Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Sujet Great idea: use mono line-in for time coded vinyls

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

ProtoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Double O wrote:

Just a quick idea: VDJ Development Team can update the software so that the line-in right stereo channel controls the right VDJ Player (desk), and the line-in left stereo channel controls the left Player (desk). All you would need to do is connect a stereo jack to your computer and plug one phono line from each turntable into the stereo jack. You also could add Y-adapters to the remaining phono lines and plug them into your mixer. This would give you the ability to still play vinyl on your turntables.

Proto: That would be so cool. One of my main things is that I want to bring as less as possible on a gig. If it is technical possible to just use a mono channel from the time coded vinyl this would rock. All laptops come with a line-in. I can't wait for my records to arrive.

Posté Wed 28 Jul 04 @ 7:01 pm
Proto,
i was re-thinking this option. At first I thought it was a good idea, but it might not be possible. If the software determines the drive direction, speed and position from the stereo signal it will not work in mono.
So we have to wait until somebody from the development team clarify if the vinyls could be used in mono.
Ewout

Posté Wed 28 Jul 04 @ 7:56 pm
I know, but let's hope ;-)!

Posté Wed 28 Jul 04 @ 8:03 pm
DJ Ze OuF: “the timecode must absolutly be recorded in stereo to work !”

You can use a Y-adapter to connect both phono lines from one turntable into one channel of a stereo jack. In this configuration, the software is receiving all the data through one channel. As innovative as the VDJ Development team is, I’m sure this team can update the software to work in the aforementioned configuration.

dj-in-norway: “although, not sure, but think u can play regular vinyl already by dragging "soundcard" in vdj brownser to deck.”

If this is true, the configuration that I’ve mentioned in this post should allow for vinyl to be played with both phono jacks from two turntables connected directly into a computer. The VDJ Development Team should include a “Bypass” button in a future software update. The "Bypass" button would make it very easy to play music from a turntable or CD player through one of the VDJ players while mixing. The software could still calculate the BPM of a song being played from a turntable or CD player; this would allow you to beatlock and mix mp3’s with the other VDJ player. You could also use real vinyl to scratch with while you are mixing.

Double O

b.t.w. This post was taken from the “Time coded vinyl” thread found in the General Discussion forum.

Posté Wed 28 Jul 04 @ 9:54 pm
Checked with team.
- it can not be a mono signal, or else the scratch would not be good..
- y splitter can be used to have signal from turntable go to LINE-IN at soundcard, AND to PHONO-IN at mixer...

so when playing timecoded vinyl, u would use VDJ and LINE-IN at mixer (sound from VDJ), and when playing regular vinyl, switch to phono-in at mixer (sound straight from turntables)

Posté Wed 28 Jul 04 @ 10:30 pm
VJ_EchoPRO InfinityMember since 2004
:( now that just makes me sad... now, next step... would I be able to run one turn table into the line-in on the Hercules console and the other turn table into the line-in on the laptop?

Posté Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 6:36 am
Makes me glad. Better have best quality!

Posté Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 7:49 am
VJ_Echo... no.. u cant

get a y-splitter...
so that signal from turntables go to 2x line-in at soundcard (or one, if u are using one turntable)
the other part of the split, goes to PHONO-IN at mixer

the sound out from soundcard goes to LINE-IN at mixer
(same channel as turntable, if using to)

NOW, switch between timecode vinyl + vdj (LINE IN) and regular vinyl (PHONO-IN) at mixer, and u can use turntables for both ;)

Posté Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 3:47 pm
There is an easy way to test the whole Mono/Stereo Concept idea, just to be 100% sure.

Anyone who already owns time-coded could record a 1 minute stereo wav/mp3 (technically it only has to be 16 beats worth but do a minute so we can test) then anylise the recording in Sound Forge and you'll be able to be 100% sure if it is recorded in True Stereo or Common'd (left and right channel the same).

It sounds entirely possible, but what about people with several line inputs anyway? How does the time-coded vinyl work at present, can anyone with a line in use it on one deck at present?

Ross.

Posté Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 10:10 pm
there will be released a wave from VDJ team this weekend ;)
can try then ;)

and its not that mono will not work, as the Dev team said, but the scratch is not accurate enough...

so, to make the best possible, and best ever timecode engine, they made it stereo ;) and that sound good to me

Posté Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 10:22 pm
VJ_EchoPRO InfinityMember since 2004
What about if they made the option available to use either? Mono or Stereo, that way the people with one line in can use 2 turntables and the "scratch fanatics" :) with 2 line in's can use the stereo! :)

Posté Fri 30 Jul 04 @ 12:48 pm
yeah...
that could be cool :)

If possible..

Posté Fri 30 Jul 04 @ 1:49 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)