Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet ADDING A MIXER

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

feezhanHome userMember since 2007
hi, im quite a old user of VDJ and just want to upgrade to connecting an external mixer, im fond of recording ma mixes, is it possible to record a mix when using a external mixer which is connected to the computer by a stereo splitter and phono cables. im planning to buy a behringer VMX if that helps. Thanks in advance

Posté Mon 21 May 07 @ 5:48 pm
I don't see why not. If you have a sound card with inputs. It might work better if you were recording onto a different hard drive. Also, I am not sure if recording is functional on the demo. What version are you using?

Posté Mon 21 May 07 @ 6:49 pm
thanks for the response, yeh well, i was using 3.4 but and probably going to get 4.1 but frankly i prefer 3.4 setup, but anyway im not really sure that the computer will be recording what the external mixer is doing on the program because would the VDJ program know what the external mixer is doing and would it record it? i also have an external hard drive. thanks in advance

Posté Mon 21 May 07 @ 8:31 pm
I have never used the recording function in VDJ, so can't comment on it. But, you can use another program to record onto another harddrive, while using an external mixer. It's the same as if you were recording onto a cd/dvd recorder. If you only have one hard drive, I don't know if you can play VDJ, and record onto the same hard drive, at the same time.

Posté Mon 21 May 07 @ 8:47 pm
okay, yeh thats pretty good, so if i was to record to hard drive, how would i connect the mixer back to the computer, or is it going to record from the phono cable connection. yeh i mite be finkin to buy a usb mixer but i wanted to connect up my decks but anyhu thanks for the help anyway.

Posté Mon 21 May 07 @ 9:47 pm
feezhan wrote :
okay, yeh thats pretty good, so if i was to record to hard drive, how would i connect the mixer back to the computer, or is it going to record from the phono cable connection. yeh i mite be finkin to buy a usb mixer but i wanted to connect up my decks but anyhu thanks for the help anyway.

The pro version does record onto the HD but to record using an external mixer, you would need to have a mixer with either a record / monitor output... remember, once the data leave the computer it converts to analog and quality goes down so if your music is around 256kbs then it will sound like is 128 or worse depending on your volume levels.

You can go from computer to mixer to computer again but you will end up straining the CPU that doing the work of playing and recording. By the time you buy the mixer and / or software for recording, you could have spent your money on PRO version and record live and burn right from the start.

REMEMBER > analog music will take up more space than digital plus sound horrable.

It's your money and time? You can do what you like... I say just buy PRO and be done with it...

Posté Mon 21 May 07 @ 10:05 pm
okay, thanks fatkatzdj, so you are suggesting i get the pro version, but i have to get a mixer with a monitor output, do most mixers have this? and is virtual DJ Pro 5.6 good? and should i just settle buying a USB mixer made for VDJ which hopefully records straight onto the HD using VDJ recording. does it? lol thanks for reply and advance.

Posté Mon 21 May 07 @ 10:20 pm
Please read his post again. Where can I get the 5.6 update?

Posté Mon 21 May 07 @ 10:59 pm
Cool 5.6 is out BEFORE 4.4?

I missed the update as well

Posté Mon 21 May 07 @ 11:16 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
haha.. lol...no offence:P

Btw yah most recording mixer do come with monitor output and guess it be best if u can get a controller as MK2 or total control too:)

keep spinning....

@fatkatzdj

Hmm I think analog sound is better as it is warmer n not horrible at all ..well individual thoughts come differently:)

Posté Tue 22 May 07 @ 10:38 am
thanks for all the info guys, really appreciate it, yeh i think im jus going to settle with a usb mixer so i can record straight wid VDJ without any external,

any suggestions? lol

Posté Wed 23 May 07 @ 12:09 am
I'm not discounting the quality of analog but it has been my experiance that recording to analog... you do loose a little of the "umf" in the transition..

BUT - I'm no sound engineer and you could have been setting up your rig properly... If i'm corrected, then I rather be corrected by someone who knows alot more than me. (respectfully)

>PEACE<

Posté Wed 23 May 07 @ 1:01 am
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
@fatkatzdj

No hard feeling pal... not trying to correct u in any way, just an individual thoughts. Im a sound enginneer, hence i prefer the quality of analog:)But man sorry if anyway bothering u..Thks n keep spinning>>

Posté Wed 23 May 07 @ 11:29 am
No problem! I'm hear to lear learn as much as the "nooby".... When I think I know every trick of the trade, then I'm in it for the wrong reason.

>peace out<

Posté Wed 23 May 07 @ 4:42 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)