Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet What is FLAC

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

I've just discovered FLAC. I've done some reading and I understand what it conceptually is supposed to be. I'd like to know how it can be applied to digital DJ's today.

Can VDJ play it?

Posté Thu 02 Feb 06 @ 10:10 pm
FLAC is a lossless audio codec. I believe VDJ will play anything that WMP has a codec for.

Posté Thu 02 Feb 06 @ 10:36 pm

Posté Fri 03 Feb 06 @ 2:06 am
i dont believe WMP supports FLAC, so I had to download winamp. Does VDJ support FLAC?

Posté Fri 03 Feb 06 @ 2:48 am
No, it doesn't

Posté Fri 03 Feb 06 @ 4:22 am
No, it doesn't

Posté Fri 03 Feb 06 @ 4:22 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003

Posté Fri 03 Feb 06 @ 7:11 am
Oops, really sorry for my wrong answer.

Posté Fri 03 Feb 06 @ 3:22 pm
"can read itunes, atrac (sony) and flac files if proper WMP codecs are installed"

Bill you are right (at least in terms of out of the box functionality). The support is only IF the proper WMP codecs are installed, and WMP does not natively support FLAC. There's no user guide for VDJ which tells you how to install new codecs either. Even if you install the FLAC compressor/decompressor WMP will still not play it, the average computer user will not have an idea how to do this especially with no manual. E 149 for VDJ, 4million users = E 596,000,000 surely that's enough to produce a user guide!

The CoreFLAC directshow filter will allow FLAC decoding in WMP:
http://corecodec.org/projects/coreflac

Posté Fri 03 Feb 06 @ 6:53 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
where is the 4 million figure coming from, is this total users including demos and cracked versions?

Posté Sat 04 Feb 06 @ 2:24 am
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
is this the appropriate post to talk about this Dj Xeo?

where did you find that figure anyway?

Posté Sat 04 Feb 06 @ 2:33 am
4million comes from VDJ's homepage, to be precise: http://www.virtualdj.com

"Do not hesitate any more, there's a reason why VirtualDJ has been adopted by more than 4.000.000 users in the world, making it the most used DJ software on the market."

Perhaps Atomix's customers total 4million (including Atomix MP3) although that's clearly not what the 'advert' above implies.

Posté Sat 04 Feb 06 @ 6:27 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Of the 4 million users most of them are non legite.

Posté Sat 04 Feb 06 @ 2:58 pm
VDJ does support FLAC a Lossless format

What is the difference between Lossy and Lossless compression?

Audio Compression can be one of two categories, lossless or lossy. Lossless compression algorithms return audio data that is identical to the original audio information. Lossless (MP3) compression sounds wonderful, however it does not yield an extremely high compression ratio. Typically, lossless routines give a ratio no higher than 2:1 for realtime playback for audio with a full dynamic range.

The above image shows a soundtrack encoded in two formats: Windows Media 9 Lossless and MP3 at 128 kilobits per second. The original track was 10.3 MB, which was cut down to 6 MB with the lossless codec -notice not even a 2:1 reduction, but still a decent HD savings. Depending if a track is not quite so musically complex it could be compressed further. The 128 kbit MP3 cut the file down to 983 kilobytes, and 11:1 compression ratio. When viewed by a spectrum analysis you will see the above results. Note how lossless compression produces the exact same graph, while the MP3 file loses signal dramatically as frequency increases and drops off entirely just over 16 KHz. Increasing the bit rate can improve this, but the only way to get a totally exact copy of the music is to use a lossless compression scheme.

Lossy Audio Compression can yield a variety of different rates of compression based on the ability of your hardware and software to decode and playback the music audio data in real-time. There are various compression schemes to achieve different results; for example, many codecs remove portions of the audio signal that human hearing is less sensitive to. To some peoples ears the resulting audio has distinguishing artifacts or characteristics that change the listening experience. The final "quality" level is largely a matter of personal perception but you will lose harmonics of the track.
NOTE: with the affordability of hard drives the trend is towards using Lossless for Computer DJing. Check out FLAC - A FREE LOSSLESS CODEC

http://www.computerdjsummit.com/mixoff/

Posté Sun 05 Feb 06 @ 4:00 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Yet on the other hand, the results of the "blind test" between an original WAV/CD verses a 320kbps mp3 with the LAME encoder (or Fraunhofer) were not conclusive, rather the sound engineers, musicians, DJ's that toke part in the "blind test" all had a different choice on the different songs played back - some of tests indicated the CD to have better sound quality by a margaine of "votes" whilst the same test undertaken by different people indicated the mp3 had the better sound quality.

Comparing a 128kbps mp3 verse a lossless compression like FLAC is undoubtedly an unfair test, you DON'T require a graph to indicate the difference because the human ear can easily detect the difference (that a 128kbps is far from the CD/Flac), increase bite rates and use the few good encoders and then bring on the blind tests, even the graphs indicate the human ear has a cut off point somewhere below the max (320kbps), the encoder just needs to be very good.

Posté Sun 05 Feb 06 @ 4:32 pm
Has anyone actually managed to get VDJ playing FLAC files yet? It's a deal-breaker for me if it won't.

I followed that 'coreflac' link (a few posts ago) and after installing it, tried to play FLAC files via Windows Media Player, but it didn't want to play them.

Posté Thu 27 Apr 06 @ 6:53 pm

Posté Thu 27 Apr 06 @ 7:00 pm
I've been using FLAC for several years - Lossless of Lossy is the way to go...

I'm interested in hearing what your opinion is after you have in working...

Posté Sat 29 Apr 06 @ 8:29 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)