Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Sujet 2 Modes of Play

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

I actually meant to say this the first day I arrived as a User.

The other soft I was looking at get has this feature and I think it's absoloutely amazing to work with.

(It's MV Ex and I almost bought it but I didn't like the way you had to find songs in the database...so you won me on the search feature.)

Anyway the feature I'm is the option between 2 modes of play...CD Mode and Vinyl Mode.

In CD Mode you get the bennefit of "True Instant Start" just like in a CD Deck.

and

In Vinyl Mode the play.pause button will perform more like those on a turntable. First press it will spin up to speed and on subsequent press it'll spin down and so on and on.

The best bit about this in my eyes is it'll be quicker to use as an effect unlike remembering which effect button you assgned the SpinDown effect to...apart from actually being a pretty small button on screen in the first place...you really actually have to concentrate on what your doing, keep an eye on screen all the time to make sure you get the right one.
I think the true benefit in this will be on occassions where ppl come to talk to the DJ (I'm not necessarily thinking of in a club environment, but more as a mobile where you get LOTS of requests) and you have to say "hold on a sec" while you wait for the point to come where you wanna do it...then when you've done it and go talk to them they suddenly don't think it sounds so cool and you look pretty lame.

What would make it even better...would be if one of the buttons on the DAC allowed you to jump between Vinyl Mode and CD Mode, you wouldn't even have to touch the mouse...it would be so quick to use and disable the feature...I'm thinking Eject/Load button cos I don't know of it doing anything???

Additionally this would save users having to use 2 effect all the time...one for Spin-Up and one for Spin-Down. We could have all our other effects there ready to use.
Also if you do this...could we please extend the config of the 2 effects to allow up to 10 seconds and not sound like it cut out as such at the end.

Whats anyone else think of this idea...obviously I love it...but I think most jocks would find a use for it.

Ross

Posté Fri 09 Jul 04 @ 11:21 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Would love to see that implemented, rather than an effect.

Posté Fri 09 Jul 04 @ 1:08 pm
I thinks it's a bad idea because vdj need to be original !

Dev teams don't need to copy other software to have a good product.

I know what software you are talking about (i'm a full user of it to), and if vdj become like this i'll be very very sad.

Posté Fri 09 Jul 04 @ 10:31 pm
Thats possibly the worst/stupidest thing I've ever heard anyone say about an idea.

Think about what you just said...you don't think it's not a good idea because another piece of software has it...which I and another user already think would be a good feature.

I mean lets just think about what you've said...we are both keen to see a feature in another app in VDJ.
Every single software house copies other peoples ideas...thats how you get competitive software.

It's a feature that will allow users to be more creative and also free up allocations for other effects.

I almost baught MV because of that feature alone...I liked how manual it was rather than being automated...I preferred the way it played mp3's too but the sole reason I didnt buy MV and went for VDJ instead was because of the search facility...I actually preffered DJing with MV...but it didnt meet the spec I needed for the majority of the work I do.

This is not a flame but it sounds like a sort of silly thing to say when it could improve the functionality of the app.

What does everyone else think about this feature...I wish we had polls here.

Posté Sat 10 Jul 04 @ 12:04 am
@ Marius le malin

True, VDJ should be original, no doubt about it, but your argument is a bit off. Example:

Because all turntables are round (circles), why not be original and make them square? Nonsense? It's the same with a plug-in, why not make a longer time for DJ to adjust the effect, if there exists already a simpler solution for it, but it's already used by everyone, so we won't use it since we have to be original? Don't think so.

By that I mean the creativity should work in a helpful way of making things easier, faster and better, not (only) different from other apps just because of competition.

I believe that implementing DJ Ross' idea would be a lot helpful, if it would work as adjustable spindown/up time button by the play/pause (as on turtables or better CD/turntable emulators like CDJ-1000 etc.). It would save DJ's time to concentrate on other things, and I do think that features that are most often used (such as this "plug-in"), should have a faster and more user-friendly access. I don't blame the effects, a new interface is very good, but this improvement for this particullar "effect" would be much better :)

Regards

Posté Sat 10 Jul 04 @ 9:54 am
ok !

English is not my natural language and i need to find some other word.

For me this fonction is just a toy, on a real mix i (and all dj i know in club in paris) don't use the turntable start because it's not a good way to made a intro.

If other like this why not, i'm not the only one to speak here.

Please don't be so agressive with me, i respect you, you need to respect me and my idea. i just say it's a bad idea not a silly idea or thing like that.

As you say, a forum is a place where we can exchange some idea and some words, a poll is for that to no ? if you critic everybody who are against your idea, i call that a dictature.

Posté Sat 10 Jul 04 @ 12:05 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I agree with Marious for the turntable start.
The turntable brake is an ''effect'' because it sounds good
and can be ''in sync'' when you mix.
But the turntable start (0.7 sec for the 1200's) is a
''design limitation'' for the turntables something like the latency of the computer soundcards.
Thats why we use splitmats on real turntables to avoid
this ''latency'', having only the record start not the moter.
And its always ''out of sync'' - you can't press start on
the beat and have the songs synced too.
Saying that, i was a DMC champion in my country and i know
what i say.
I think mixvibes is wrong emulating both start-brake
It should have the option to disable turntable start.

