Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Virtual DJ - Memory Hungry! - Page: 2

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

and even...
I have had situations like (1) .. wanting to play a long "ready mix" at the beginning when there where no people around, and just wanted to chill with a beer until people came ;)

What I do then, is to TURN OFF max load in Fame settings (in VDJ settings).

You can then play a long mix without any memory problems, because VDJ dont load it into memory, but plays it like a regular mp3 program (like winamp or media player).

This works fine for Dj Mecho's (1), (2) and even (3)...

what it dont work well for, is for saved cue points for each "track of the mix", so that you can jump forward and back like it was a mix cd...

dj in norway

Posté Mon 16 Aug 04 @ 1:48 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
djmecho, you and your friend might have less problems with the software if you were using an actual full legal version of the software. Not a hacked version with an invalid serial number.

Also when you do buy the software, if you still feel the need to play 90 meg files, set the max load to never. That will keep your RAM a bit more freed up.

Posté Mon 16 Aug 04 @ 2:35 pm
djmechoHome userMember since 2004
DJ RICK, a hacked version??? The version my friend bought came with a license with HERCULES DJ CONSOLE! Why the hell you are talking this nonsense?!!!

VDJ has problems playing large mp3s, not only mixes, but tracks, for example 320kbps over 22mbytes.

RICK, I request an apology from u!

Posté Tue 17 Aug 04 @ 1:52 pm
Turning OFF the MAX LOAD doesn't help! It plays and plays.. and at a specific place it starts looping again. The machine is with 1GB memory! QUITE MUCH MORE THAN a 72Min WAVE loaded into the memory...

Have you ever tried this situation, or you are just all talking without testing the different situations this great software has problems?

Posté Tue 17 Aug 04 @ 1:54 pm
The reason i originally posted this message is because i quite use my notebook, Console and VDJ at friends & work colleagues parties, but sometimes i like to have a break from the DJing (I'm not professional and most definitely don't get paid) so it's nice to be able to load up a pre mixed mp3 whilst i'll mingle and chat with my friends, then when the mood takes me i can go back and start mixing again!

That's the reason i'd like it to peform better with large MP3's.

I whole heartedly agree that a professional DJ should never use a ripped premixed album!

But when you with your friends at a party...!

Posté Tue 17 Aug 04 @ 2:45 pm
DJ NicePRO InfinityMember since 2004
Yeah there have been many many post in regards to Memory
all you get is suggestions from the support staff with no Development Solution. I basically wasted 114 bucks the
software is BETA at best. I use long MP3 files for wedding
cocktail hours and to wind down the party (typically to get my
cases and CD's in order). Last saturday on my 2.8Ghz 512MB freshly defragemented machine. Towards the end of the night Thank GOD! (glad the bride and groom had already
left) I loaded my 50min MP3 to start wrapping up I tried
to advance to about 10min into the song and YEP you guessed it!

"Now,Now,Now,Now, Now,Now, Now,Now, Now,Now, Now,Now, Now,Now, Now,Now, Now,Now, Now,Now, Now,Now, Now,Now, Now,Now, Now,Now, Now,Now, Now,Now, Now,Now, Now,Now, Now,Now, Now,Now"

All I have to say now is Thanks allot to Product Management,
Development and a special shout out to QA. What's the
refund policy :~[

Posté Tue 17 Aug 04 @ 7:27 pm
OK, I ripped several hour+ files. 192k mp3 files. 115 or more meg in size.
Someone asked me if I have even tried to play a long file. I realized that it had been a long time since I had so I decided to test.
My desktop is a p-4 1.8g with only 512 of ram. (This is not my DJ computer and has not been optimized.) I left it set on max load, however with such a large file, vdj didn't even try to load the file into memory.
I agree wholeheartedly with other posters in this thead that there is never any good reason that a DJ should play an hour long file. As a working DJ I would never cheat my customers this way.
Anyway, after sitting here for 2+hours listening to these full CD remixes I can report that even though I have been busy with my computer as it has been playing, I scanned 30 photos, I printed several documents, I browsed the internet and I received and answered several e-mails. Throughout all this, VDJ has never skipped or looped even 1 time. Not a single skip, not a single glitch, no pauses, no problems at all.
even when I was analysing several other recently ripped large files. Not only have I been using my computer and it's resourses, I have been using VDJ to sort and analyse files.
durring a normal play process VDJ is working fine with larger files, even when I skipped ahead in the track that was playing.
However, even knowing this I again would NEVER load up a long file and cheat my customers by pretending to be a DJ while it was playing.

