button like this

loop 0 ? beatjump -1 : param_bigger get_loop beatjump ? nothing : param_smaller `param_multiply get_loop loop_position` beatjump ? beatjump -1 : param_add get_loop 'param_multiply beatjump -1' & param_cast relative & goto

There might be simpler ways, but that's what I came up with.

If it's an encoder it will need something a bit different.

Posté Thu 11 Apr 24 @ 2:46 pm
Case of encoders it would be something like this.

param_bigger 0 ? loop 0 ? beatjump +1 : param_bigger get_loop beatjump ? nothing : param_bigger `param_add 'param_multiply get_loop loop_position' beatjump` get_loop ? beatjump +1 : param_multiply 0 & param_add "param_add 'param_multiply get_loop -1' 'beatjump'" & param_cast relative & goto : loop 0 ? beatjump -1 : param_bigger get_loop beatjump ? nothing : param_smaller `param_multiply get_loop loop_position` beatjump ? beatjump -1 : param_multiply 0 & param_add "param_add get_loop 'param_multiply beatjump -1'" & param_cast relative & goto

Posté Thu 11 Apr 24 @ 5:51 pm
locodog wrote :
forward it would be like this

loop 0 ? beatjump +1 : param_bigger get_loop beatjump ? nothing : param_bigger `param_add 'param_multiply get_loop loop_position' beatjump` get_loop ? beatjump +1 : param_add 'param_multiply get_loop -1' 'beatjump' & param_cast relative & goto

a backwards button like this

loop 0 ? beatjump -1 : param_bigger get_loop beatjump ? nothing : param_smaller `param_multiply get_loop loop_position` beatjump ? beatjump -1 : param_add get_loop 'param_multiply beatjump -1' & param_cast relative & goto

There might be simpler ways, but that's what I came up with.

If it's an encoder it will need something a bit different.

Wow, nice script! I'm away, but it does look like this would be exactly the behaviour I would expect. Although I do wish it was built into the core, since I'm not sure when the existing behaviour would ever be preferrable and updating every skin and mapping, along with the 9 pages of beatjump pads, with this doesn't seem like a very fun time :P

It's almost as if `beatjump` / `beatjump_pad` / relative `goto` is being considered internally as a "cue" for the loop logic when really it's not.

Posté Thu 11 Apr 24 @ 7:09 pm
beatjump is just that, a beat jump, it doesn't consider anything except beatjump_size.

I'm not overly keen on commands being setting dependent, I can write my way round it but it does make writing scripts for others lengthy.
But this case, you're probably right it probably does warrant a setting,
beatjumpLoopWrap or something like that.

Good thing is between your wish & my solution, we've made a case for it and how it can be done. Right now 24 release is the main focus of the devs so if you need the pad page rewriting quick that's something I could do.

Posté Thu 11 Apr 24 @ 9:10 pm