George V. /remixer/producer

Posté Sat 10 Jul 04 @ 1:54 pm
@ Marius le malin

First of all, I do respect you and other users on forum, especially the effort one put's in his post. I'm sorry and I apologize if you felt I was agressive in my post, but I was just trying to show clearly what your idea was like (well, at least the way it was described).

@ all

This might be a function you don't use much, and I totally agree with you that it's unuseable for a good intro (and good mixing), but some might use it while mixing to create some cool effects or sth. While the spindow time sounds great with some types of music, for brakes etc. (esp. ~ 1 beat spindown), so it's sometimes indispensable to me.

The point is, with a good controll button which can turn like EQ swithces on mixers, it would be very easy to controll that "latency" to simulate an effect from 0 to (for example) 10 sec or so. Anyone who doesn't like it could leave it at 0 (so the same as it is now, without that "effect"), and when you want to play with it (because it is a "toy", right :P), one can just set it to desiered point.

Apopis, if mixvibes is simulating that latency without a turn off switch, I totally agree with you it's wrong :) I never tried that software, but that is not the way I (and Ross, for now :P) want it to be like in VDJ. Hope that explains it.

And just to repeat Ross'es statement with which I fully agree:
"... I think most jocks would find a use for it."

Regards

PS.: Must not forget, congratulations on DMC champion Apopis! ;)

Posté Sat 10 Jul 04 @ 4:30 pm
that ok for me !

we are friends now ;-)

Posté Sun 11 Jul 04 @ 10:53 am
Yeah I didnt mean to sound agressive either but I'm sure you will appreciate the way your initial reply comes across...kind of like I don't want it - so it's bad.

VDJ is in a position to be so much better than any other DJ software around...it would also be a really easy feature to control.

On that note - I think the adjustable loop could be much easier to control than what it is.

Erxon - when have you ever seen a square turntable...that just wouldnt wok lol. :-)

Posté Mon 12 Jul 04 @ 3:53 am
DJ Ross M, I didn't, that's why it would be original lol ;)

Posté Mon 12 Jul 04 @ 8:11 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I'm for Vinyl / CD option too.

Posté Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 6:28 am
me 2 ;)

Posté Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 6:34 am
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
sounds like a good featue to me but im from the old school of vinyl anyway so maybe im being partial

Posté Mon 26 Jul 04 @ 10:15 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
sounds a bit unproffesional to wish for this..., virtual dj is a digital playback software, the futre of digital dj'ing, i'm against going backwards and adding old skool features....

vinyl is one playback and mp3 files are another, if mp3 tries to be vinyl....then vinyl will always stay on top.

more interested in revolution than replica....

just my strong opinion, saying that it would be a fun but atomixmp3 is for fun, vdj should be kept pro.

just seems a bit hypocritical for this software, and at this calibre to go backwards after creating revolutionary software that exceeds the old hardware, or for arguements sake that is original and differes from conventional hardware.....

this is why virtual dj team wont do it!

Posté Tue 27 Jul 04 @ 12:05 am
They've already done part of it, we just want the feature to be more accessible and easier to use.

Hows it going backwards?
It just allows you to be more creative in your mixes.

This is the exact reason that Vinyl jocks won't go to CD or PC, because they feel they'll miss out on features.

Wouldn't it be much better if it could do everything you can do on Vinyl, CD and then some more.

Posté Tue 27 Jul 04 @ 1:11 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
What you'll find is that when you first decide you want to dj, then you have to decide on the format..., completely a personal preference..., depending on your preffered music, and what's logical to you...

As it happens i found my way using computers and for me it's pros out way the cons..., whereas vinyl wasn't my bag..., and cd's was a close one...

but this is a decision every dj has to make especially now when theere many different ways to dj..., but it's normally a matter of money and what the dj is accustomed too. i wouldn't have the time or money to learn all formats and buy into those formats..., and for me that would make me a poorer dj if i tried to do everything....

look at the most famous and argueably the best dj's in the world..., their roots are all from vinyl but now they have cd, mp3 the lot...., and they love technology, as they love music.

they don't see any competition, they have the time and money to use all 3 formats and still be very good.

so we must choose, and i'm all up for new features but mp3 will never be vinyl and vinyl never mp3....., so i'm for it as long as the line isn't crossed.

as for timecoded vinyl, final scratch etc..., that's not what i'm saying, because how these work...., just my way of thinking :)

Posté Tue 27 Jul 04 @ 2:28 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I understand where your coming from but as an Old School dj to be honest the main reason VDJ won me over was many of the similarities it has to vinyl when i use that skin (the nudge and scratch are just some examples) None of my other Dj friends would have even Drop there needles for a Lcd but after they have seen VDJ's features and how it works there alreayd loading there vinyl's to there Pc's (takes forever believe me) so from ur New Age perspective I understand you somewhat but as far as sales and winning over Turntablist VDj is on the right track
to be honest VDJ is closer to vinyl's than any dual deck pro cd was if u dont believe me ask my 2 pioneer cmx '3000 and 5000 that have been collecting dust while my 1200's and Pc are nice and shiny

Posté Sun 01 Aug 04 @ 5:50 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)