Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Auto Mix glitch ... - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

skell11PRO InfinityMember since 2006
OK, I have spent countless hours combing the forums and I have tried every hodge podge fix that everyone has suggested but I still have the same skipping and dumping problems as before just not as much. I am a one man band and have to work gigs alone and auto mix is a neat concept for me. I have even taken the time to set entry and exit points on about 4000 songs in my data base. In working with every song I have discovered that the skipping problem in auto mix seems to stem from the automatic loading process in the program. Example, when the song tries to load too quickly (this happens on random songs???) it confuses the program and it dumps the song and moves on to the next cued song causing the skip. Hey, you guys that have created this program may think that this is impossible BUT it is as good an answer that I have seen in the forum. Plus I have seen it with my own eyes ... My next question for you gurus is ... HOW do I slow the load time down in the program to try to head off the skipping in the load process? PLEASE dont give me anymore direct x update links or thoughts on how auto mix is lame, all I need is REAL programing advice as it seems nobody wants to tackle this glitch and crate a patch anytime soon.

Thanks,

Scott

Posté Fri 06 Jul 07 @ 6:46 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posté Fri 06 Jul 07 @ 8:21 pm
I loaded all the direct x stuff as ordered and rebooted between. What audio drivers are you talking about so I can follow your directions to the fullest.

Thanks,

Scott

Posté Sat 07 Jul 07 @ 2:50 am
cstoll,

Just tried all the new and improved direct x downloads AFTER another restart ... guess what, still skips. That is two hours of my life wasted on worthless downloads I will never get back. What next, do I have to stand on one foot while wearing a yellow shirt on Friday the 13th, then it will work. As I said before the direct x updates are not the fix. Anyone else have a fix for me to try ...

Next problem will be for you to try to fix is how come when you set entry and exit points (especially exit) that they do not save for next time you need them?

Neat program guys, but worthless if you cant make it do what you need it to do ...

Posté Sat 07 Jul 07 @ 3:18 am
ReTangoPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I have to agree with skell, I can't believe VDJ has this problem... I never used automix in v3 until yesterday night, and it RUINED my night... I was DJing at a friends wedding, and had planned for 3 hours of automix while having dinner... then started noting this problem.. the song is playing and it suddenly jumps to the middle of the song. randomly. I could not believe it. This program does so many amazing things, and it can´t do a simple playlist right? unbelievable... Needless to say, I stressed out (it's so awful to feel unsure about the program, knowing that it may jump at any time) and had to stay the whole wedding playing music, could not enjoy the wedding a second... PLEASEEEE dev team, this should be such an easy one... how is it possible your program ships with such a BASIC problem? (even winamp can do playlists!) please find a solution soon... thanks, ReTango

Posté Mon 09 Jul 07 @ 7:41 am
Boy do I feel so sorry for you. The software is never at fault. If the software does not work, Professional DJs do not subject their clients to it. The same way you would not use a defective CD player. Unless you are telling me you didn't know the auto-mix had problems. That is an unacceptable excuse, because Professional DJs, check their software and equipmentBEFORE their gigs. If something goes wrong, which happens to the best of us, Professional DJs have backups. The only thing the client wants to hear from the DJ is, "I'm sorry, I am having a little difficulty, but it will be rectified in less then 10 min". Then again, maybe you are not a Professional DJ, since your night was "RUINED" because your 3 hr auto mix didn't work. Did you come there as a guest or the DJ, because you can't be both. I'm not saying that the auto-mix works the way it should. What I am saying is, "IF A PART OF THE SOFTWARE DOES NOT WORK THE WAY IT SHOULD, DON'T USE IT ON YOUR CLIENTS". So, until this gets fixed to your liking, don't use it. If it's just too much work for you to actually play music for 3 to 5 hours, make a CD or DVD with all the music you were gonna use in the auto-mix. This way you can sit down, and not stress out.

Posté Mon 09 Jul 07 @ 9:21 am
bogartPRO InfinityMember since 2004
For the most part I have to agree with A Man And His Music.
However for me I am still using 3.4 and the auto mix function works.
I usually only use it through the dinner part of the evening, which does not equate to 3 hours.
Once again, the team is aware of this and is working on it. I know it has been mentioned prior
to this post.

