Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Same club.. too long?

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

i have been djing at home for around 3-4 years, i got my first dj gig about 18months ago - playing every thursday/friday/saturday since then. on on average i play 6-8 hour sets.

do you think theres such a thing as being at one place too long? ive noticed crowd numbers are going down hill and i dont think its purely my fault - but i do feel like its partly my bad - maybe getting too predictable. i've learned soo much and have improved over the 18 months. but starting to lose confidence, even though i've improved technique and song choice etc.

ive been approached by a new club, yet to open, so maybe the change will bring my confidence back? i love my job - i cant believe this is what i get paid to do! but when the patrons arent comming back it hits the ego!

i would like to find out from other resident djs (or experienced djs) and how you combat that loss of confidence, performing weekend after weekend (maybe i should take a weekend off!). would like to hear your stories!

Posté Mon 06 Aug 07 @ 4:25 am
Keep things interesting within the Club boundries.

Try playing some older - less heard mixes, or one-hit wonders

Remember these songs were wildly popular for a reason

Posté Mon 06 Aug 07 @ 4:55 am
Boy, there are so many variables. I've been entertaining people and making a living at it for 30 years....as a musician, KJ and the last 5 years as a VJ/DJ/KJ. I've work clubs for as little as a 2 weeks and as long as 3.5 years. This month is my 3 year anniversary at the club I'm working at now. I still have a hard time dealing with slow nights even though I know it may be a slow time of the year or maybe the weather or fair or some event.
Sometimes losing a crowd may be related to competion from another club. Could be the help providing service at your club. You can bring the cattle to the barn, but if they can't drink or don't feel confortable, they won't stay. Could be all your fans are growing up and getting married or serious with someone who doesn't want to go out. Only thing you can do is the best you can and face your gig with enthusiasm...it's contagious. Having a good relationship with your employer can also be good. Maybe adding more video screens or bigger ones, maybe new lights or DMX if you don't have them.
I take a week off every year. The first year I took off, they got a DJ to sit in for me. Turns out, the crowd and the club owner had a greater appreciation for what I did. All I heard when I got back was how they missed me and how the DJ sucked. The last 2 years, they just had the open jukebox while I was gone...less complaints. :)

Sounds like the chance you have for a new gig might be good. But if you have a good relationship with your current bar owner, you might want to think a little more before you leap. Don't want to burn any bridges.

Good Luck

Posté Mon 06 Aug 07 @ 5:10 am
By the way I've been at my club for 5 years.

up and downs - they come and go - learn to roll with it

Posté Mon 06 Aug 07 @ 5:13 am
KregCZPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I've been a club DJ for around 24 years now
I have worked at several clubs where I have done Wed, Thus, Fri, & Sat.
2 places for 3 years,
1 for 5 years
Another for 6.
I then done a strip club Wed & Thurs for 6 years
and Fridays at a night club for about 5 years now.

The one thing I feel you need to do is make sure you don't play the music in the same order every night. I also play several different types of music: Hip Hop, House, Rock, Pop, 80s, Disco & others.
Mixing all that, gives me a large list of songs to choose from, so I try to make sure every night is different from the last but still give the people a show similar so the can know what to expect when they come.

I like to play a lot of 80s, Old school, Alternative, & Silly songs early in the night, music that people might not even dance to but love to listen to and songs that make them laugh; Like "Rhinestone Cowboy", "Build me up buttercup", "5 o'clock somewhere", "Candy girl".

Then when people are starting to get drunk I start to play 3 - 5 song sets of different genres. Maybe 3 Hair band rock songs, then 2 hip hop 2 reggaetone, then 4-5 pop dance songs taking the bpms up to a 4 song house set, than maybe 2 Spanish songs and so on...

It's not as easy to mix the songs when you do it this way but it keeps the people guessing what is he going to play next? and keeps them entertained. Also doing it this way you learn how to mix in different ways instead of just BPM matching.

The other thing you have to keep in mind about a night club's life tend to be 1 year, 5 years or 10 year and the very rear the never dyeing club; this type of club usually do a mixture of Cover band/Track acts/Classic rock bands/DJ.
Most people who go out to a club regularly tend to get board with it after 6 months to a year and then move on and maybe come back every once and a while come back.
This is why the management needs to find a way to keep the people from getting board and finding ways to attract new people coming in; something as simple as a good club name can attract people.

In Connecticut we had a club named "Boppers" that did great business. The owners came to Danbury and tried to open a club they called "Retro" that played the same format as Boppers and it flopped! They changed the name to "Boppers" and the club went about 8 years before the owners retired and sold the club off.

So it may not be you, it may be the club it's self or maybe your managers not doing the right kind of advertising.

Posté Mon 06 Aug 07 @ 5:56 am
9 years, same club. dont quite know how i've survived. might not have and just dont know it. some nights its just a job. some nights its freakin magical.

Posté Mon 06 Aug 07 @ 10:35 am
I would say it is time for a shut down of the club. Then they can spend a small portion of the profits of the last few years to re-invent and reopen under another name and them. This is a common thing to do when the powers that be see the numbers slowly slipping away. The key is to close, remodel, and reopen before the all out crash.

