Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Amp – Speaker Question --- ADVISE NEEDED - Page: 3

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

ConawayPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I recommend the Yorkville Elite E15 speakers. I own 4 of the Yorkville Elite EX401 speakers and love them, (these are the older version of the E15’s). Check out the specs of these at Yorkville.com (Frequency Response (Hz +/- 3db) 55 – 26K).
I started out with 2 of these and recently bought 2 more on ebay for $500. for the pair.
If you got the time wait till you see a good deal on ebay.
You can get these new for $600. each at MusiciansBuy.com. I realize that they cost over $1000. new for two, but the bottom end of these speakers is incredible.
They come with a 2 year even if you break it warrantee.
I hope this is helpful.

Posté Mon 30 Apr 07 @ 7:16 am
"I started out with 2 of these and recently bought 2 more on ebay for $500. for the pair.
If you got the time wait till you see a good deal on ebay. "

Dam .. and the speakers worked well off of eBay ? .. I would be worried they got beat before they were sold.

I like the Yorkville E15 Speaker .... thanks for bringing them to my attention.

I also like the Turbosound TXD-151 ...

I really had no idea how hard of a decision this would be .... now I’m looking at dual 15" full range speakers ... even measured the back seat of my car to see what would fit.

Anyway .. thanks everyone for your recommendations .. if you have more feel free to post em :)

Posté Mon 30 Apr 07 @ 10:49 pm
-Basically you want them to sound great, but light wieght :-)

Posté Mon 30 Apr 07 @ 11:43 pm
ConawayPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I've had really good luck with ebay. In the case of the EX401 speakers the description clearly said used but not abused. Their was also photos of the speakers and they didn't have a scratch. I recently bought a Yorkville 4x4 lightweight amp for $590.:
Coninuous Average Power @ 8 Ohms BCD (Watts) 750(x2)

Coninuous Average Power @ 4 Ohms BCD (Watts) 1200(x2)

Anyway the guy bought the amps only 6 months ago and has a smaller studio now so he had to downsize.

Tips for ebay:
1. Look at the items the seller has sold in the past and look at the buyers comments.
2. Look at the other items the seller has for sale. (sometimes for example the seller may have a blown speakers for sale, not a good sign).
2. Check out the sellers history and feedback (A seller with no history is risky, a seller with negative feedback is very risky).
3.Check out if he will ship the item and the cost of shipping These speakers are not to heavy to ship FedEx, often the seller will want local pickup for heavy item like these, if he is not local you can contact him and see if you can get him to ship it. My speakers were shipped in big carboard boxes, (actually two taped togather), and they were filled with peanuts.
4. Use aution sniper, (autionsniper.com), bidding early will only drive up the price.
5. Be sure that the description clearly states that the item is in exellent conditoion.
6.Contact the selller and ask questions if you are unsure about anything.
7. Be patient, there are lots of bad deals on ebay, many items are overpriced. You should be able to find a good deal on these speakers in under 6 months.

Anyway I hope this is helpfull. I have my wishlist of stuff and I check ebay everyday. When I find a good deal I bid, sometimes I win sometimes I don't:)

Posté Wed 02 May 07 @ 7:28 am
After talking it over with my buddy who has a woodworking shop ... I think I’m going to build my speakers.

I’m going to start with the Omni 12 Fullrange (it states two cabs for 200 people)... this will replace the speakers I am using now .. and work for my small rig that fits in my car...
http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/Omni12.html

I know most DJs are against limiting your sound so it can fit in a car .. but for 99% of my gigs .. that’s all I need…. I set up and break down in less than 10min.

Then ... I’m going to start building my big rig .. DR250 & Tuba 24.... I have not needed of a rig this loud yet ... but I still want one :)
http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/DR250.html
http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/T24.html

Now .. if I screw the speaker build up real bad .. I plan on getting the Yorkville E15 or the Turbosound TXD-151

Posté Wed 02 May 07 @ 3:41 pm
I think your going in the wrong direction (thats coming from a speaker builder) The time you will put into this project without the knowledge will not be worth it for you. Yes your buddy can build them but its much deeper than that. If anything use the same cabs you have now & just change out the drivers.

call partsexpress.com, they have good tech support. tell them u want to upgrade your exsisting cab.

Posté Wed 02 May 07 @ 5:37 pm
Well … I thank you for your honesty … But I already ordered the plans …. So I hope I have more success than you think I will have…. I kind of have an ace in the whole though … with my buddy … he’s real nerdy when it comes to things like this.

I also do not want to upgrade the cabs I have now … I like having back up speakers … and loaners sitting around.

Now ..after one month of trying to build these … if I still don’t have them up and running ill purchase either the Yorkville E15 or the Turbosound TXD-151 … and can have them shipped in one business day…. Let’s hope it doesn’t come down to that.

I also have not forgot about the Dominator 720 Limiter .. and do plan on picking one up for my amp rack .. .so you will be hearing from me in a month or three .. asking for help setting it up 

Posté Wed 02 May 07 @ 7:23 pm
just find an old post & pm me. I'll be around.

good luck.

