Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Sujet The problem with VDJ pitching

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hi All=)

I'm DJ Zero1 from South Africa and i've been DJing since i was 11 (i'm now 20)...
Virtual DJ to me is a fine piece of software and i use it religously because it's that good...
however there is but one thing that i must vent about!

VDJ DOES NOT PITCH ACCURATELY ENOUGH (Well for me at least)..........
i can only set the pitch increments to plus or minus 0.1%!!!!!!!!!!
on a turntable or or CDJ you can get far finer pitching than just 0.1% and if you good then your tracks will stick and all you need to worry about is ripping up the dance floor instead of pitching....

as a DJ i dont want to constantly be wrestling with the beats to keep em' in sync and i refuse to use the beatlock because what kind of a real DJ uses a program to pitch for them? it defies the point of being a DJ=) the increments should be fully customisable to anything like 0.002% for DJ fine pitching methinks.
So Please Please PLEASE! launch a patch or fix to allow the ultimate DJ program to really be ULTIMATE!
I would appreciate it so much! and i think that DJ DeadBeat has a good idea too....

Keep Rocking and keep up the good work guys!

Posté Wed 22 Nov 06 @ 2:50 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
if u like it u should buy it ;)

Posté Wed 22 Nov 06 @ 2:57 pm
Most VDJ skins only display pitch % or BPM to 1dp, but VDJ is capable of far greater precision, depending on the following:

* Pitch range used: 12% will give considerably greater precision than 34%. 8% will give even greater precision. The same also applies to most standard hardware CD players.

* Controller used - Timecode Vinyl or CD's should give the same precision as the decks or CD players being used. Standard MIDI controllers only have 128 steps to the pitch slider, so will give very course increments, even at 8% range. DAC-3 and XP10's have 256 steps, so give greater precision (0.1% at 12% pitch range and 0.06% at 8% pitch range.)

* If you are using the on-screen pitch sliders on the VDJ skin, their precision will depend on their on-screen size. If you use a skin with longer sliders, you should get greater precision (You will need to purchase VDJ to download other skins.)

Posté Wed 22 Nov 06 @ 6:53 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
well turntables will be different from cd players. Since turntables have motors it will cause a pitch fluctuation of +/- 0.1. Cd players or midi controllers will not have this variation in pitch. In my experience the +/-0.1 has never been too much that it throws my beatmix off and if you ever mixed with vinyl you have to keep your ears open to constantly monitor and correct.... thats just the way it is. I'm not sure of what you said you were mixing with but i dont know if that is your trouble.

Posté Wed 22 Nov 06 @ 8:07 pm
Thanks guys... I appreciate the feedback.

Your points are well taken but i suppose when i order my timecoded vinyls (eventually) then my pitching problems will be over=)

but neway, i still maintain that VDJ should allow decimal inputs in the options menu when creating a fine pitch button for example! the lowest number i can select is +/-1 for the pitch value but i would almost give my kingdom and horse if i could insert a custom variable like +/-0.5 or +/-0.2 or whatever=)

With finer pitching then i can concentrate more on the technical aspects of my mixing instead of regularly having to pitch bent the tracks back into [perfect] sync. And i know that no pitch is ever 100% perfect but other DJ software (which isn't as cool as VJD!) does allow for truly custom inputs which gets you closer to the perfect pitch more than a +/-1 increment would...

while i use turntables (and CDJs when at the club), i still find VDJ indespensible for really complicated mixes that involve beat juggling, looping and other technical crowd-pleasers, so even with the concideration of the fluctuations of a turntable motor or the pitch accuracy of various skins, finer pitching will be an early xmas present for me=D

Please santa, i bin a good Deep House and Trance DJ this year!
Make me a real boy=D

Posté Thu 23 Nov 06 @ 8:48 am
Internally, VDJ has 4096 pitch steps, which at 12% pitch range will give pitch increments of 0.005859375%! Even at 34%, you'll still get increments of 0.0166015625%.

A 'pitch +1' or 'pitch -1' shortcut (Assigned to key or MIDI) will adjust by 1 VDJ pitch step, giving very fine pitch increments as above.

NOTE: Even with very fine pitch adjustments, you may never be able to get a perfect match and will need to do the odd pitch bend to correct. Some songs may vary in tempo throughout the song (Especially those recorded by bands.)

Posté Thu 23 Nov 06 @ 7:10 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)