It is amazing what can be done in 30 days

Posté Mon 06 Aug 07 @ 1:57 pm
cheers for all the tips and stories. i really wish the club would close and revamp- they need to look at the whole layout of the place. but i dont think management think about it too much. because the place functions as a restaurant during the day the club is always 2nd on the list of priorities!

i cant wait for the new place to open - its going to be an awesome club and theres going to be awesome people - they will be giving patrons something that no other club in my town can offer. although i am grateful for the opportunity from my current employer but look forward to the challenges and opportunity to learn more about the business.

cheers guys, would still like to hear other peoples stories - experience is only earned from time

Posté Tue 07 Aug 07 @ 12:54 am
Be careull of the grass is greener thinking. Evaluate the possibility of the new club not being everything it's designed to be. Remember it looks great on blueprint but it also a management thing. Management can kill the atmosphere of the club. Can you play both clubs so you don't burn your bridges just yet? I have a club 2 miles down the street and the owner is a ex-dj from vegas. He has the mentality of being in vegas again. So all his plans are vegas style. I almost went with him this past year and but held out. Good thing because the original club hired me back and I'm smoking his club every weakend.

He has shut down for remodeling twice with a name change. And every time, I make it my goal to reinvent myself.

I used to take it personal when the crowd wasn't as big a night or two. Like this past wkend, Things got off to a slow start and when the dancing really kicked in. I was playing to an older crowd. One of the time I looked up and my whole dance floor was poppin with younger crowd. So I had to reformat my music format and man we had fun. I was playing songs that shouldn't even have been in my catalog of music.

Just go with it and check in with the management about once a month or so to make sure your on the same page as them.

Posté Tue 07 Aug 07 @ 7:10 pm

There is nothing more unfaithfull that CLUBBERS...

They go wherever its hip and cool, and what is the flavour of the season.

I bet there is a new club in town, or your club have been the same for too long.

Blame the management, clubs needs to change a bit every now and then to keep guests, as clubbers are always out for the latest hype, and move in crowds like sheep..

Try something new if it goes downhill.,...

Posté Tue 07 Aug 07 @ 7:30 pm
i can always count on Virtual DJ forums for awesome advice! cheers guys all the way from New Zealand!!

Posté Wed 08 Aug 07 @ 1:37 am
djnutzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I started out as a mobile dj. When I got a taste of club DJ'ing, I was hooked. I left my last residency after 2 1/2 years because I was tired of the rude hip-hop crowd. Now I'm doing private events again, and I'm doing bar shows. Let me tell you, travelling to small town bars, i'm making double and triple what I made in the club. I'm playing to a diverse crowd, not just hip hop. Most important,

I'M HAVING FUN!

We are in the entertainment business. If we have a bad night because it's slow, or the drunk bimbo wants "Party Like A Rockstar" for the 10th time, the crowd will sense that.

I have played to a crowd of over 1600, and it wasn't New Years Eve. I now play to crowds of 50-250 at small bars. Last Saturday I played a private event in a barn on a farm. Lots of can beer and 80's rock. But you know what? They all danced and sang for 4 hours straight. I only played 2 hip hop songs. I drank 3 free beers. I sang along with the crowd. When the lights came on, no bouncers were yelling "Time to go!! Bar's closed!!" There weren't any fights,

AND THEY WERE BEGGING FOR ONE MORE SONG. And I was happy to give them one more.

They all left sweaty and tired and with big smiles and great memories of that party in the barn on a farm in the middle of BFE Iowa.

As for me, I made 3 times my pay at the club. And for 2 hours less work. And I don't have to worry about what I'm going to do to spice up the club next weekend.

Just my 2 pennies worth...

Posté Wed 08 Aug 07 @ 5:35 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
dj-in-norway wrote :

There is nothing more unfaithfull that CLUBBERS...

They go wherever its hip and cool, and what is the flavour of the season.

I bet there is a new club in town, or your club have been the same for too long.

Blame the management, clubs needs to change a bit every now and then to keep guests, as clubbers are always out for the latest hype, and move in crowds like sheep..

Try something new if it goes downhill.,...

So well explained I cannot describe! ;)

Posté Wed 08 Aug 07 @ 11:23 am
Re-Invent yourself. I get the same feeling. Last year this time I spun at 3 different clubs in 4 nights. Now I do one spot. More $$, because they paid me more to leave the other spots, but I have to re-invent the music program to keep management happy. We as DJ's fall into habit of mixing the same songs together. We have 'X' amount of songs at 'X' bpm. Change styles a little bit. If you don't produce, buy some new mashups. Get some new remixes of older songs that you play everynight anyway. Work on big crowd pleasing songs where you can cut the fader and have the crowd sing than ----> blam with the music off change the tempo of the room. There are things you can do, the staff are usually the hardest critics when you have been somewhere for a while.

Last week, I switched up my set to include a baltimore club/electro 30-45 minute interval. The staff and the crowd went crazy.

Posté Wed 08 Aug 07 @ 4:12 pm
Also...There is nothing like crowd reaction to boost your confidence and show the staff that you still got it. If you'd like some tips, PM me. I'll give you some ideas for crowd pleasers.

Posté Wed 08 Aug 07 @ 4:15 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)