Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet Perplexing behaviour

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Previous to fridays night and tonight I've had a bulletproof system

No errors
no faults.

Friday night the Comp just shut down - without warning - without crashguard., no bluescreen - Just turned off.

I have a Rackmounted case with 3 fans going in it. Four if you count the headsink fan.

Lot's of air flow.

It shut down twice with the same file - Funny thing was - I played that file first thing before tonights wedding - no trouble ; played fine and dandy.

I rebooted twice and played the rest of the night on Friday - after playing a couple of songs on cd.

Tonights Wedding.

When ever I analize files I get a time stamp - no tempo reading and when it gets played in a deck - It sounds like "brown" noise - like a blown speaker.

However - when I just load an unanalized file into a deck - analizes just fine - plays nice.
Note : - firday night was playing off the 2nd internall drive. Tonight was switching between my usb mobile music HD and internal Club music HD.

Any thoughts?

I use Vista.

Question #2

Where do I find the Database user file in Vista? - It's not with the program files - should I decide to re-install VDJ.

Also - does cstolls regcleaner work in Vista?

Posté Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 10:08 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
No my runVDJ DB utility is not supported in Vista - but this does not sound like a Database issue. Remember the DB just stores data about the files it doesn't control the quality or how they load into memory.

Do a search for VirtualDJ Database(login).xml -- replacing the login with what ever your Vista login name is.

Make sure you are able to search for hidden files -- when it finds the file - right click and chose Open Containing Folder (or something like that)

Now to your problem -- could be a MEMORY Module going bad and VDJ is hit those areas. As a result the Sound Drivers might have become corrupt? I would shoot at the memory modules first.

Ques? Any weird storms or power issues at or around the club lately? Could have taken a weird spike? Do you use a power back-up for you PC?

Posté Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 3:14 pm
I'm not convinced of a sound driver error - cause the sound kept playing fine and as clear as ever.

It only started sounding bad AFTER analizing a song and then loading it.

The memory module sounds like a good starting place.

But it'll have to wait untill my accounts receivables come in from this month's weddings.

They all have untill to-morrow to pay up.
One already has.

Posté Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 5:58 pm
You might try SWAPPING your memory (switch slots they go into that is) and see if that helps or makes things worse...

Then, if you can, try taking ONE out and testing... Then, if it's still messed up, try swapping the other one in (by itself) and test...

If you need to run in pairs then hopefully the swapping between slots will tell you something...

This is the cheap-man's way of doing a little bit of testing... Hope it helps...

Posté Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 12:46 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Also, take a ordinary printer paper and rub the contacts on modules to take off dirt caused by oxidation.
Use GoldMem to test your modules (one by one).

Posté Sat 04 Aug 07 @ 7:12 am
Found out what the problem was.

Power supply crapping out.

I'll pick another one up and throw it in the case - should be fine.

All connections were okay, no frays, memory seems okay as well, I took it all out and had the service department of the store I bought it at test it.

Unfortunatly - they are out of 1MB strips of 800mhz ram. so I'm still using 4 x 512GB strips of ram @800mhz

Thanks for all your suggestions.
Apreciate the help.

Posté Sun 05 Aug 07 @ 11:11 pm
Glad you've got it sorted, but how did you work that out? (Incase it happens to me!)

Posté Mon 06 Aug 07 @ 2:08 am
With an Amp probe (hall effect probe)

Had erratic surges in the amperage being drawn to the P/S and therefore being supplied out.

I suspect I hit a voltage spike somewhere along the line and it took out one of the diodes in the rectifier bridge

So - I was not using a surge protector - now I am - and am going to replace the P/S Tomorrow.

You don't need an Amp Probe, if you don;t have one You can use voltage drop testing, and some math.

Posté Mon 06 Aug 07 @ 4:24 am
I changed the power source today - and took the server case out of the rack and took the whole thing to the parts store. I'm getting the service department to look it over and test the ram again. also to let me know of anything I missed.

I'm an auto tech, far from a comp hardware tech.

Although I'm learning fast - I have no choice :P

Posté Tue 07 Aug 07 @ 2:26 am
Lol, I know that feeling. I'm learning a fair bit too (although I've just got a degree in electronic engineering , so you would have thought that I'd know already!)

Sometimes I wonder "what if I'd just spent all this time practising my DJing skills?"

Then I think, would I be playing videos-no, would I be able to have 4 cue points for each song-no, would I be able to beat match in 3 seconds (sometimes without my headphones on)- definately not!

So it's all good I guess!

Posté Tue 07 Aug 07 @ 4:02 am
Well My Amp Probe was correct.

I took the old Power supply apart and found some melted resin insulation on wires internally.

The fellas at the Computer Store service department said they updated my bios for me and increased my pagefile and had it running a ram test program yesterday and all day today - should be good to go.

Next time I buy a server case off eBay It's gonna just be the case - no P/S.

Posté Thu 09 Aug 07 @ 12:59 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)