Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet school campus

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
thoughts go out to anyone who has friends or family at the campus...Tayla

Posté Mon 16 Apr 07 @ 8:06 pm
Yes, it's far from here, but it's terrible.

What's going on with this world?

Posté Mon 16 Apr 07 @ 8:35 pm
totally agree van erum tragic and very sad news to all families and friends caught up in another sad episode of killing on another american campus, i do not understand why a country has such a gun culture and is such a polictical minefield of not banning guns to members of the general population, it is one of thier amendments to thier constitution that says all members of the public have rights to bear arms, that may have been the correct stance to take in the 1600 and 1700s when fighting against the oppressor we the english but that has now gone into the history books as they say, we in the uk have now got a knife culture and to a lesser extent but becoming more prevailant a gun culture growing in society which if the goverment does not act upon will become a serious threat on a pro rata scale as what is going on in america.

my own personnel view is if anyone is stopped or caught with an offensive weapon of any description they should serve no less than five years in prison, if they use that weapon in threatining behaviour a minimum of eight years and if that weapon is used and inflicts bodily harm to another person a minimum of ten years of incarsaration, what that message should spell out is carry a weapon and you will have a very high price to pay against your liberty that is the only way i feel we can get this cancer away from decent law abiding citizens of our respective countries, otherwise we all may have to suffer the needless loss of a loved one in the violence of sick individuals or groups.

once again to anyone affected by todays events my thoughts are with you...Tayla

Posté Tue 17 Apr 07 @ 1:51 am
r311Home userMember since 2006
well, it's definitely tragic. the other view is, outlaw guns, and only criminals have them, as you see today even, only the criminal had one.... if conceal and carry was permitted for the professors, for example, then i bet there wouldnt be as many victims. the guy who went crazy probably would have been shot himself, before he commited suicide after causing it all.... (i assume he commited suicide, i havent heard yet) i am for the right to bear arms. if i'm being car jacked, and the criminal has a weapon, i deserve a legal way to protect myself from that sitation without being shot point blank because guns are outlawed. criminals will always have them, and that cant be changed. fantasy world, yeah, there's no guns, but it doesnt function that way in the real world. just today in my city, a guy was stealing a car out in front of a mans home, the owner shot the criminal in the leg with a weapon he legally owned.... come to find out, guess what, the criminal had a gun tried to use it on the guy, so the owner is supposed to do what? stand there and let himself be shot because he abides by the no weapons theory? it's not the legal owners of guns causing trouble, it's the criminals who have them placed in their hands. but yeah, i'm sure not everyone would agree with my side, and plus there's always nutballs regardless. i do see both sides. yes of course it's a better world with no guns at all, but things just dont work like that. anyway, it was the a**hole guy who went nuts, not the gun.... if there's no guns, things still happen when a psycho decides to turn psycho, they find means to do it (iraq car bombings for example).... look at most of our serial killers here, i can only think of one that used a gun as their weapon of choice. that's pretty rare. none of those people deserved to be shot, you're right, i agree 100%.... perfect world, no guns.... too bad the world isnt perfect though, never will be.

Posté Tue 17 Apr 07 @ 2:59 am
it is incredible and I can't put into word my feeling.

Hopefully we haven't knwon yet that kind of tragic accident in Europe (I think) :s

Posté Tue 17 Apr 07 @ 8:19 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Depends on whether you class Russia as Europe.

Posté Tue 17 Apr 07 @ 9:42 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
few years back a madman turned a submachine gun on a school in scotland :(

Posté Tue 17 Apr 07 @ 10:48 pm
We're still trying to get our heads around it here. My brother lost a couple of his friends in the mess & he's a complete wreck. Not really a whole lot I can say, this thing is just horrible. My prayers are with the victims and their families & friends.

Posté Tue 17 Apr 07 @ 11:12 pm
NebulaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I'm really fortunate not to have any connections to anything like this, but it still saddens me to hear about them. I can't possibly begin to realise the pain of people connected.

Signing onto msn today I came across this headline:

Guns: An American Plague, Why the US continues to ignore it's own history

http://news.uk.msn.com/virginia_campus_shootings_history_ignored.aspx

The link is to the latest news here in the UK, btw. Tayla's second post prompted me to mention the headline.

The Scottish massacre mentioned by Skyfxl was in Dunblane in 1996 where 16 children and one adult were killed (including the killer). It is to date the deadliest attack on children in the history of the UK

My thoughts go out to all caught up in the latest affair, as well as previous ones.

Posté Tue 17 Apr 07 @ 11:25 pm
You know that it is very tragic when some disturbed person can have the audacity to walk into a classroom, workplace, shopping mall or something like that and take it upon themselves to not only end thier life, but take as many as they can with them. Personally I feel that if your life is that bad and you want to die, then go somewhere secluded, take a F'ing gun and blow your head off. Why kill so many innocent people if your life is fouled up! It's a shame because I seen news reports that were trying to blame the rampage on bullying or exclusion from a group or something. That's just bull***t! This damn world is just too sensitive to either comments or actions. You know if you don't like something that some one else says than get over it! If exclusion from kickball makes you mad, then get over it! If your hell hole of a life is too much, then kill your damn self but leave the innocent folks out of it.

I don't know but when I was young the saying was "sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me."
Now we teach our wussy society that "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will scar me and leave me emotionally unstable for the rest of my life resulting in a bloody rampage to kill as many as I possibly can because I don't have the balls to confront that which bothers me!"

I am done!!!!

My hearts go out to all those that have been hurt by this coward ass****!

MS

Also I hope that no one is offended but this cannot be accepted in any part of the world...and if you were offended please get over it and don't go on a shooting rampage...:(

Posté Wed 18 Apr 07 @ 1:56 am
I agree we shouldn't use excuses for people who do these things, however I feel I should offer that we really need more sensativity and not less. These things you mentioned are genuine problems in society, the old "sticks and stones" saying was a double negative because words really do hurt people, everyone no matter who denies it to themselves and their peers. I've grown up seeing alot of misunderstood youth lashing out in alot of differant ways, and while we can't use their tramatic experiances as an excuse for their actions, we can and should examine these things to both understand better and to try & reach out better to the troubled youth. I've got alot of experiance with mental illness, and those like myself suffer discrimination most everywhere we go, for things we have no control over. So if we can instead use these things as a learning tool to better reach those who need the guidance, our home would be a much better place. The worlds gone crazy these days, and here in USA our failing mental health system (in practice not profit) is a big contribution on our part I think. Ok, I'll stop there, this is really a debate for another time, too soon right now;^]

Posté Wed 18 Apr 07 @ 2:26 am
Nebula

maybe in time when the heartache is not so much on the surface american parents and young adults alike can look to their government and say "enough is enough no more"...Tayla

Posté Wed 18 Apr 07 @ 8:15 pm
NebulaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
One can only hope. The trouble is is that it is an American constitutional right. Constitutions are unbelievably hard to change (I study law here in Wales) so speaking to the government is only the first of many steps, and it would also take a huge amount of time to implement. The quickest way would be if everyone used their morals to not use firearms, but realistically it's not going to happen.

Posté Mon 23 Apr 07 @ 8:39 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)