Posté Wed 02 May 07 @ 7:25 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
www.prosoundweb.com and go to the forums, great advice from people that know what they are talking about. lots of people asking simmilar questions to here and getting very informative answers. alot of self-builders there too to give you the pros and cons of building yourself.

just to let everyone know, when you bridge an amp all you are realy doing is doubling the impedance of the load placed on the amp, running 4ohm bridged is as taxing for the amp as running 2ohm stereo (and produces the same power) the only real reason to run 2 cabs in series on a bridged amp is if you have 2 8ohm speakers.

in a small setup 8 ohm speakers are a waste of amp power, practicly the only reason for 8ohm cabs is for those that want to drive 4 or 6 speakers off a powerful amp.

crest make some good amps but running an amp bridged puts it under more strain than running stereo and no amp lasts forever.

Posté Wed 02 May 07 @ 9:54 pm
Tru running bridge is more strenuous on the amp..... but impossible to take 2 8ohm speakers to achieve your stereo 2 ohm load you speak of. & best believe running your amp as 2ohm stereo or 4ohm bridge is practically the same thing. but like I said before the most important thing is your level control period. I bet with a tight clean level without pushing to limits I could run that crest amp at 1ohm stereo. What some people aren't understanding is that amp is made to do 4 ohm bridge. Those aren't specs I made up...i just ctrl c them. I wouldn't recommend someone to run an amp @ a load that the amp couldn't do that didn't have much knowledge in the first place on how to do so.

I have alot of hands on exp with this type of thing. Its not difficult its just ohms law : ) Google & learn.

@ Xeo..I think u just missed typed but I'll correct:

"the only real reason to run 2 cabs in series on a bridged amp is if you have 2 8ohm speakers"
if u run 2 8ohm cabs to a bridged amp your ending ohm load @ the amp will be 16ohms not 4. Just incase you've been misinformed in past.

prosound web is a great forum. If anyone has spare time check out the labhorn project. I built a pair of those things a year & a half ago. Talk about some LOUD SUBS!

Posté Thu 03 May 07 @ 1:39 am

Posté Thu 03 May 07 @ 1:50 am
PUBLIC APOLOGY: "the only real reason to run 2 cabs in series on a bridged amp is if you have 2 8ohm speakers"
should instad read "the only real reason to run 2 cabs in parallele on a bridged amp is if you have 2 8ohm speakers"

according to Ford, my Focus will do 127mph, says it in the manaual you see. its fun to drive at 127mph but its not going to do my car any good hooning it about all night. it may last 1 night, it may last 2, but its not gonna be doing it any favours.

labs are way heavy! on both back and bass! had the privelage of being destroyed by some of the best lab systems around (and then having to get em back in the lorry).........then again labs are a very tricky build so dont let it taint your view on things. our rig had 8 unloaded labs for nearly a year waiting for those Lab12s to come accross the pond. quite a lot of hassle to get hold of them in the UK.

http://www.squatjuice.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22019&start=0
mmmmmmmm :)

lab grupens, powersofts, crowns, these kind of amps eat 2 ohms for breakfast but the point is theyd be happier eating 4 ohms. you get me?

#lifespan
#distortion
#temperature
#sound quality
all of these are better running at 4 ohms

add to this the fact that when you are running each ch separately you can adjust them independantly of each other. when your bridging and something goes wrong, just big ol silence. you are more likely to blow two drivers at once if one goes.

even better than this is 8ohms but this is a waste of amp power for very little gain.

its like the Focus again, although it says 127 in the manual thats not what the designers designed it around, they designed it around a medium speed like an American 55

Posté Thu 03 May 07 @ 2:15 am
wow...u still have those cabs? I'll help u get labs if u need them. I have 2 brand new (gen1) in my closet.

I know what your saying about temp etc....but with level control behind you, that really won't be a problem. Especially when your putting what? almost 1000 watts to a 300 watt cab. You shouldn't come close to that threshold. If he doesn't they deserve to be blown. Its way more than it can handle. As it seems you should know more power the better etc. Realistically the amp is putting 1000 watts...but in reality its not. but either way its better to run using 1000 watts @ 2ohm stereo or 4ohm bridge compared to 8ohm stereo @ what 300 watts. Common sense mane.

Let me know if u need woofers...I can send them to u.

Posté Thu 03 May 07 @ 2:45 am
i could have got a good have got a good wedge selling them in the UK about 6 months ago but a certain major European distributor has just started stocking them! shove em on ebay, or put them on ebay UK to get a bit more cash. cabs like the punisher are taking over from labs over here now tho due to their small weight and cheeper build.

if your going to be driving 300w speakers and your not a pro the safest and best way is going to be the one that only gives out 300w. atleast then your not going to fry the coil or tear the spider of the little 300w cabs so easily.

good to chat to someone with a bit of selfbuild experience. shame they dont realy sell for as much 2nd hand!

Posté Fri 04 May 07 @ 6:29 pm
do u have a link to info on the punisher? I'd like to check it out.

Posté Fri 04 May 07 @ 6:41 pm
www.speakerplans.com

go to the forum and they have a dedicated section for it. higher spl, much smaller, much ligher, almost as low (35Hz@-3db vs 30Hz for the labs) and load them with the specd driver and they can take 1.5K all day long. also check out the x-tro, designed to sit on top and match perfectly, both in size and frequency etc

Posté Fri 04 May 07 @ 9:09 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)