Posté Mon 09 Jul 07 @ 6:39 pm
A Man and His Music
Thanks for answering, but I never said I was a professional DJ, I am just an amateur (in fact, I am an amateur DJ only thanks to this great software... knowing that all i need is a laptop, a controller, and an amplifier encouraged me to DJ). And as far as I know, in the home page of VirtualDJ, it is promoted for begginner, and occasional DJs also, so please let me voice my amateur frustrations, and don't "blame" me for not being professional. Of course I could have a CD or DVD with the music, but I would have had to spend 3 hours before the wedding mixing it, vs 20 mins selecting songs... and the main reason I use VDJ is because it is supposed to make life easier for amateurs like me.

It was a small and intimate wedding, my friend asked me to be in charge of the music, and I planned to have 3 hours auto-mix (chill-out music) so I could enjoy while dining, and 2 hours playing "live" (dance)... in the end the music went perfect, but my night was ruined since i could not be a second away from the pc.

And even while I would share you viewpoint were I a professional DJ, as an amateur I expect the software to work as it is promoted and sold, out-of-the-box, requiring the least possible time & effort from me. And mainly in such a basic feature of the program, which worked smoothly in v3 (It is not a new feature, and I never thought it could work worst than in v3.4 when I updated to v4.3). Most of the times VDJ works perfectly for me, so I am very happy with it and recommend it to everyone. However, last Saturday it didn't work, and in my view, the software is at fault. I am only asking dev team to fix a bug, and showing the frustration this bug caused in me. And that's how software programs usually improve... frustrated clients share their problems so dev team can fix them. So again, dev team, please fix this, thanks, ReTango

Posté Mon 09 Jul 07 @ 7:41 pm
I don't know you, so don't take it personal, because it was not meant to be. I come here to learn and teach, in that order. The post was not just for you, but any one else having the same or similar issues. If you read my post again, you will see it is not just about the "auto-mix function. I could tell you were not a Professional DJ, from your post, that's why I may reference to it. So as a amateur DJ, what did you learn from your experience? What did you learn from my response to your post?

Posté Mon 09 Jul 07 @ 8:59 pm
I utilize VDJ for weddings every weekend and never once had this issue. I am using V 4.2. Is everyone having this issue with V 4.x? Maybe I just never noticed it. I too set up a playlist and let it roll during cocktail and dinner time. I know it is a PITA but might I suggest using Windows media until you are ready to mix, just to get you though dinner or cocktail hour? I always have CD's as a backup tough. I have one cued up at all times just in case.

Posté Mon 09 Jul 07 @ 10:18 pm
A Man and His Music: Thanks again for your response, I appreciate your posts, I learned a lot from them in other threads...they even encouraged me to buy VDJ when I was evaluating it.. In this particular problem, the only thing I learned is to trust less VDJ, which I think is not so good for the company, much less for me. Up to know it was always rock solid, I never had a single problem... this is not a *terrible* problem, but a bug that affects a live performance... Trust me in my own professional field I completely agree with you (I manage the largest hotel chain in Argentina), I know about back-ups, contingency plans, etc.. and take full responsibility if there is any problem with my clients (guests)... but DJing is a hobby for me, and I just want to have fun while doing it, and not worry about the software I am using.. thanks anyway and hope the bug is fixed soon, Retango

VantineDj.. The bug is strange: in automix one song ends, say deck A. VDJ does the transition perfect to Deck B, and song in B starts playing. Then VDJ loads the next track on Deck A. When it finishes loading deck A, the song that is playing in deck B jumps 1 to 3 mins ahead.. weird! Its not in every song, its random. I can only say I have the problem with 4.3, and did not have it with 3.4. Don't know about 4.2. I use Windows XP, with a Hercules MK2 on an Acer Travelmate 8100. I guess next time I'll use Winamp or Windows Media for playlists, but I always think it less stable to have 2 programs running on the same audio card, and the live transition from one program to the other is more diffcult... and I usually also have a CD, but this time the groom asked me for partcular music which I had no pre-recorded... Thanks, Retango

Posté Mon 09 Jul 07 @ 11:38 pm
I'll make sure not to upgrade

Posté Tue 10 Jul 07 @ 12:56 am
Retango:

I have experienced exactly the same problem, I placed a post about a month ago about this bug, and never got one answer from anybody, I don't intend to have VDJ do my job as a Mobile DJ or a Club DJ for that matter, but what you have experienced in this wedding, I have also experienced in the Club, and surelly it is embarrasting.

Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure VDJ Dev. Team are working in something as they always have with very succesfull acomplishments. The only thing I can tell you is, be patience my friend, I haven't seen a single bug in VDJ Dev team haven't found the fix to it.

I know it can be very frustating sometimes, but everytime VDJ Team comes with a solution to a problem regarding VDJ software, they have hit the nail right between the eyes.

I use the automix feature, I ment used.....jejejeje...........at the beggining of the night in the club, wating for the place to get a bit crowded, that is about 1 hour at the most. Now a wise advise, on weddings, sometimes we are both, the DJ and a Guest, but when it comes to music and djing, don't pay to much attention to the guest part, I have been in weddings and parties with my wife all dressed up and me behind the computer, I do take DJing very seriously, not that you don't, but if you really want people to talk about you and the way you dj the party then you must take this sacrifice.

Usually when it comes to parties, it could be the best food, the best drinks, and the best hall but if the music sucks, the party sucks, the only thing people are going to talk about after that party is how much fun they had, and that's where you come, everything can suck, but if the music is good, they will have a blast, and they will say, the food was ok, the drinks where ok, but the music was awesome, very good dj they have.........that means you.............I found a very interesting article on the STANTON webpage, my advise to you is read it, you will find a lot of interesting facts I bet you didn't know, at least, that was my case, and that help me alot understanding a bit more about party djing.

http://www.stantondj.com/v2/mobile_al3_08_05.asp

Hope this helps, and I'm pretty sure DEV Team will come with a wise solution to this problem.

Peace !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posté Tue 10 Jul 07 @ 6:06 am
You know I am really sorry for those of you that will not take the time to truly research and follow the recommendations here in the forums. I posted above one way of solving the problem. By the way I know it works.. I had the issue and resolved it. ... I am starting to jump on a soapbox and I will stop. This issue is solvable and that is that...

Posté Tue 10 Jul 07 @ 6:21 am
skell11 wrote :
What audio drivers are you talking about so I can follow your directions to the fullest. Thanks, Scott

The drivers for your soundcard.

Posté Tue 10 Jul 07 @ 6:22 am
cstoll,

drivers are up to date, still skips, any other suggestions?

Also, I cannot tell you how condescending most of the folks sound when giving advice. Who cares if someone is a pro or an amateur, the point of this forum is to share info on a program that we have all chosen to use. Now, in my case I have been making a buck or two off of spinning tunes since the mid 80's and done pretty well. I could just continue to spin cd's but I like to stay current in technology and this was the next step. I used a lot of programs and found that I liked this one the best overall BUT small glitches in the program make it a booger to work with at times. I still do the 98% of the mixing myself but it sure would be neat to be able to NOT be behind the rig when working with the crowd or be able to take a bio break without having to worry about the program fowling up and that is the only point I was trying to make. Like I said earlier I just want feedback with a solution that actually works. I have found many different "suggestions" from folks that have used the program longer than I but everyone of them seems to be a different fix. It only seems logical that when you fix a problem there is one clear cut fix and not a bunch of ... here try this, solutions as I have seen in this forum. Since I have had this problem for a while and the more I work with the program it seems to be in the auto load process of the auto mix ... any suggestions on this in the set up menu ...

Thanks,

Scott

Posté Tue 10 Jul 07 @ 10:03 pm
Scott,

Sorry if you took any of my help in a condescending way.

My real amazement is as you mention though the 'here try this' -- well we are talking computers and I have been in that business as long as I have been a DJ. There is no straight forward 'here is the fix' answer. The computer environment for one has to many variables that influence the way an application runs. For example - I have a VDJ installation that has been running since version 2.6 it's been through the update installs all the way to 4.3r12 - now I have had some of the problems mentioned here and everyone resolved with my solutions posted. BUT, does that make my solution the correct one for everyone? Unfortunately NO.

Also, there are two other issues that most here are not will to except -
1. I use my 'everyday, internet surfing, emailing' computer for DJing - why is it not working? Everything else run just fine! - Well in my opinion VDJ is like a Commercial version of CAD - if you inject it with the BS outside influences of email, the web and others - the environment is going to fall apart and things will not work.

