Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Recording tips & pointers 4 a newbie?

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

heya boys and girls,

God, i love thos program. A friend pointed it out to me and i've been going hog-wild with it since.

I'm ready to record my first mix over the weekend; 13 tracks have been carefully selected, cuepoints have been set, tracklist is sorted, all I need to do is now record the bugger!

As it'll be my first recording i'm dead scared im gonna mess up at that 12th cross-fade. Does any of you pro's and long-time users have any tips as to what to do and what NOT to do when recording?? (I figured I should turn off my mobile to not get distracted, as a start!)

Tips, tricks and pointers VERY welcome!

- Bram

Posté Thu 19 Jan 06 @ 5:17 pm
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I'll start with the first few tips:

- RELAX yourself while recording and don't be TOO CAREFUL while mixing, because when you're nervous and looking for perfection, that's when you'll mess up :)

- loop the track with a simple 4/4 loop before releasing it in the mix, and correct the phase while you're waiting for your mix cue. It's more reliable than starting a song on the right moment, because you need to adjust the phase when the song is already playing on master. (This is of course a tip if you're still unexpirienced and don't use instant beatmatch but rather classic approach)

- don't play too much with scratching and effects, because when you're nervous you'll probably blew it :)) keep it simple for start ;)

You can also browse this forum http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/15/Mix_lessons.html where you'll find some tips and experiences shared by other Djs.

Posté Thu 19 Jan 06 @ 5:35 pm
djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I've been doing this for a lot of years and I still mess up when i'm recording.
What I do when I make a CD for production and sale is record to re-recordable cd.
I make my 1st recording, then play it back for errors. When I find an error, I write down what song I messed up on or remeber where I messed up, Put the Master cd (the one with the error) in one cd player, put a blank in the recorder, play the origonal thru a line of my mixer and when I get to my error, I just do that part again live, then go back to the master cd.

It's like using a track recorder without having a track recorder.

All you have to do is make sure your levels and timing is accurate.

But to avoid doing all this, just calm down and do what you do.

Sometimes it helps if you have someone else hit record for you when you don't know it. I used to do that at shows. I would get red hot, I mean like no matter what, everything I did was perfect. I would be on fire, hit record and because I knew I was recording, the pressure would be on me to remain perfect... so naturally I would begin to mess up.

I had my friend start hit record for me when I got hot, I had no idea I was being recorded so I was able to keep my focous on my mixes and remained ON FIRE... Great cd's

Hope this helps

Posté Thu 19 Jan 06 @ 5:55 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)