Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet I have an idea. - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

Whilst sitting here trying once again to pump out a mix that doesn't sound like a 5 year old did it, I thought of an idea whereby professional DJ's using these forums could help people like me who just can't mix very well, despite a year and more of practice.

What if some DJ's with a bit of spare time could help ailing bedroom DJ's by listening to a very short mix done by the DJ wannabe, and then offering helpful advice, pointing out where the person is going wrong and what should be done.

I know there are lots of websites with information on mixing, but ideally someone needs to hear the mix and then point out what is being done wrong. I know most of the 'theory' of mixing, but there must be a lot I still don't know that only professional DJ's in the business could help me with.

I know some people have a natural talent for mixing, and others who will never be very good despite years of practice, but it would be nice to be able to record a mix that I am not too embarrassed to play in front of friends. If only someone could say "I've listened to your mix, I think this is a problem, try doing this instead...", etc.

This is indeed a tall order and may be impossible in practice, but a short mix encoded as an mp3 wouldn't be too hard to transmit to someone else, especially if there was a channel on IRC for it, where you could DCC send the mp3. Even the advice of a capable bedroom DJ would mean a lot to me, and would almost certainly assist me, and anyone else who submitted their work.

What do you all think?

DJ Wanabee

Posté Tue 06 Nov 01 @ 6:04 pm
Great idea!
why not create a website dedicated to this?

Dj T-bone

Posté Tue 06 Nov 01 @ 6:44 pm
T-bone?? aren't you an owner or club remixes in audiogalaxy??
Anyways, the idea sounds good to me, i would be more then happy to help you with remixing and stuff...peace...
KOLYAtheDJ

Posté Tue 06 Nov 01 @ 8:11 pm
No I'm Not, I'm sorry but I do dj and maybe we could change e-mail adresses and try to find other people who feel the same about this ...
Greetz
Dj t-bone

Posté Tue 06 Nov 01 @ 9:34 pm
My e-mail is : tibone@pi.be
Now if you guys give me yours whe could't get in touch ...
Greetz
Dj T-Bone

Posté Tue 06 Nov 01 @ 9:39 pm
It's so damn simple (numbers are beats)

Song 1 (red)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Song 2 (green) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 etc....

Mix when 16 fits with 1
But you must have it in your blood...
It's a musical thing, not a math thing.

|_|_|_|_|_|||_|_|_|_|_|_|_| Song 1

Song 2 |_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|

Mix after the repeating beats

Posté Tue 06 Nov 01 @ 10:15 pm
That is the theory behind mixing and is well known by most people, but there is a lot more to it than simple beatmatching.

Getting the beats in sync and then starting them at the right time is relatively easy, but doing that and then just smacking the crossfader from one side to the other does not work. You need to know exactly when to bring the tune in, and exactly when and how to take the old tune out.

Posté Tue 06 Nov 01 @ 11:57 pm
Yup... that's why I said you must have it in your blood...

Posté Wed 07 Nov 01 @ 12:18 am
Work private parties and clubs for 12-13 years or so... after a while you'll just figure it out.

Posté Wed 07 Nov 01 @ 12:49 am
It only took me like a year to figure out... Unfortunatly, I'm a vinyl "illetterate"... but in the 21th century, you can be a flawless DJ without using them...

Posté Wed 07 Nov 01 @ 1:13 am
DJ OmniHome userMember since 2001
Well, mixing, as most of you say, is not as easy as beatmatching. I at first tought that with beatmatching and a good ear, I'd be able to make very good mixes, but after experimenting, I've realized that making a good mix often requires more.

I won't go into all the details of mixing but I found out that I'm more comfortable when I mix with a good EQ and a sampler as my supporting tools.

And your idea of sharing mixes to get comments is indeed a very good one. I myself would be very interested in this.

DJ Omni

Posté Wed 07 Nov 01 @ 2:13 am
why not start a group on audiogalaxy, tell people on this forum about it, and go from there. I am sure plenty of us amateur dj's would like to get some feedback from more experienced ones, and I like listening to other people's mixes on audiogalaxy to hear what can be done.

peace.

Posté Wed 07 Nov 01 @ 5:58 am
Everyone I give a try at mixing makes the same mistake. They try to mix in too quick. Very small changes are necessary so that the listener doesn't detect a change in what they're hearing. Spend at least 32 bars before fully dropping out the old track. Just small changes and slightly bigger ones when you have a cymbal crash or variation which will disguise it. Drum 'n' bass you can get away with shorter fades. Really depends on your music style, though.

Posté Wed 07 Nov 01 @ 6:41 am
hey, i am a member of audiogalaxy and i think it would be a great idea to start up some sort of forum discussion group.

Ive found that to mix well, you must mix a sample of the song coming up next towards the end of the current song.....like a sample of words (if there are words in the song).

but this is hard using computer programs because u can hear the beats behind the voice or sample.

DJ VoLCoM

Posté Wed 07 Nov 01 @ 7:11 am
Let's start a group!, maybe on audiogalaxy or somewhere else, doesn't really matter ...
Any suggestions?
Dj T-Bone

Posté Wed 07 Nov 01 @ 2:09 pm
What about a site where all the atomix users can make their mixes available in realaudio?! :-) sort of a commuinity with a forum where you can give comments to a mix!

If you think that's a good idea i'll build this site?

tell me what you think about that

Posté Wed 07 Nov 01 @ 11:59 pm
Amazing how no one saw this suggetion when I posted it like 3 months ago...hehe

The Goner

Posté Thu 08 Nov 01 @ 12:33 am
I think the suggestion of a realaudio site is excellent and the most practical.

Posté Thu 08 Nov 01 @ 8:10 am
I've played at several (paid!) gigs in New Zealand and have DJed heaps of inner city warehouse flat style parties.

Although I still have lots to learn, I'm sure I can be of some assistance to those that want a "peer review".

I usually mix house, hard-house, trance, hard-trance, psy-trance and the occasional break-beat...

If anyone has any mixes in these styles they want pointers on how to improve, then send them to me and I'll see what I can do (compressed please! MP3, RealAudio etc).

Al

al@commtest.co.nz

Posté Thu 08 Nov 01 @ 9:35 am
Great idea! :-)

Posté Thu 08 Nov 01 @ 11:48 am
87%