Posté Tue 17 Aug 04 @ 7:40 pm
keyonPRO InfinityMember since 2003

What? Maybe not a club for live dance music but there are many venues outside of clubs where it would be absolutely fine for a dj to play a hr. file, even paid gigs. specifically as just background music. It's the equivalent of using automix, which I use all the time for dinner and cocktail music for mobile stuff; nobody cares and it isn't any less professional.

Posté Wed 18 Aug 04 @ 6:12 am
Keyon, I'm new to this, and never did a gig, but why wouldn't they (the customers) just put on a cd, if all the (paid) dj is doing is playing, well, a cd...

Posté Wed 18 Aug 04 @ 12:11 pm
I can tell you one reason why.
Go look up the price of a Crown 3600 Amp
better yet take a look at the price of Dual 15' powered JBL
More so try lifting a crown 3600 out of your
basement then into a truck then out of a truck
then to your event. Playing long MP3 is not a prob
exspecially if its your own mix. There's more to DJing
than just playing music its having and carrying around the right equipment as well. With my set up my 500w self-powered
sub goes right thru your body that alone for some is
worth my rate.

Posté Wed 18 Aug 04 @ 2:48 pm
DJ Rick Here is a simple test I want you to try then let me
know your results

1. Open Virtual DJ 2.01
2. From the Config Settings turn MAX LOADING off
3. Find your favorite CD
4. Place this CD in your Audio CD Drive.
5. Using VDJ browse to the Audio CD Drive.
6. Load a track from this CD in one of the panels
7. Press Play - Let it ride for a few seconds
8. Now load another track off this CD into the free panel
9. Attempt to set a cue point

What are your results ?

Posté Wed 18 Aug 04 @ 3:21 pm
RICK! Where is your apology?

Posté Wed 18 Aug 04 @ 6:04 pm
well, first of all I would never use VDJ to play a CD. 2nd, I also would never use it with max load set to never.
However, I played along and tried it.
I inserted an audio CD in my cd-rom, opened VDJ set max load to none and browsed to my CD drive. I dragged track 1 to the left deck and hit play, then I dragged track 2 to the right deck, and using the virtual TT set it up to the beginning of the music and set a cue point.

I'm not sure what you expected might happen, but I had no problems.

This was my desktop computer which is NOT optimized for VDJ usage. it's still a p-4 1.8g with only 512 of ram.
I'm trying to say this computer is nothing special.
Also, I agree that a DJ needs good equipment. However, having a good sound system doesn't excuse the act of playing an hour long file while pretending to be a DJ. I think we have a different opinion of what a DJ is supposed to do.

Posté Wed 18 Aug 04 @ 6:11 pm
Not everyone here works clubs where live remixing is the norm. There is no single way to dj for fun or professionally. There are many dj venues, some have different requirements and you adapt to the place and demographic accordingly. Like some of you, I get paid good money for straight up mobile djing. I haven't had a single client ever care how you mix jazz and instrumental music during the dinner or cocktail portion of an event. They aren't paying you for your smooth or slamming mixing skills during this portion, they just want light background music to fill in the gaps and give the party some atmosphere. Nobody pays attention to the music in this portion of the event. In this case, yes, automix, hell, even a premixed 1 hr. cd would be fine. It's the live dance portion that your dj skills come in especially handy: reading the crowd, music selection, mixing. For top 40 wedding crap, I've even used automix for live dancing; contrary to traditional mobile dj opinion maybe, I've found for weddings and basic top 40 dance pop stuff (again, not clubs), especially with middle aged crowds, nobody cares about the way songs are mixed together, even simple radio fades like the ones automix does works great. However, when I'm do a strictly live remix gig, course I do everything manually, that's what I'm getting paid to do. This weekend I got hired to remix underground music for a 5 hour gig. cues, loops, samples, crazy mixes, the works. You can betcha I won't ever touch automix. But there's a time and place for everything, even for automix and 1 hr. cds.

And lodewijik, good question: again, specifically for dinner/cocktail music, the client would just put on a premixed cd if they could, if they had a PA system available. Really, during this music portion, they're paying you for you audio/PA setup. And not your mixing skills. easy money. it's the dance portion where you really work for your money.

