Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Mackie SRM450s versus JBL Eon 15 GII

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hi

Thanks to those guys who advised me in another thread about speakers.

I'm just trying to decide between Mackie SRM 450s at around £1000 and JBL Eon 15 GII at around £800. The JBL has a 15" cone which leads me to believe that they might be OK, plus I've heard stories of the Mackies overheating.

I know I will probably need a sub, but that can wait a couple of weeks.

Has anybody got any advice before I order?? Unfortunately, there is nowhere I can get to to listen to both sets.

Asymptote

Posté Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 11:42 am
Mackie will give you a much clearer sound then the JBL. 15" will give you extra kick however which will be needed for those small 50-150 peep parties. 12" isn't good enough for DJs unless you plan on always carrying a sub around with you. For the Mackies overheating, I've never encountered this although I have had many bad experiences with JBL (overheating, bad transistors, easilly blown horns (yeah not sure how you can blow the horn on a self powered speaker))

Although I'll be very truthful I've heard the Mackie SRM450 at a store and there's missing some kick from them although the sound was VERY clear and crisp. If your thinking of going with Mackie for some mobile gigs I'd recommend getting 2 SR1521z speakers to get the extra punch. Otherwise you can get the 2 SRM450 and rent/buy subs to accompany them (use the SRM450s to push your highs and mids while using subs for your lows. I personally always felt that you need to feel the bass, not just hear it ;)

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posté Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 11:53 am
Thanks DJ White Devil. That's good advice, I know.

The passive Peaveys I've been using for around 18 years are 3 way wood cabs and even though they are heavy they have paid for themselves many times over.

I suppose I should really go up to the next model of the Mackie to have the three way design, but as a veteran dj I'm not sure I'd want to carry them up 3 flights of steps.

Asymptote

Posté Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 1:29 pm
I have been in the business for over 20 years and have used just about every speaker that is been put out on the market. I must say if you are looking for a good powered speaker the mackie's are the way to go...we have used them even in a crowd of 400 people and they sound great, especially if you have to do any annoucments. The JBL's are ok in the club setting, but they lack good range for vocals. I have had no problem with the Mackie's over heating. However, I have had problems with the JBL's, they don't trasport well in a mobile applications. If you go with the Mackie three way powered speakers the sound is must better then the small two way speakers. If you go with the smaller two speakers you will need at least one powered sub. Keep in mind that the small Mackies will not work well in a large room. You will need two pairs to get good coverage. If you are looking for a great non powered speaker Smith Audio is the best buy. I have used them with subs and the louder you push them the better they sound. Not great if you are doing small venues! I would recommend to get a good drive rack no matter what speakers you get...a drive rack can be set so you never blow a speaker, plus like we do you can go in and pink a room and it will equalize the sound for the best performace for that room. You can save this and call it up everytime you do a room.

I believe sound is one are you should never cut corners. Keep in mind that your business is music and sound is the major part of it....you can have the largest music collection and be the best mixer, but if people can hear or understand you or you don't have the power to push in large venues then you really are selling your self short. Remember, many people go out to clubs during their lifetime and if they come to a wedding or a private party they want that feel when they are dancing. If I had to make a choice between that new lazer light show or a new sound system...I know what I would take!!!!

I think if you go with the Mackie's you will love them....again go with the three ways. The two ways are nice but you will need subs, other wise they sound very hollow. Plus, the three ways are in Birch Cabinets. Yes they are a little heavier, about 100 pounds each, but the sound in the birch cabinets is rich and bassy. Good luck.

You could also call my friend Sean at Farralane he will give you a good price. His company is in New York. The website is www.farralane.com . Hope this helps.

Mike

Posté Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 2:38 pm
Thanks Mike

Unfortunately, I am in the UK, so can't buy in NY.

But I am gradually, as usual moving towards spending more than I expected, but getting what I really need.

I am sure you are right about the three way option, so I will keep an eye on Ebay for a couple of weeks and see what comes up, either a two way with subs or a three way.

If nothing shows, I'll buy new. After all, the speakers will last a few years and without a good sound it's easy to fall flat, as I've found on the few occasions where I have used crappy house PAs.

Thanks again to you and all others for helping me to thnk this through.

Andy

Posté Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 5:00 pm
I can't comment on the overheating of the Mackies since I've never seen any overheat. I've used both the JBL and the Mackies and I can say the Mackies have a much improved sound. If it were sound quality, the Mackies defintely win. However, I own 4 of the JBL EON 15 and I have for some time. A lot of the time when I do gigs, I am just barely getting by with 4 EON 15s (I also run them with 4 18 inch subs), since I am barely getting by,.. meaning I should have like 8 of them,.. I run them REALLY hard. I have the volume on them turned all the way up,.. up to 10, with a full signal going into them from my mixer. Every single time I play with the JBLs that hard (LOUD for 4 or 5 hours straight),.. I'm pretty impressed that they hold up. The smell of the ferrofluid and heated voice coils make me think one will die every time,.. but they hang in there and sound good. Not as good as the Mackies though.

Posté Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 10:35 pm
Thanks anewsome
Are you using the Eon GII or the previous model?

A guy I was talking to me tonight recommended the RCF Art 15" active model,

but I'M still feeling pro Mackie.

