Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Program Auto Mix

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Can anyone walk me through programing an auto mix.

For example. I have three 2 minute songs. I want each song to start 5 seconds into the song and I want each song to automix after playing for 1 minute.

If I set two cue points 1 and 2 the song will start with the first cue point but play through the second cue point????

It seems like I can not set an exit point? Can someone please try this and walk me through the correct way to do it.

What should my crossfader be set to? Currently I have it on scratch, fade length is 0 and force fade is enabled....

Thanks. CM

Posté Thu 29 Mar 07 @ 5:48 pm
First of all, I am a no license user because I am waiting patiently for the Numark Total Control to be released, which includes Cue LE, which is a Virtual DJ, but without video projection, which is fine with me.

While I have been waiting, I have been learning as much as I can about the capabilities of Virtual DJ. I learned a fair amount about setting entry and exit points with the automix feature. I will warn you that automix is not 100% stable. There are a few bugs, but haven’t messed with automix much for a while, so I don’t remember them, so you’ll need to spend some time on it. With the release of 4.3, some of these bugs I hear are fixed.

If you are looking to do just fade mix, the easiest thing in the world to do, to avoid a lot of work, is go into “config”, click on the “options” tab, click the button to enable “force fade”, and then adjust the length of the fade from 0 to about 16 seconds.

If a big part of your concern, is about songs with crap intros, like a bunch of talking or whatever that lasts way too long, then you will absolutely need to edit specific entry and exit points.

--------
Another point, if you are doing just straight fade mixes with automix, with Force Fade enabled, then it is just about 100% stable and reliable.
--------
Okay, onto entry & exit points.

1. Load a song into Deck 1.
2. Now look for the Automix button at the top, in the center, but DON’T PUSH IT.
3. Instead, look to the right and left, you will find a “BPM” button on each side of the Automix button. Because you loaded the song into Deck 1, use the BPM button on the Deck 1 side.
4. The first 2 tabs of the window that comes up, is for BPM adjustment, if virtualdj got it wrong, and that is another topic, so we won’t worry about that right now.
5. Look at the 3rd Tab, that says, “Edit Automix”. Click that Tab.
6. You will notice three sections, for “Mix Fade, Mix Cut, and Mix Tempo”. Under each, you will see two buttons for “Set Entry Point”, and “Set Exit Point”. You will probably be happy to see those…LOL.
7. Exit and Entry points have to be set for each type of mix, individually, if you want something other than what is set as default.
8. To set Entry point, move the waveform window, so that the specific point where you want to set the Entry point, is at the Center line in the Waveform window. Then click “Set Entry Point”.
9. To set Exit point, it’s the same. Move the waveform window, so that the specific point where you want to set the Exit point, is at the Center line in the Waveform window. Then click “Set Exit Point”.

!!!IMPORTANT!!! You might find yourself immediately disappointed, but the fact that your entry/exit points don’t seem to be working. The reason why, is you need to shut down Virtual DJ completely, and then restart, for it to save and recognize those new entry/exit points you just set. Obviously, this would be irritating to do one file at a time, so feel free to edit a bunch of song files before shutting down and restarting Virtualdj. When you move to the next file, virtualdj does keep the entry/exit points in mind for the file you just did, it just won’t formally save them or use them until you restart, so feel free to do multiple files before restarting and testing it all out. However, do think about it like when you are writing an important document, “save often”…LOL. I don’t recommend editing 1,000 songs before shutting down and restarting, as you will be cussing if Winblows crashes on you after you have edited 956 songs without shutting down virtualdj….LOL.

One more note, with automixing, the main problem I found, was that even though, for example, you might set one song to “Not allow” a cut mix, it would cut mix it anyway. If you have Force Fade enabled, this will never be an issue, but if you are messing with letting automix try and cut mix and tempo mix, then be aware you will want to set good entry and exit points for all three types of mixes, just incase it decides to do something else other than what you planned….LOL. As for myself, I think I am going to primarily just manually beatmatch, and when I need a bathroom trip, I’ll just use Force Fade…LOL.

Man, where is that Numark Total Control!!! AAAAHHH!!!! Hehe…

Take care buddy…

Posté Thu 29 Mar 07 @ 6:54 pm
Thank you for your message that is exactly what I was looking for..... However.... I have been trying to use the Edit AUTOMIX tab for some time and while I never closed and saved VDJ I thought you had the answer..

I did exactly what you said, with Automix off, I brought up a song, set an entry and exit point, brought up another song, set and entrance and exit point. Closed VDJ 4.3, saving my database then reopened, put both songs in the play list to the right and hit auto play....

NOTHING worked.. If I goto the BPM Automix tab then I actually see the entry and exit points... BUT AS SOON as I close the TAB they go away and VDJ plays right through them....

