Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Latency VDJ Pro Controller

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

SharanPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hallo VDJ Support Team,

i'd like to know about the latency of the VDJ Pro Controller.
Anything you can say about that ?

Thinking about grabbin' a pair of these :D

Greetz

Posté Thu 22 Jan 04 @ 8:32 pm
Support told me it was USB 1.1 . They said that wasn't a problem. But every USB1.1 sound card I have used has latency problems. And they want to add a controller with a sound card to one USB port .They will have problems when it is released .Do you notice that it isn't out yet.It's already near the end of January . They are affraid it will be a flop like the Hercules controller if it doesn't work correctly . I would assume if it doesn't work they will go bust . We are pepared to send it back right away if it fails the test. So this is a warning to them. Make it work or get it back and suffer the cost of making junk.

Posté Fri 23 Jan 04 @ 1:42 am
Digitalmdj, don't be so hard on Atomix. First try to get your hands on those new controlers to test them yourself. THEN you can complain if it's not convinient because of USB1.1-latency.

besides, i got a Hercules controler with no latency problems at all. There is a small latency indeed, but it's SO tiny.. that it shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

Posté Fri 23 Jan 04 @ 7:44 am
Found some interesting stuff while searching for latency comparisons of USB 1.1 and 2.0 audio devices...

-> Gigaport-AG 1.1 USB soundcard bundled with Traktor DJ Studio 2.0. It says "guarantee minimal latency" though unfortunately there is no exact data given to that. You can read more here:
http://floridamusicco.com/traktorgiga.htm
Interesting that they also use an USB 1.1 device, think i read somewhere that the latency of 1.1 and 2.0 is not different, just that 2.0 can carry of course much more data.

-> On Alcatechs website i found some details about different drivers and influence on latency.
http://www.alcatech.com/html/soundkarten.php
(about middle of page)
Also there are latency tests of USB soundcards and BPM studio, i.e. Soundblaster Extigy USB : 23ms

Posté Fri 23 Jan 04 @ 10:18 am
That's exactly why i would like to see some ASIO support in future-releases of VDJ.
* low latency
* better audioquality
* more stable

please give us ASIO

Posté Fri 23 Jan 04 @ 1:46 pm
in addition to above post.

Kernal drivers would even have less latency, but since USB-audio devices are external i think it's not possible because usb-devices make use of usb-ports. USB-connection = extra latency since usb is another link is the chain (according to the diagram displayed at the url from alcathech).

Posté Fri 23 Jan 04 @ 2:48 pm
Well they are not going to support ASIO . That would be a increase in the cost of the software . They would have to license the tech through Stienberg. Also why are they so reluctent to upgrade to USB 2.0 or firewire . Are their so many of these chips around that every company thinks they can make a fortune at selling junk. Its like using a obsolete serial port .Then expecting performance.And then blaming it on slow computers or not enough memory. Which one will it be this time. I think it will work for someone not expecting performance or they are a moderator pretending to be a user.Its like a supervisor asking everone to take a pay cut but this doesn't include then.

Posté Fri 23 Jan 04 @ 2:56 pm
I have asked one of the support-members if there will be ASIO support in future versions before i was buying VDJ.
They told me that ASIO will be supported if i would buy VDJ and get free updates when ASIO is available.

are you saying that they would lie to customers?

Posté Fri 23 Jan 04 @ 4:45 pm
It cant be that expensive to include ASIO support ?

As far as i know latest Traktor DJ Studio which supports it costs around 200€. You dont want to tell me that the price difference of 100€ between VDJ and Traktor are licence fees??

Posté Fri 23 Jan 04 @ 5:12 pm
Traktor dj is owned by Stienberg.So you better think again.Also BPM studio is expensive and it has ASIO driver support.So I wonder what they pay per copy for ASIO support.

Posté Sat 24 Jan 04 @ 1:54 am
Would be a good idea if VDJ told us what such additional features might cost (IF they are really that expensive at all) and made a poll so we users can decide if we would pay that much more!

For me quality and performance comes first and i'm willing to spend a few extra bucks if its worth it !!

Posté Sat 24 Jan 04 @ 1:04 pm
Maybe it is an idea for the team to give a list of new features, additions and improvements they are working on. Now it is a complete guess what is the vision of the Atomix team.
As a developer myself I know that it is hard to say that this and this and that will come in the next version. But future thinkings are good to share with VDJ users, I think.

Regards Ewout

Posté Sat 24 Jan 04 @ 6:28 pm
I dont think charging for certain upgrades is all that bad . As long as its a upgrade which can be purchased as a plugin. So the cost of VDJ will stay within everones reach .BPM studio is expensive and is not even close to VDJ for what I need in a DJ program . ASIO support can be offered as a Plugin for a price which will serve the needs of the ones who really need it.This will also keep down the cost because every time you sale the plugin you pay a royalty to stienberg.So not haveing to put it in VDJ for everone just the ones who want it. Now with the controller issue.One bad product can ruin a company overnight.The Hercules controller is a bad product .It was hurried to market and never tested properly.This is not what anyone wants with VDJ pro . And I think they better make sure it works right the first time.

Posté Sat 24 Jan 04 @ 10:05 pm
mUd-VPRO InfinityMember since 2003
ASIO driver need a sound card with ASIO support.
I suppose XP10 don't support asio

but if XP10 support asio , i think VDJ is a professional software and need the ASIO Driver , for a "cheaper" soft , they are lot of other soft like : eJay DJ Mix Station 2 OR AtomixMp3

Posté Sun 25 Jan 04 @ 6:00 am
mcs-itPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I don't have a VirtualDJ Pro controller, but Dams or Yan will sure have one or two of them.

They were used in parties like the the one @ Queen or the Tecno Parade in Paris.
So I think that they are "well tested" and we don't have to expect latency problems and so on...

Posté Sun 25 Jan 04 @ 11:18 am

Posté Sun 25 Jan 04 @ 4:25 pm
by the way... i meant british of course ;-)

Posté Sun 25 Jan 04 @ 4:43 pm
http://eks.fi/

Another website featuring the "Pro Controller". Also AtomixMP3 is mentioned there to "present a dedicated Virtual DJ Player in fall 2003."

Check out the demo video of the Controller :)

Posté Sun 25 Jan 04 @ 5:23 pm
You are looking at the XP-10 not VDJ PRO .But I can see no difference in either controller.We are going to need answers here. And which controllers were at those parties.We will never know . And to believe they had no problems is just smoke and mirriors.Stanton did the same thing with final scatch . They had to change the software and improve the controller.Still they have problems.

Posté Sun 25 Jan 04 @ 5:46 pm
hehe i watched the video-clip.
it's a nice way to promote a new piece of hardware.
everything i saw was UPSIDE/DOWN haha.

anyways, i want to order 2 of them, wether they're good or not. so i can test them my self en post the results here.

Posté Sun 25 Jan 04 @ 10:17 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)