Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet I Want To Be A DJ - How Do I Get Started?????

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

dj cmacHome userMember since 2006
I would like to be a dj, simple as that. I had planned to buy proper decks last year on my year out and learn but never got round to it. Then i was given a copy of virtual dj. I have been using it for a while and like to think im reasonably good at it. I have recently purchased the dj control mp3 to try and get used to using something to mix tracks and change sounds. I know that it is all very easy to do on computer but believe you need to have a musical ear to get some things right. I want to know if virtual dj is the way forward for me. I like to mix tracks together and sometimes slightly remix original tracks and remix's of the original together if you understand me. I would love to take this up professionally. But i have no idea what i would have to do to start. All i can do is say im good at using virtual dj.

So any help/advice would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance and sorry about the life story lol

Posté Mon 06 Feb 06 @ 10:26 pm

Posté Mon 06 Feb 06 @ 11:18 pm
weel,first of all,you need to have the "gift" of mixing and good ears(if you know what i mean),i think that Virtual Dj is the best way to mix digitally,but needs a lot of improvements,i use it to play at clubs,and it's been good,but the program needs to be improved for a long live use,but it's expected to atomix do that and reach to perfection,i hope so.if you don't have mixtable,buy one cheap,then,record your mixes through the mixtabe,hear them,and if you find errors(beat slips,etc)try to correct them at the next mix,and so on,i also advise you to configure your keyboard for a perfect control of the program and use "mixstation" skins,they are very simple and complete,for me,they are the best=)
Other thing you can do(if you have possibility) is buy 2 turntables and the time-coded vinils,that is the best,because you can choose to play mp3 or your records or even CD.........

Posté Mon 06 Feb 06 @ 11:35 pm
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Buying vdj is a great start to becoming a pro dj. Next thing is to build a large collection of music to cater to different peoples tastes group of people. Make sure you have a decent laptop/pc with a quality sound card. From there you could probably advertise yourself as a dj and just rent the PA equipment. But just remember practice makes perfect!

Posté Tue 07 Feb 06 @ 2:08 am
Well, i'll give in my ten cents worth...
To be a DJ, all you need to do is understand the spirit of the moment. If you understand what im saying.....You can even play from an iPod and still rock a party!! cos for the crowd, the MUSIC is what matters most...remember that, you ca buy the most advanced and most expensive equipment and still suck at it cos you dont have a taste to what the crowd like to hear.
Just concentrate on getting great quality music, good club mixes, etc. For being a pro, you need to be good at giving the right kind of music to the crowd, you dont need any turntables just to be a pro! Virtual DJ is by far the most awesome equipment i know for this purpose, Mainly because, it has ease of use and will let you do YOUR thing the way you want it!
So, to begin as a DJ, just get a pro version of VDJ, and then on build up your music collection. Stop using downloaded music cos they are of very low bitrate (128bits usually) and instead burn your music from cds at 320kbits... this gives you cd quality music which is the best for DJing, After that, you can further take more control by purchasin an external mixer (buy a good quality mixer but dont go for an expensive one in the beggining).
So now you have more control over the mix, here on, you can get better at it and then you can invest in better equipment like the XP10s or a DAC-3 controller...
But remember this is just to give you more control over the mix... But the crowd dont give a sh*t about whether you use Turntables or CDPlayers or ipods or even Winamp...All that matters to them is the Music..
So, just do what you enjoy and let others enjoy too! And dont let other dJS discourage you cos you are using VirtualDJ... its just a matter of time when they realise that technology is moving at a faster pace than them...
Regards,
DJ Aditya

Posté Tue 07 Feb 06 @ 4:38 pm

Posté Tue 07 Feb 06 @ 10:51 pm
dj cmacHome userMember since 2006
Thanks to everyone hu gave me advice here i really appreciate it

Posté Wed 08 Feb 06 @ 12:43 am
Hope you find the right answer...

Have fun!

Posté Wed 08 Feb 06 @ 12:46 am
Almost anyone can be taught to mix two songs together, it has been proven on the TV show "Faking it". What seperates the good from the bad is the ability to select the right music for the crowd and the only way to obtain this experience is by listen to other successful DJs in a variety of different venues. If you want to specialize in a specific genre of music then seek out the DJs that work that venue, sit down and take notes. Personally, I spent two years in an apprenticeship. My music knowledge base is very vast, ranging from the 1920s to current and spanning numerous music genres.Just decide what you want to persue and do your homework.

Posté Wed 08 Feb 06 @ 3:44 am
Another very good peice of advice ive been given is to not limit yourself!! If you can only play trance or house, theres a hundred others like you. Its when you have a vast knowledge of lots of genres that you can become a very efficient Dj. You will get more work.
Know the crowd and know the music.
Hope all goes well.

Sean

Posté Thu 09 Feb 06 @ 3:28 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)