This is such a pain..... Any other suggestions??

I use MP3 trim to edit the dead space out of my dinner and cocktail music but I have 15,000 jams and I want to be able to set the exit points on the fly...While I am playin...

Thanks again for your help... CM

Posté Thu 29 Mar 07 @ 7:16 pm
I think you are pressing the wrong "Automix" button. The "Automix" button at the top of the screen, in the center, seems to be for on-the-fly quick automix, and it doesn't seem to care about entry/exit points, from what I can tell.

The far less obvious button that you should use...LOL... is in the Playlist Window. Load your playlist window on the right of the browser with the songs you want, in the order you want. Don't worry about loading them in the decks, the button I will have you push will take care of that for you.

Okay, in that same "Playlist" window, on the right of the music Browser (make sure you "lock" this window open, otherwise it get's annoying) has three buttons with little icons.

The button below the Arrow Button, and above the Three Dots button, is the REAL AUTOMIX button. It's suppose to look like a "Magic Wand" icon on the button, but it kind of looks like a microphone too...LOL. Click that to start your playlist on automix. Click it again to turn it off. THIS IS THE BUTTON YOU WANT, NOT THE BIG AUTOMIX BUTTON ON THE TOP OF THE SCREEN.... hehe...

Give this a try, let me know :)

Posté Thu 29 Mar 07 @ 7:43 pm

Thanx for the very good answers Sleeperwalken! good one

Posté Thu 29 Mar 07 @ 8:33 pm
Thanks. I look forward to the release of the Numark controller, so I can make my purchase. I'm getting tired of explaining my "no license user" status...LOL.

As a suggestion, if you might make a suggestion to the other "higher ups", they might consider changing the text on that big Automix button to something like "Quickmix", so that people do not get it confused with the playlist automix that uses the entry/exit points. Also, maybe make a nice clearly marked button in the playlist area for the playlist Automix, rather than that little button in the jumble, that looks like a wand or a microphone. For those of us who have figured it out, it's not a big deal, but it might decrease the learning curve for people who want to use this feature.

Also, is there anywhere that a person might submit some suggested additions to the manual? I know that the dev team is probably spending most their time on coding, and not so much on the manual, and that's okay, but there are a few of us I am sure, including me, that would be willing to submit some text in a format for possible review, and perhaps good enough for cut and paste right into the manual, for better descriptions on how to use a lot of the features only lightly touched on, or not even mentioned.

I've discovered a boat load of features and possibilities in this program that are not covered in the manual, and it would save a lot of time for newbies to have this information, rather than have to discover it by accident. This is not a dig on the current manual, I understand there is always tons and tons of work to do, and only so much time, and I appreciate where they are spending their time...hehe. :)

Posté Thu 29 Mar 07 @ 8:44 pm
sleeperawaken wrote :
Thanks. I look forward to the release of the Numark controller, so I can make my purchase. I'm getting tired of explaining my "no license user" status...LOL.

No worries;) everybody is welcome here..

Agree with your feature suggestions ..
The browser is up for update, so lots might change for next version

Your inputs about the manual can be sent here:
http://www.virtualdj.com/contact/

And will be apreciated :)

Posté Thu 29 Mar 07 @ 8:54 pm
Thanks for walking me through everything. Unfortunately, I still can not get my auto mix to hit the exit points. It starts at the cues I have set but blows right through the exit points.... Makes no sense to me.

I appreciate all your time.

CM

Posté Mon 02 Apr 07 @ 3:08 pm
Hi I played little bit with it and am going crazy just like you.
My observations:

All the time beatlock on, disengage on switch, Forcefade off.

If cut and tempo unchecked:
on transition happens following:
sync:fade entry+fade length=fade exit
crossfader fades all the time inbetween (i.e. according to fade length)

If cut unchecked and tempo checked:
sync:tempo entry=tempo exit
something like 20 sec crossfading time
fade length is ignored
fade points ignored

If cut checked and tempo unchecked:
sync:cut entry=cut exit
very short crossfading time
fade length is ignored
fade points ignored

If cut and tempo checked:
sync:tempo entry=tempo exit
something like 20 sec crossfading time
fade length is ignored
fade points ignored
cut points ignored

Conclusion:
out of these three modes always the most bottom checked one is used.
only points of the chosen mode are used
only mix fade uses the fade length parameter
only mix tempo and mix cut are correctly synced
=>for automix is impossible to sync the tracks according the beatgrid and crossfade according to fadelength parameter at once.

Posté Sun 29 Apr 07 @ 11:12 am
BTW: IMHO this behavior is problem and I think it should be changed...

Posté Sun 29 Apr 07 @ 11:44 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)