Posté Wed 18 Aug 04 @ 9:01 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Ima have to agree with Rick I been a Pro Dj for years i started on Vinyl. I can never see myself playing an hour long cd anywhere and I've Dj'd everywhere Thats just not Dj'ing
if it's a break u want... then make a 2 or 3 song mixed file
as far as and hour long mix ...then that will leave them asking why hire a dj? just buy some cd's and let them play the night

Posté Wed 18 Aug 04 @ 9:50 pm
then your definition of djing is too narrow and too judgemental. There's always more than one way to do things.
Again, for background music, clients don't hire you for your live mixing skills, it's the last thing on their minds. Weddings for example. They hire you for reception coordination skills, your abilities on the mic, your ability to read the crowd and put on great music, not your slamming mixing style. Not everything is always about the mixing.

Obviously there's a time and place for automix for some, which is why a lot of professional dj programs include them and why some professional djs use the function. It takes no skill to fade jazz dinner music in and out; you're basically playing someone else's music, nothing creative about it. I let automix do that portion of the evening for me without qualms and it doesn't make me any less of a dj. On the flip, just because I can remix on the fly well and other dj's can only do radio fades/mixes doesn't make me any more legit than them as a dj either.

Let's not be so full of ourselves as if we're better than.

Posté Wed 18 Aug 04 @ 10:23 pm
most of old vinyl djs are so ignorant to new technologies. the good thing is that there are more and more open-minded people like the guys from vdj development team!

(moderated)

Posté Wed 18 Aug 04 @ 11:28 pm
seems we are never gonna agree if the dj should play a long already made mix for a break, or not...
Like Keyon said, there might be some using VDJ not at a club gig, but with friends, a wedding arrangement etc

So, lets leave the fight about if a dj need a long mix or not, and lets say there are a few that wants this..

IF there is a problem, I'm very sure that VDJ TEAM will adress this and make it work smoother, as The Team always seem to listen to its users (and thats unique compared with other software)

BUT - I really really would like to hear more about PC specs etc from those who have this problem, because, as with Dj Riick, I can not reproduce the problem at my pc!! REALLY!! I'm not kidding!!
When using a LARGE 100mb mp3 file, I turn down, or off "max load" = no problems (for me), and vdj plays it just like any other mp3 program (if u jump a long way into the song, there will be a skip, because the file is not loaded into memory, as it will with windows media player etc)

WITH cd playing, Dj Nice, thats really different!!! Playing to 2 songs from the same cd in VDJ, as u might guess, needs VDJ to load the whole song, before loading a new song and moving around for that. So, "max load" has to be full..
And agian, I have NO problems, playing with this setting.

But still... it does seem like some have problems with really really large mp3 files, and I'm trying to understand why! (because I dont have the problem). Of course we gotta belive all saying they have such a problem, and the issue is to find a solution....
- does turn off max load help?
- do u have enough memory (ram AND free harddrive space)
- do u have any kind of IRQ conflict w/ soundcard?
- Pc fast enough?

and - if there really is a problem for some, even after fine-tuning system, and having optimal settings, I'm sure the team will adress this, and make an even smoother "no preload into ram" kinda play for really large files, if a lot of users request this ;)

and djmecho, please be really sure before u attack dj rick ;) u now.. there are ways to tell. And its better to say sorry, when spotted, than to attac ;) but i'm not the one to tell..

dj in norway

Posté Thu 19 Aug 04 @ 12:35 am
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
i think the problem with skipping in long mixes hasn't been quite diagnosed correctly.

the problem is when you skip through the song ie. click half way through the progress bar where it has not yet loaded the song yet, this seems to put vdj into a loop for a few seconds on large files (plays a short loop of the last bit of music data that was loaded just before clicking, whilst loading the new bit of data) if you have enough memory to load the whole long file into memory no such problem would happen, but with the engine as it is at the moment it takes alittle bit to time to buffer the song whils skipping through it (it doesn't just go straight there like if the song if fully pre-loaded. all it really means is that you cant skip through a long file live while that desk is active. it does not effect the other desk

Posté Thu 19 Aug 04 @ 10:42 am
hey this is OWSOME :) let the beat rulllllllllllll good luck in mixing djzzzzzzz

Posté Sat 21 Aug 04 @ 2:01 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)