Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Help with ADSL?

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

I have just had an ADSL line fitted consisting of the splitter, a 4 way modem with the link between modem and computer by way of a ethernet network card using an RJ45 (i think) cable.

No internet though!!

The computer has all the dns, ip addresses and such entered in and internet explorer says its looking for the page, but nothing, ever?!

Is there something obvious that needs to be done that i have overlooked? The 'ADSL status' LED on the modem is bright green to show its there and working. Despite this, could there still be a problem with the service?

It's all new to me so I'm pretty stuck and the ISP won't help much, just tell me to leave it 3 weeks and then try again to see if the service has been turned on or something, even though they say their computers say the connection is live and working.

HELP! PLEASE!

thanks

DJ PieEyedPiper

Posté Tue 03 Jul 01 @ 12:28 am
I know this is the general chat section, but your taking the piss, right?

Posté Tue 03 Jul 01 @ 12:56 am
Do you have the correct driver installed for the service?

Posté Tue 03 Jul 01 @ 6:22 am
Wish I was taking the piss, and yes, i have the right driver installed. Thing is, i have this written down to enter in to the computer:

INTERNET: IP 323.456.457.123 (not actual no.s)
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.6

TCP/IP (realTek ethernet card)

IP 129.323.432.4
DNS 6546666
Gateway 5645667

what goes where?!?!?1

Posté Tue 03 Jul 01 @ 2:50 pm
Go into your network setup, and highlight the tcp/ip for your ethernet card, and click on properties... you should find all the appropriate boxes to enter your info

Posté Tue 03 Jul 01 @ 5:54 pm
Where in the world are you Pied Piper? - I work for an ISP in England, if you are here, we would certainly help you to set it up, but BT do the installations, and they won't leave until it is working.

I suggest you tell your ISP to take it back with a full refund, and find a proper ISP who will do the job properly - or you could send a tribe of indians to kill them - cowboys!!!

Posté Wed 04 Jul 01 @ 12:18 pm
Dave - I'm in Spain, and unfortunately a monopoly situation exists over here with the phone companuies, as in, there is only one - Telefonica - so I have had to get the line off them :0(

The engineer that installed it couldn't understand why it wasn't working after he installed everything and so fobbed us off with an excuse about Madrid having to 'turn us on' and that might be the cause of the problem. He promised to phone Monday,(2 days ago) by which time he said, it should be on and working. He has not phoned, and we cannot get hold of him directly, we have to phone Terra (Telefonica's name for its ADSL side) and ask them for help, they have given many excuses ranging from Madrid running tests on the phone lines in my area to "maybe you will be switched on in 7 or 8 days". Whats the word on this? Do they really have to switch you on after the installation? Does it take a week or so? And these line tests they say are going on for a month, would they disrupt the service? The green LED for 'ADSL STATUS' is on, so it seems it's there. According to my brother the computer is sending information up the ADSL line, but nothing is coming back...

I don't know if the line has a problem, if we are not 'connected' or if the computer settings are wrong.

The ISP has finally (after 6! phone calls) agreed to send an engineer, when they can...considering it took them 7 months to finally install the line, I think it likely we will not see the engineer till Christmas. I'm sure they'll still charge us the £40 a month anyway though.

This kind of behaviour from businesses is rampant in Spain, monopolies and beauracracy stop you at every turn. You don't know how lucky you are in the UK.

By the way, Dave, I'm on your ICQ contact list as James, 27539638.

Posté Wed 04 Jul 01 @ 1:40 pm
wow.....In New York all you do is plug into your phone line and turn on your computer. That crap is rediculous. Wish I could help ya Buddy. Since it is so easy here, I don't know half of what u r talkin about.

Posté Thu 05 Jul 01 @ 7:58 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)