Asymptote

Posté Tue 18 Apr 06 @ 10:49 pm
Did someone experienced the FBT speakers. Lot of clubs are using them. Month ago i was in one club, they was using 14 FBT 18" with horns and 8 FBT "polypro.... don't know right word for plastic speaker" 12" just to fill the sound in corners :) blah blah and they were great :) many people here are using 12" and 15" passive or active "plastic" FBT for carrying around for small parties (100-500 people). Never overheated, active models have all protections, 3 band eq's, preamp for mics and lines and they are not heavy :) and they are pretty chiep i think. 12" active is 700 euros, and 15" active is 1000 euros. hm they are expensive for me :) but you should consider them. I didn't hear mackie so I can't say anything, are they better or not. just say that they exist :) so if someone heard this models i would like to hear other opinions :)

Posté Wed 19 Apr 06 @ 12:09 am
We have been running the Mackie SRM450's in the club I work at. The club is open noon to 2 A.M., 7 days a week. We have had the 450's for about 2 months now and not even a flinch. I cant believe how clear these speakers are. As mentioned above you will need a sub if you decide to go with these. I hooked the club up with the guy I deal with at our local guitar center and believe we got these for around $600.00 a piece. They also went with the powered JBL JRX118SP poweres sub's which partnered up nice with these. Nothing but compliments since this system was put in.

Posté Wed 19 Apr 06 @ 2:38 pm
@asymptote - i'm using the old school EON 15s. couldn't afford 4 of the new ones. i think the GII and the originals sound similar though, just more power with the G2s.

Posté Wed 19 Apr 06 @ 6:02 pm
Thanks all of you for your fantastic comments and help here.

Today I finally gave in and ordered some Mackie SRM450s from an online store. Should arrive tomorrow.

I will hopefully, in a couple of weeks, when I have a bit more cash order either one or two subs.

I would have liked to get the three way birch ply Mackie, but they are quite heavy and I would rather do a couple of extra trips at a gig than put myself in hospital. Also, some small pub gigs I do will probably be fine with just the Mackies.

Once again thanks for your great help in making my mind up. I just need to decide whether to go for the Mackie Subs, or the KBL or some other.

Good gigging.

Asymptote

Posté Wed 19 Apr 06 @ 7:23 pm
I my self have a pair of mackies and lov them! they are heavy! Very Heavy.
But better than JBL EONs

Posté Wed 19 Apr 06 @ 7:53 pm
Hi

Just to let you guys know that my Mackies arrived this morning and I am delighted with them. The sound is real quality.

Glad i didnt go for the JBLs or anything else now.

Thanks for the input from everyone.

Asymptote

Posté Thu 20 Apr 06 @ 9:31 pm
The proof is in the sound my friend !

I don't think you will regret the Mackie 450s. I too have heard both the Mackie and the JBL and it is not much of a comparision. The Mackie has a wider dispersion of the sound and a more clear, solid range, while the JBLs seem to be more directional and so provide less coverage. I own both... bought the JBLs 1st then the Mackies and wish I had bought all Mackies.

Knuff said ! [:o)

Posté Thu 20 Apr 06 @ 11:17 pm
HI

Thanks digidoc-Mele - Just trying out at home tonight, no gig. My wife took the dog out for a walk and said the place is bouncing outside.

Just played It's Around - feat Yoio C (The most beautiful vocal in the world) by DJ Ino and mixed into Has your Man got Soul (original club mix) by Milk and Sugar.

Class Sound - Can't wait to get on the road with them and get some subs.

It's great to have contact with other DJs from different backgrounds, from all over the world, but with the same passion for music

Gonna stop posting on this thread now, but I'll sink a drink and toast you all for helping.

Asymptote

Posté Fri 21 Apr 06 @ 12:59 am
Since I have been playing through the mackies, I have heard stuff in songs that I have never noticed before. It is a big difference.

Posté Fri 21 Apr 06 @ 3:15 am
We have both the JBL models (1st gen and 2nd) as well as the Mackie 450's...

As to overheating... Yep, I have had that problem with the Mackies when I use them outdoors (in sunlight)...

They shouldn't have put cooling fins on and then painted them BLACK!!! But I do have to say that if you 'shield' them from the sunlight there are less problems...

The JBLs are stable and have a more 'bassy' sound to them than the Mackies though... With the 450's you will want to bring a sub along for any group over 50 or so...

The FIRST generation JBLs (grey ones) don't have nearly the power of the new ones... I think it's *rated* at half the new ones but it seems much farther out...

In fact, with the second generation ones, if I turn them up past half way, then it's really loud and at the same time I have to set the volume levels on my mixer WAY, WAY down... Then I can't use the Mixer's LEDs either, they barely make the 1st bar...

So, I generally keep them set at about 10 o'clock (on the speaker - about 35-40%?) and they kick butt! I can then pump up the volume controls and gains on my mixer to get a proper readout on the output LEDs... Even then, I can't think of a time I have had to crank the volume more than halfway (on the mixer that is).

Here's how I setup ANY powered speaker:

Turn speakers OFF!!!!!!

Start at the mixer... Find a pumping song... Crank up the gain (line) until it's bumping the yellow... Then crank up the overall/master volume on the mixer until I get about 1/3 of the way up (mid green for me)...

THEN I go out to the speakers, turn the volumes all the way down, set the Highs and Lows to mid and then I turn the speakers on... Next, start turning the volume up (on the speaker) until it sounds right... Then go to the other speaker(s) and do the same until everything sounds balanced...

As I said, I hardly EVER have to turn them above 10 o'clock....

The mackies I usually have to turn a bit higher... But the mackies have better HIGH END sound... Good for Karaoke and such, but I would rather use the JBLs for the most part...

Just my taste...

DJAlan

Posté Mon 24 Apr 06 @ 11:52 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
painting something black makes it emit more radiation as well as absorbing more so it shouldnt make a difference

Posté Tue 25 Apr 06 @ 12:10 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)