Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Planning an upgrade from DJConsole...

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

frodehPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Hello people!

First, let me just apologize if this post is too long! I've put a lot of thought into this, and have tried to prepare this post thoroughly.

Second, I would just like to say that I've been using VDJ along with theHercules DJConsole for some time now and I totally LOVE it. I've had a lot of help from the forums, and I must say this is one of the few communities where people are as devoted to their passion as you guys. =) I haven't posted on the forums before, so bare with me here.

Now, to my specific case. As mentioned, I've never posted before, but I've read a lot on the forums and have picked up information about different setups from different people.

I'm planning on upgrading my system (I'm currently using VDJ with my laptop and Hercules DJConsole, the one with builtin USB soundcard) but I need a little help. The reason for my upgrade is that I'd like to be able to get the feel for some vinyls or cds, and I'd also like to try dj'ing without vdj for some practice. Therefore my setup must work without the computer and VDJ attatched. The reason I'm mentioning this is because I'm not sure what I have to take into account when looking for a mixer.

I do all my dj'ing for fun, and I don't have any high ambitions, but I do know there is a club I could have a go at if I get really good.

This is the equipment I was thinking of getting, but I'd like some point of views on it from you guys.

1. A mixer - I was thinking along the lines of the Numark DXM-01 USB
2. 2x turntables OR 2x cd-decks - Numark TT-200 or CDJ-100S (maybe CDJ-200)
3. Timecoded vinyls or timecoded cds
4. A soundcard or some devide that lets me use this with VDJ

I'm a bit confused as to how the mixer will work against VDJ, and since this is an USB mixer I'm guessing there will be no problems. (I'm sure there is a guide somewhere on the forums, I just haven't found it yet). I've seen people using ordinary mixers in their setup to control VDJ, without any USB, and I don't understand how this works? Please enlighten me if you can. For instance in setups where you can mix both with VDJ and with vinyls/cds with the same mixer. (I read something about bypass, but still don't know how this would be setup in real life).

As mentioned I already have the DJConsole, and don't get me wrong, I love it. It's just that it's a bit small, and I'd like to get the feel for vinyls or cds. Can the DJConsole be used in my new setup? I've seen people mention the Maya44 which seems to be out of production, and also the U46DJ, but how do these fit into the whole thing? Is this used to connect the mixer, or what?

I won't ask you to get into the CD vs. Vinyl discussion here since this of course based on each individuals taste. Even so, I have to mention that I live in a "little" town in Norway and I don't know if there is such a big marked here for vinyls. I guess I'd have to order all of my music if I go for that. Therefore, to be honest, I'm kinda leaning on the cd-decks. Maybe someone else from Norway know a thing or two about this.

That's about it. I thank all of the people who took the time to read all of this, and I really appreciate ANY feedback you might have, be it mixers turntables or decks.

Cheerio for now.
Frode Henriksen

Posté Thu 19 Jan 06 @ 1:20 am
There is a very smart DJ in Norway in this forum, and I am sure he will be able to help you out. As far as a mixer is concerned, this is how it works. You computer wil be hooked up to a soundcard, internal or external. The soundcard has at least 2 stereo outputs, which will go to the mixer with RCA cables. This goes to either a line or cd input. The same cables as you would use to connect a CD player. So that takes care of player 1 and player 2 of the software. Now you will hook your TTs or CD players up, the same way you did before.

Posté Thu 19 Jan 06 @ 4:04 am
I see, but if I want to control VDJ with the mixer I would need one with a MIDI controller, am I correct?

Posté Thu 19 Jan 06 @ 1:25 pm
@A Man and His Music : hehe... thanx for that comment ;)

@frode :
(norsk? hehe...artig)

- If you want the external mixer to control VDJ you need a mixer with midi capabilities. Such as the Nuo4 that has midi capabilities for the sliders/knobs.

BUT, when using external mixer (like I do at club), there is really no need for the external mixer to control VDJ, as you are doing everything in hardware on the mixer. There really is no need for the EQ knob to move in skin, when moving the knob at the external mixer. But, it can look fancy for sure ;) And the Nuo4 is the one, if you want that....

I'm not sure what console you have, but if you have the MK2 model, it has two x line-in, and is ready to go for timecode use ;) If you have the older first version of the console, you might want to buy at soundcard that does have 2x line-in, and ASIO drivers.

If you are going to scratch, you need turntables, or CD-players can can scratch (Cdj800 or 1000 for example). The CDJ100s will not scratch, but will work for nudge, play, cue and the lot ;) Please take not that any effects (such that are on the cdj100s), will not work when using timecode cds. All effects has to be done in software, or on the external mixer.

If you dont have the MK2 model of Hercules console, look into getting the U46dj soundcard.

Hope that helps ;)

And feel free to ask more, if you need ....

Posté Thu 19 Jan 06 @ 3:07 pm
You can also control VDJ with controllers like DACs and XP10s... But you will need a mixer in conjunction with any of these.
regards
adi

ps: DJ-in-Norway is smart i agree!

Posté Thu 19 Jan 06 @ 3:23 pm
Thanks a million for the replies. This cleared up a few things! :D

It seems there is no use for the mixer to control VDJ, so I'll just go for an ordinary one without the midi compatibility. I guess Numark DXM-06 would do the job, as this one also have some built-in effects.

I have the old DJConsole (and as far as I can see only 1 stero line-in, one left and one right channel) so I'd have to purchase a new soundcard as well. @dj-in-norway, know anyone that sell U46dj in Norway?

As for scratching I don't really need this. I play mostly house/trance/techno and the occational drum'n'bass, so I only need the posibility to nudge and cue up songs. I guess the CDJ-100s or CDJ-200 can do the trick.

I'm open for any other suggestions too when it comes to mixer and decks, as long as I'm not flat broke when done with this upgrade =)

Posté Thu 19 Jan 06 @ 4:52 pm
Ok, For a soundcard, since you are going for tccd, choose maya44usb, and you should be fine.
Keep chillin'
adi

Posté Thu 19 Jan 06 @ 8:07 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)