2. Why is the final answer always 'Format and do a fresh install' -- well for the same reasons already stated in item 1. It's just like when someone is asked "Where did you find your missing keys?" the answer - "The last place I looked!" - same here the last and final solution to 99% of unsolvable computer issues is to start with a fresh 'virgin' environment to see if the problem still exists. Sometimes it is just that way.

Again sorry if you took any of my comments the wrong way and unfortunately my next suggestion to fixing your solution is #2. And once you get Windows re-installed - load the DirectX as I recommended before - then install VDJ.

cstoll

Posté Wed 11 Jul 07 @ 8:28 pm
Me, I really don't care if I'm condescending or not. And I say that with a smile on my face. If I throw you a life line and yell "Grab the f$%^ing rope", are you gonna be mad, because I used a curse word? Don't be silly. If we pay more attention to the message, then the way the message is delivered, we will learn more. So let me see if I can explain this a little clearer. My response has nothing to do whether you are a pro or not. It has to do with taking responsibility for your own actions. OK, kiddies gather round, and pay attention. I am not a professional plumber, but as a home owner, I do a lot of my own plumbing repairs. I do a very good job of sweating copper pipe, because I practiced a lot. I am still not a professional, and don't claim to be. If I burn down my house while sweating a pipe, whose fault is it? Is it the MAP gas cylinders fault for be being too hot? Maybe I can blame it on the flammable material that got in the way. No, the fault lies with me. Even as an amateur, I know that if I put a flame to flammable material, it will burn. "But I didn't know it was flammable", doesn't work either, because I should have known, if I am going to be using an open flame. The fact of the matter is, if a professional plumber burns down my house, it's his fault. So, what is my point? The software cannot "ruin" your evening, it has nothing to do with being a pro or not. It's common sense. I have a new laptop and sound card, but you will not see it in action, until I am sure it will do what I need it to do. "Before you use anything, you should know it's limitations". Well Rick, what happens if you blow a speaker or something else? Well, shit happens, but it is still my responsibility to have backup, and rectify the situation in a timely manner. The client does not want to hear about my problems. That is the lesson for today.

Here's a news flash. The auto mix function does not work the way it should. Here's an idea, don't use it until it is fixed. This company has provided fixes and upgrades on a very timely manner. You have a choice, wait for the fix or use something else. I like this software, but do not own any stock in the company. If something comes out tomorrow that works better for me, I will use it. I have only met a few members here, but respect everyone. There are some guys I like here that I have never met, but like the way they carry themselves. There are others that I can't stand, but still read their post, because I can still learn from them. The one thing I will not do is alter the way I speak.

Posté Wed 11 Jul 07 @ 10:13 pm
@cstoll

I just wanted to tell you I downloaded all the updates for DirectX, before I started to installed them, I uninstalled the Sound Blaster 24 Live Drivers and software, becuase I just got my Numark Dj I/O.

I installed the ASIO Drivers, ASIO Control Pannel, Configure VDJ, Latency, Performace, etc......and guess what????????........................now the Automix feature works flawlessly, incredibly good............so in conclusion............the problem was Sond Card Drivers...................I'm still gooing to update my DirectX Drivers, cause it took me a long time to download them, specialy the Oct 2006 update ( 504 MB ).....jejejejeje.............

Just wanted to say thanks for your advise, I read all your posts about this issue, it did help me alot understand few things about computers, at least, things I wasn't aware of them.

If you wanna check up my new modification to my setup, now that I have the Total Control and DJ I/O it's on my blog http://www.virtualdj.com/blog/MUSIKGUATE/

As always............VDJ Forum has paid off...............forget about the cost of the Software.........this forum is what you really paid for...............

Greatings from Guatemala, C.A.

Posté Thu 12 Jul 07 @ 4:25 pm
Glad to hear that things are working as designed. As said in my post - and you are a great example - that every environment is different. All I can do is offer what has worked for me.

As for all others - this is a good testament that VDJ does not have a bug or coding issue with regard to this problem!

The flaws in the AutoMix are environmental to what you have installed on the system.

Again - MUSIKGUATE - glad to see you got it working and in a easier solution than my recommended.

cstoll

Posté Thu 12 Jul 07 @ 5:34 pm
45%