Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Laptop Vs Cd Players Sound Quality

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hi
My system I am using is a laptop, external sound card Maya 44, external mixer with 2 cd players.
Problem is every time i switch over to Vdj from my cd players the level of sound just drops way down, so to compensate I have to crank the mixer way up ,as to level up with the cd players.
Any answer to this problem would be appreciated

Thanks Graham[musicmatch]

Posté Sun 22 Jan 06 @ 8:44 pm
Try setting auto gain to "always zero" in settings inside Virtual DJ.

That is about the same level as most cd players (a bit lower, but not all that much)

Posté Mon 23 Jan 06 @ 2:01 am
Also, make sure the volune levels for each output in the Maya 44 control panel are turned up to maximum (By default, they are not when it's first installed.)

Posté Mon 23 Jan 06 @ 10:48 am
Hi
Thanks for getting back to me ,My setting are as you have mentioned already,and on the maya sound card also set to max.

Cheers graham [musicmatch]

Posté Mon 23 Jan 06 @ 2:35 pm
what setting are you ripping your mp3's at? A higher rate might help resolve the issue.

Posté Tue 24 Jan 06 @ 3:31 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
no it wont. why would you think that a different bit rate (im assuming you mean bit rate) would increase the signal level? if everything is set to maximum both in VDJ and device settings then that is as loud as your device will output without clipping (passing 0Db) technicly devices will have some headroom for this but it shouldnt be used, compensate at the mixer for the best sound as driving the ADCs of your MAYA past their specification will probably result in degraded sound. ether that or get an interface with a higher signal output.

Posté Tue 24 Jan 06 @ 4:45 am
The Maya has a much lower output than a standard CD player would have. But I read the post as he had degraded sound *quality* not just less signal.

Posté Tue 24 Jan 06 @ 6:26 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
I read 'quality' also. And ripping at a higher bit rate will definitely improve quality. To see if bit rate is responsible for the difference you hear, try ripping directly to WAV (16 bit, 44.1Khz). This will leave the audio exactly the same quality as on the CD. VDJ can play this back and it should sound just like the CD. Any differences would have to be attributable to the Maya, or VDJ's sound engine.

However, if you are in fact talking about sound level (gain) then hopefully your mixer has trims on the iputs. This is where these kinds of gain differences should be compensated for, so that the channel faders all give the same range. If not, then you will have to depend on the channel faders to make up for any differences and keep in mind which channels are what ranges; maybe put labels on you mixer to indicate the optimum level for each channels' fader.

Posté Tue 24 Jan 06 @ 4:38 pm
Use MP3gain to maximize the level of your MP3s.. totally non-destructive and excellent little program which should be on the HD of anyone using MP3s IMO..

Posté Tue 24 Jan 06 @ 5:27 pm
Hi
Thanks for the updates i have since installed Mp3 gain ,seems to work like a charm only problem you need to analyse all your songs again in Vdj as all the bpm seems to dissapear,is there another way round this .. At least all the levels are better

Thanks graham[musicmatch]

Posté Wed 25 Jan 06 @ 10:07 am
DJROSSSHome userMember since 2006
Use MP3gain to maximize the level of your MP3s.. totally non-destructive and excellent little program which should be on the HD of anyone using MP3s IMO..

Posté Fri 24 Feb 06 @ 11:56 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)