Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Just Switched from Traktor ....

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hello,
I am new to virtual dj but I heard a lot about it. I have been using traktor since 2002 but decided to switch due to the lack of support, buggy software(3.0) and lack of remote control.

I would like some help in setting up my music collection from traktor (extended tags in traktor vs vdj). I have organized my tracks in traktors collection by genre, album release etc. How can I convert this in vdj?

Also I would like some geniune feedback on the stability of vdj when playing live.

Thanks in advance.

Also is there anyone here playing in Jamaica or who plays reggae/dancehall?

Posté Thu 23 Feb 06 @ 4:21 am
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Welcome to VDJ carryshel! :o)

Your music folder will be available in your folder window on vdj. I use the default skin and can see my entire collection on the left hand side of my screen. Very easy to navigate and all that. All you have to do is set your music directory to your Root Folder, and then it'll be there all the time. As for the tags in VDJ, i'm sure you've noticed by now that there isn't alot of tags here, but I know that this has been talked about and more tags may well be incorporated into future releases. Watch this space!!!

And, genuinely, providing you have a good enough system, you should have no problems with VDJ live. Of course there are always worries about freezes and crashes, but these tend to be caused by hardware problems. Always take a backup device with you and you can work round them easily.

I have had about 3 crashes overall whilst using VDJ. Thats about 3 times in about one hundred odd gigs (only been using it for a year), so it's not bad at all. Even when I'm practicing I have no problems, and I practice alot more than i gig!!! Any problems I've had have been because of my hardware or because i did something really crazy in the program (like pressed every button possible 'just to see what would happen' - you know, daft stuff like that)

The best thing to do is to really get to know the program before going live, then you'll be aware of any potential problems. Check out this page for spec requirements: http://www.virtualdj.com/products/virtualdj/description.html

Check out the forums in general for hints, tips and advice on how to utilise the program effectively to get it's full potential. And you'll see that it's even more than it's cracked up to be. I love this program. In fact, i think it's the best thing since sliced bread!!! Ever since I found the demo version I've been hooked. The possibilities are endless.

Cheers...and keep spinnin'...:o)

P

Posté Thu 23 Feb 06 @ 4:41 am
Honestly, this USED to crash a lot even in infrequent use (I've used this before the name was Atomix and the subsequent VDJ again) - but that was long ago.

Currently you can be confident in the stability atleast if you don't use the latest whizbang introduced. So if the current ver is 3.3, use 3.3 but avoid new features introduced in 3.3. Also if you download some new plugins that have not been around for a while then you are voluntarily testing them.

There are testers who test the release before they are publicly available to customers however in software development you'll never ship/release anything if you aim to fix every bug there is since often fixing bugs also introduces new subtle bugs.

Posté Thu 23 Feb 06 @ 5:27 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Welcome carryshe.
You made the right choice.
Thinks are just simpler and easier in Virualdj compared to other dj softwares.
If you have a lot of informations in Traktor's daatabase, try to use these informations to re-organize your physical music folders. If traktor doesnt help you for this you can export let's say some playlists based on your criteria and then use virtual dj or other software to move the files in the right folders.
Then you have just to set some favorite folders and finally scan and analyze your files and you'll be ready to go. If your folders are ok, then the others are nothing....

- Don't worry about stability.
I use this program 6 nights a week and i fully trust it.

If you have any questions let me know.

Posté Thu 23 Feb 06 @ 6:36 am
Hi guys,
Thanks for your responses. I am pleased with what I see so far except that I think the sound quality coming from traktor is far superior. Also, after writing tags in traktor and exporting lists to folders, Vdj is not reading all the tags properly. I have checked in windows explorer (the music folder I created) and I see the tags as I have written them in traktor, however, when I check the same songs in Virtual dj, the tags are differerent (as not written).

Read Id3 tags are on title + comment in setup.

Any thoughts?

Posté Fri 24 Feb 06 @ 4:27 pm
I think I have found a solution to my id3 tag problem. The problem was that the tags that I had in traktor were not written to the files but stored in one of traktors internal files, so I had to write the tags to the files from traktor and then delete the database.xml file in vdj folder. After that the tags were being read correctly.

Posté Fri 24 Feb 06 @ 11:11 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
great i'm glad you were able to solve the problem and welcome.

Posté Fri 24 Feb 06 @ 11:32 pm
Thanks

Posté Fri 24 Feb 06 @ 11:43 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Every program does things differently, its in their interests to not make it easy for people to change over. roll on ID3 v2.4. should make saving info to the actual files more uniform and simplistic.

Posté Sat 25 Feb 06 @ 2:07 am
You can get the best sound quality out of VDJ by doing the following in the config options:

FAME Settings -> Auto Gain = Always 0dB
FAME Settings -> Limiter = Off
FAME Settings -> Time Stretch = Off

The sound engine in VDJ is currently being worked on by the dev team and a much improved time stretch (Master tempo) should be available soon.

Posté Sat 25 Feb 06 @ 9:06 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)