Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet How to Mix a Good show with Hip hop, R&B, house, and Techno/trance

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
My advice is this....

YOU ARE THE DJ !!!!

It is a DJ's job to balance the music and control your crowd. I know this can be hard to do when you have a smaller crowd with split tastes in music.

I have had jobs where I played for thousands of people and the musical tastes of the crowd were still split. What did I do you might ask???

I Played MY SHOW !!!

No matter if you have 20 people, 200 people or 2000 or more, PLAY YOUR SHOW !

As a DJ, you have to be able to take the crowd where you want them to go and get them there when you want them to be there.

Start with good warm up music, not music to set the party off but music to socialize to, head bobbing and foot tapping music. Pay attention to the people at your event. Especially in the begining. You will know you are on the right path if you see people NOT paying attention to the music but tapping their feet anyway. From there, if people are drinking...LET THEM DRINK !!! Alcohol is always a good party starter.
By this time you should see more foot tapping and more head bobbing and maybe a little table dancing (People dancing at their table NOT on the dancefloor).

When you have this... The party is in YOUR CONTROL.
DO NOT GIVE UP YOUR CONTROL OF YOUR SHOW

For a split crowd of Urban (Hip Hop/R&B) and House, Techno/Trance, I would start with the Urban. Play the HITS, PLAY THE HITS, PLAY THE HITS. Don't be afraid to speed up the tempo a little on these songs as you will want the music to speed up as the night wears on.

Go from Urban to Maybe House music. That is a good bridge to get from where you are to where you want to go.

From House, take it to Techno and there ya go.........

You won't please the whole crowd all the time so don't try. all that will do is get you off YOUR game. Remeber the old saying "You can't please all the people all the time"

Remeber that YOU are the DJ and YOU control the show, the music, the pace of the party, and the crowd.

Take a look at the framework of a party with Urban (Hip Hop / R&B), House, and Techno

Urban (Hip Hop/R&B) - 90bpm - 110bpm
House - 115bpm - 145bpm
Techno/trance - 140bpm - ??? (Don't know how fast Techno can get)

You can also play Dirty South music with house or techno because Dirty South music is generally slow 68 - 75bpm. This mixes with fast music 150bpm and above. if you have Dirty South accapellas and house techno instrumentals...........Have a blast and play them together.

Hope this helps..

Good luck with your shows.

DJ CITY

Posté Thu 19 Jan 06 @ 6:27 pm
Please feel free to comment or to add on to this thread.

If this is helpful to you..................Let me know
If this does not help you...............Let me know
If you feel this is inacurrate...........Let me know

This is also posted in my blog under tutorials.

As DJ's, We strive for the best mix, The best blend of music, The best cuts, The best sound, and the best we can do.

DJ CITY

Posté Thu 19 Jan 06 @ 8:17 pm
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Looks like someone is trying to make VIP status :P

Posté Thu 19 Jan 06 @ 11:43 pm
Naw...Not trying to be anything but helpful.

An earlier post let me know that this informationmight be useful.

Posté Fri 20 Jan 06 @ 12:09 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)