Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Need Advice on DJ Client Base

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hey all, i'm Matt 19 year old student at American University in Washington D.C. I live in New Jersey and dj house parties for my friends and frat parties down at school with vdj, hercules dj console, and some true oldschool home stereo speakers that truly bump hard.

I am ready to take my game to the next level this summer and market to a different client base. I wanted to know from you the pro's whether there really is a market in DJ'ing small house parties, for like a kids birthday party and such. My plan of action would be to post flyers in neighboring towns and advertise online, marketing myself perticularly to parents who are looking for an inexpensive way to give there child a party thats not just a basement with chips and a boombox. I'm thinking the age range would be freshman-seniors in highschool. I'm definitely confident in my mixing game and have the music to keep a 4 hour party bumping, but I wanted to know if this market really is out there, and whether you all think I would be able to get atleast 2 parties a week.

Although I know I could charge a lot more for holding down that fire all night, i'm just interested in getting my name out and showing people what I can really do, so I was thinking of starting at $150 for 4 hours. Again I feel parents, and even kids wouldn't think twice about that price.

Also if you all have any recommendations as to what I should specify in my advertising, like "Continuous 4 Hour Mixed Music" and such like that, I haven't thought at all about it yet, but I'm sure you know what catches people's eye.

Thanks so much, much respect,
Matt

Posté Thu 28 Jun 07 @ 8:27 am
Hi Matt

I live in the UK, i don't know but maybe things are a little different here, with smaller propertys etc, but i've never heard of people paying for a DJ to work at a House party. Except for maybe the rich & famous in their big mansions!

I started off similar to you, Djing at House parties, my next step was too offer my services for free to Friends & Family for DJing at Bday parties, Wedding Anniversaries etc in hired out halls. Which of course they jumped at ! (they just had to shoulder the hire price of the equipment)

This then immediately led to guests at those occasions enquiring about my services, i was honest with them, told them i was just starting out and quoted them a ridicoulously cheap price, they accepted, i did the Gigs which led to more enquiries,!

Over time as my experience grew, i became more confident in what i was doing and so with my growing experience & confidence i started to increment what i was charging out to customers.

So in summary, my recomendation is get a reputation for yourself and build up experience & confidence before you really go looking to make any real money. Once you are in demand, then you can put up your prices !

Good luck with it all.

Posté Thu 28 Jun 07 @ 12:56 pm
Good advice! This Saturday and next Saturday, I'm doing a weddings that I got from a volunteered pool party and a neighborhood party from last year... both are paying 1200.00 and 1400.00

not bad of a return -

Posté Thu 28 Jun 07 @ 5:52 pm
Thank you so much for the fast response, that really is great advice. The only thing is I really only play hip hop and the billboard dance tracks, is that enough to play bar/bat mitzvahs and other such parties? I would do those kinds of parties for even $200, I just feel like my style and music choice isn't what people want to hear at weddings and such. I truly only see myself in a house watching drunk teens grind up on eachother. Let me know if i'm just doubting myself here..

Posté Fri 29 Jun 07 @ 3:25 am
If you want to promote yourself, make sure you make alot of business cards with all the genres that you play. The more the selection, the more chances of getting more gigs. Buy good equipment, not cheap Gemini or gemsound etc. Also practice alot. Listen to other dj and see how they play and compare to the way you play. Ive been DJ for 20 years now and all my gigs are from word of mouth. I still give out busniess cards to people who havent seen me play. When you play at a party, make sure you give it 110 percent. You never know who is out there listening to you. I live in NY and i can help you out if you want. Most of my freinds are Djs are we are constantly getting gigs from private events and clubs. Your clientell will be based on how you play. If you play well, people will remember you, If you play wack, No phone calls.

Posté Fri 29 Jun 07 @ 3:59 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)