Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Sujet Seperating The Men From The Boys ;)

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I was just thinking about the different technology of playback device, and concluded to myself that of the three formats:
Vinyl
CD
Mp3 Software (VDJ)

they were of course invented in that order too and thus vinyl is the most basic, then onto cd players offering more features, and finally mp3 software which seems to be without limit as to the features ;).., (especially in the case of vdj as it doesn't just replicate cd players).

So I was thinking about VDJ marketing and how VDJ can show it's self to be more rich and advanced with what it offers to a dj.., also how the software could appeal to all dj's from all backgrounds e.g vinyl or cd..., so the transition could be decided upon "with" or "without" major transformation...

so i had this idea.., that virtual dj software could implement 3 different "modes" of use.., much of the change however would be in regards to the skins setup, but i think modes would be a better idea as it would be more user friendly and obvious than a skin change (maybe).

example of how it could look like (upon vdj opening):

"Which mode would you like to run Virtual Dj in?

vinyl (all the features of a conventional turntable)
CD (includes the features of a standard cd player, loop etc)
VDJ (advanced config, offering breakthrough features)

note: This changes the features and display of the software, it doesn't relate to a change of format."

if this was programmed then it could be made more obvious what hardware and devices are compaitable with vdj, e.g vinyl mode = timecode. cd mode = time code, dac 2, hercules, xp10. VDJ mode = all the listed devices and midi support.., and so on.

This is just an idea i feel would benefit virtual dj and also be a pleasure to use, and attract users from vinyl and cd backgrounds, it would also make it obvious that vdj can look and behave like vinyl and cd but also has the option to have more features..., thus making it a standout product...

in my mind it would sure put the majority of critics to rest..

Anyway this is just my thoughts and opinion, an alternative way would be to do a simular thing but with just skins rather than creating several engines.., but that for me would be less impressive as the vdj features would always run and perhaps defeat the object of what i'm saying...

But it's all good and this is my suggestion, but virtual dj as it is, is my dream come true..,

Bagpuss ;)

Posté Fri 20 Aug 04 @ 2:08 am
And to be a bit more specific to what i was saying, for vinyl mode i ment to say, that the waveform would be taken away, the bpm counters away, sync, bealock and all effects, samples etc..., so then it really is virtual vinyl mode...,

And for cd to bring in bpm counters and semless looping, plus any other features that cd's can offer, like sync etc..,

and then the VDJ mode would be a standout, hope this is clear now,

the skins could also represent these modes graphically too..., i.e cd players, vinyl (like the existing one but maybe with a full needle movement that goes on the parameters of the length of song), and virtual dj mode maybe like an advanced cd player or alternative look,

Posté Fri 20 Aug 04 @ 10:16 am
Sounds great, especially if in vinyl mode you really could pick up the virtual needle with your mouse and advance it, or start a record. Ofcourse the virtual needle would be in sync with the timecoded vinyl too.

Posté Fri 20 Aug 04 @ 12:58 pm
u guys got a nice idea

but all this extra code and diffrent windows and modes will make vdj use more memory and maybe slow it down

i'd rather c the software improved and given more stability and power ( effects etc ) than just to edit the soft ware

VDJ is getting mad props on alot of music , djing & production forums and i'd like vdj to be improved not edited

but to tell u the truth it sounds cool more than usefull

and this is just my opinion

anyone else like to comment ??

dj smokey

Posté Sun 22 Aug 04 @ 2:10 am
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
maby just a bigger selection in the installation options so that it automatically set up presets for the config you will be using...

Posté Sun 22 Aug 04 @ 12:39 pm
sorry.., i think you misunderstood me a little, i was referring to different "modes" of use.., i.e upon start-up it asks you how you would like to run vdj...

The vdj version we are all using would be one of the modes, but also the vinyl mode could be simpler, final scratch and serato software are now the market leaders on the "timecodeed vinyl, cd systems" but are expensive, whereas vdj system is incredibly cheap, and from what I understand works incredibly well too ;)

but a dedicated mode for this use would be nice with the software stripped bare to look like a traditional vinyl set-up, if this is how the user wants to run the software..

or alternatively run vdj as it is now (more or less) and then configure it to work, in this instance vdj would run with the active waveforms, loop functions and everything we all know plus probably more features by the time... :)

I hope you understand me better now, that the software would have a variety of different "modes", so no extra memory would be needed.., in fact it would need an awful lot less in vinyl mode!!, as the advanced features that take up much memory would be taken away...

it would only take up more hardrive space.., which shouldn't be a problem.

this would be a very proffesional vdj system, giving the user more options and appealing to all.., to make vdj the ultimate package that out performs the competition at this incredible price.., although it more or less does.., i'm sure when you think about it you'll see how this will be good for all users and of course the developers who will reap the rewards...

I was kinda aiming this post at the pro users mainly, who have yet to comment.., so any more thoughts on this idea?

Posté Sun 22 Aug 04 @ 1:33 pm

"I was kinda aiming this post at the pro users mainly, who have yet to comment.., "

dont judge who's pro and who's not

if ur just some dumb begginer then good for u and ur useless idea but dont be judging ppl

Posté Mon 23 Aug 04 @ 1:56 am
hehe :)

Seems you took offence to something that wasn't aimed at you!!!, It was a jesture that many of the pro users i know haven't yet commented....

by no means saying you aren't a pro user, you could be the best of the best for all i know..., but the more familular pros on here...

so sorry to sound rude, but you misunderstood a perfectly inoccent comment regarding more feedback..

So actually you've judged me not the other way my friend ;)

Posté Mon 23 Aug 04 @ 2:02 am
i dont think bagpuss is judging anybody ;)

and it seems like a great idea, for different modes of play

Posté Mon 23 Aug 04 @ 2:03 am
would be propper spafe if the striped down versions were more than just reskinned versions of the same software, as in if the striped down 2 decks an a mixer mode was a stripped down program with all of the unused features not having to be loaded into memory and thus more natural, lag free pure and all those other buzz words that dj programs are trying to hype themselves up with. This wuold doubtles catch the attention of the elusive pro users that bedroom dj's look up to to make their decisions on where to spend their hard earned cash. aka boom in popularity and revenue

Posté Thu 28 Oct 04 @ 4:37 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)