Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Need desperate help from the computer Video Gods.........

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Alright guys, I went all out and built the ultimate video rackmount computer, the HAL 9000 (remember 2001 space odessey?)
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 1 GB FSB Socket 939 Processor
Asus premium ATX AMD motherboard with 2 GB ram
eVGA nVidea 6800 GT Video card with 512 mb memory.
Jason (Cyder) even liked the specs, but he's AWOL right now.(I know, he's moving)
Here's my problem, the damn thing runs video like crap! If I use Hardware Acceleration, the video & sound freezes for a few seconds or totally locks up the program to the point of rebooting the whole system, or if I stop the playback it also freezes.
If I don't use Hardware Acceleration the video is slightly choppy and most of all I can't use any video effects.
All the tweaks have been done, now I'm totally at a loss. I need this system working right tonight!
So if any of you guru's have an answer for me, please tell me....(I'll even give you my Ex-wife)

Henry

Posté Wed 23 Nov 05 @ 8:12 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
What does she look like?
How many miles she got on her?
Hair color? Matching carpet?

just kidding... sorry for the tasteless comments, now down to business.

With those specs, you certainly shouldn't be having problems.

Is your CPU maxing out when you run video?
How about when you play just regular music files with or without VDJ ambients activated?
Are you running on a separate display?
Do you wait for the cideo to be completely loaded before playing it?
How are your videos encoded? MPEG1, MPEG2/VOB, Divx, etc.
What decoder are you using? VDJ "Video Decoder" or Windows?
Where are you getting the video files from? (ie hard drive, USB drive, network, etc.)
Can you play the files OK outside of VDJ? (ie Windows Media Player)

You apparently built this system yourself. While doing so, did you change any BIOS settings? Are you using a failsafe or performance preset maybe?
Did you try to tune your video driver? There have been issues when tuned for performance on some drivers.

I hope some of these questions lead you to a solution, but if not, then answer back and I will try to help further.

Posté Wed 23 Nov 05 @ 9:25 pm
When I run it without hardware acceleration my CPU runs between 95 & 100% usually 100%. With Acceleration on it runs around 5%.
Music files play fine.
I'm extending out to a 2nd display.
It doesn't matter if the video is fully loaded or not, same thing.
Right now the videos are in Mpeg 1 format, I also tried a few VOB's and the same thing happens.
I have all the files on one of the internals.
As far as the bios go, my friend set the computer up normally.
I'm not sure what you mean about the video driver?
Any help is greatly apprieciated, Thank you,
Henry

Posté Wed 23 Nov 05 @ 9:51 pm
Sounds about like my experience when using my current laptop, no hardware acceleration. I can't wait to get my new laptop!

Posté Wed 23 Nov 05 @ 10:06 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
It does appear that the problem is with your video card, its driver or how the driver is setup.
I say this because with hardware acceleration enabled, you are seeing very little CPU usage, yet the program is crashing.
See if there is an Nvidia icon in the lower right corner of your screen and if so, double click it. A utility should popup with various settings for your video card/driver. One of the tabs may contain a slider that allows you to alter the balance between performance and quality. It seems intuitive that moving this closer to 'performance' should help your performance, but this has actually been seen to cause problems with some video cards. Apparently this may cause the simulation of certain DirectX functions in order to same time, and this causes VDJ to choke. This is confirmed on the ATI X600 PCI-X video card at least and I am guessing that this probably applies to others, possibly yours too.

You may also want to verify that you have DirectX 9.0c installed and working properly. To do this, go to start>run and type 'dxdiag.' The main screen will show info including the DirectX version, and then go to the Display tab to ensure that the various Direct X functions are enabled and you can run video tests from there as well. The tests are self-explanatory (after they run) and you should know whether or not you are having DirectX issues from these.
If you determine that you need to install (or want to re-install) DirectX9.0c, you can get it from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads

Good Luck, and let me know how it goes.

Posté Wed 23 Nov 05 @ 10:13 pm
(Starting to panic, see the sweat running down my face?)
I had DirectX9.0c already on it, so I reloaded it and still the same thing.
I also went into the nVidia icon and couldn't find anything to change performance.
Any other suggestions??

Posté Wed 23 Nov 05 @ 11:52 pm
Maybe there are newer drivers for your video card? Check your Bios maybe some acceleration or plug and play are not setup correctly for video.
Are you running Virus scanners, firewalls or other software?
Ewout

Posté Thu 24 Nov 05 @ 12:33 am
I going going through the same with now and might have mine going. i am still testing. i had an ati video card on my system before. I was getting all sorts of issues with my 6600gt i just installed. blinking freezing. i had an ati program still on there. i found an uninstall utility and ran it. so far 15 minutes no freeze or blinks but i know i am jinxing myself.

*** First make sure you have reactivity in VDJ set to high ** Just a thought...if you do then skip to trying a new driver...

delete your nvidia driver.

There is a brand new nvidia driver out there to install.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.95.html

Make sure your card is supported please... then download it (unless you already have this driver 81.95)

next turn off your antivirus if you have one.

Control panel- add/remove programs/ look for nvidia display drivers uninstall. click it. This will uninstall the nvidia drivers.

Restart your system.

Turn off your antivirus .

Then Run the install you downloaded and see if it made a difference.

If it works do you have a picture of yor x? Just kidding... I already have a wife.... ;)

Posté Thu 24 Nov 05 @ 2:15 am
Got it working just in time (I hope). I'll let all of you know how it went after tonight's gig.
Henry

Posté Thu 24 Nov 05 @ 2:37 am
Mine seems to be working also. 47 minutes. No freezes or blinks. I don't even hear a skip. But I'm not listening through the phones... Maybe it's a lucky night?

Posté Thu 24 Nov 05 @ 2:42 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Glad you got er done :)

Posté Thu 24 Nov 05 @ 5:08 am
Hi Cyder. You moved in yet?

Posté Thu 24 Nov 05 @ 5:27 am
yep, and help SC with his video problem hopefully :)

Posté Thu 24 Nov 05 @ 6:06 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Wondering... How was his problem solve?

Posté Thu 24 Nov 05 @ 10:27 pm
Acw,

Last I talked with him it was a driver issue, updating the drives had fixed it. I hope his show went well.

Thanks Cyder. ACW

Posté Fri 25 Nov 05 @ 3:08 am
Update:
The HAL 9000 worked flawlessly Wednesday night after doing my 4 hour video show. This baby is awesome, although I wish it weighed a few pounds less (weighing in at a whopping 90 lbs).
Many Thank-you's go out to FRD1963 (Branden) and Jason.
After 2 days of changing BIOS settings and re-tweaking the tweaks, it all came down to a driver update that took a whole 2 minutes to fix.
After building the system, I downloaded the update driver from the video card's manufacturer eVGA, and thought I was all set, (I wasn't). Jason suggested something that never even occurred to me, he told me to go to nVidia's site directly and get the update driver from there, (How was I to know nVidia's driver was more current than eVGA's), well, that did the trick, 2 days going nuts over a 2 minute issue.
During the 4 hours of heavy video mixing Hal didn't even cough once. The CPU was running at 15% with the Hardware Acceleration set and best of all, I was able to use all the transition effects without any problems whatsoever.
A special thanks goes out to VDJ's DEV team for one hell of a program, this is absolutely the best DJ program that I have ever used, and I've tried alot of them.(If you need a beta tester, I'd be happy to be one).
Again thanks to Brendan & Jason for all their help, I owe you guys one.
Henry

Posté Fri 25 Nov 05 @ 10:26 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)