Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Music discussion

Sujet Going Live

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

I'm planning on playing for the first time at a small club in the near future and would like to make sure I have all the equipment that I will need.

- Dual Pentium III 1Ghz, 1Gb RAM
- AtomixMP3, of course
- Sony MDR-V700DJ Headphones
- Behringer DX500 Mixer
- Gemini X-3 600watt AMP
- 2 Gemini GSM-3200 Loudspeakers (dual 15", 5 tweaters, horn)
- and necessary cables

Will this be sufficient for a small club with maybe 100 people?
Are there any vital pieces of equipment I may be missing? (Hopefully nothing big since I'm broke :)

Brad

Posté Wed 20 Feb 02 @ 6:46 am
You have a dx-500 ? How is that ? I was considering getting one before i found out that behringer mixers are kinda shitty
:-(

I NEED TO KNOW how you check the output levels before you acutally play it ? I have a DX-100 and the PFL comes before the input faders, so i cant check the levels by ear. How does it work on yours ? Is the gain control system on yours automatic ?

Thanks soooooooo much for your help brad !
Dave.

p.s - Can you be any more set with a laptop that a dual 1ghz processor?!

Posté Wed 20 Feb 02 @ 8:32 am
Here is how I use my mixer:

Setup:
I set the channel faders to +6db and leave them there, then adjust the main out by playing a song and pressing the PFL button on and off on that channel and adjust the main out until the VU meter shows is showing the same level for both PFL on and off.

While playing, I usually try to aim for +4db on the VU meter by adjusting the gain. When getting the next song ready, I press the PFL button for that channel and watch the VU meter, while adjusting the gain to get it to +4db. When I got the gain setup right. Stop the song, and wait for the cue to begin the crossfade...

Now, with AtomixMP3 you can set the Autogain option and this pretty much elimnates any need to adjust the channel gains on the mixer.

I don't know how much of this is the same on the DX-100, hope this helps though.

Brad

Posté Wed 20 Feb 02 @ 9:57 am
Yeah. Its different on your since you have independant gain controls on yours ... mine doesnt !

What really sucks about mine is that there is no sure way to check the levels.

Anyone want to buy and AWESOME Behringer DX-100 Mixer ???

Posté Thu 21 Feb 02 @ 3:01 am
I saw a picture of the DX-100 and it looks to me that adjusting the output levels would work like this:
Aim for 0db on your channel faders, press the PFL for the incoming track (VU meters now show level of incoming track) and adjust the channel fader using the VU meters. Everything would be the same as what I said earlier except that you would be using the channel faders instead of the gain controls.

Brad

Posté Thu 21 Feb 02 @ 6:49 am
The problem with that is, the channel fader as no effect on what the VU meter displays when the PFL is activated for the single channel. It is the same with what goes into the headphones !!! It seems like such a guessing game ?!!!

I hope you can see what i am saying ! For now, i am using the auto-gain in atomix which do not work that good, in my opinion.

Isn't there a software compressor out there for windows ... An algorithm that normalizes the outputs on the soundcard ?
There has go to be some out there ?

Thanks for your help Brad !!! Any more thoughts ?

I'm probably just going to get this gemini PS-540i mixer off ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1333143687

lemme know what you think !!!

Posté Thu 21 Feb 02 @ 7:22 am
We'll, I can't think of anything else to try for the DX100. I really like my DX500 though, (Even though the sampler is shit).

The mixer on ebay looks like a good pick at a good price to me. Another possibilty for a little bit more would be the Gemini PS626Pro2 for $116.96 from 123dj.com

As far as a compressor for Windows: Try www.fasoft.com I haven't really taken a close look at any of their programs, but there might be a solution there.

Brad

Posté Thu 21 Feb 02 @ 9:00 am
wow man i just read all of this and would like to know if there is any 1 else like me that hasent got a clue what thay wore chattin about lol =)~

Posté Thu 24 Oct 02 @ 6:35 pm
Brad:

If you're going to do a gig in a club with an established in-house system, you might not even need to bring your mixer and amp and all that stuff. Just something to consider. Scout the location first and if it has a dj booth then your all good. Just bring the necessary patch cables. A lot of the clubs I do here in Chicago already have a house system. The only time I bring my mixer and PA system is if the club's system sucks (which, is the case more often than it should be!)

The Goner

Posté Mon 04 Nov 02 @ 6:22 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)