Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Notes From A Warm Island

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

GraomiPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I am a Scottish/Cypriot guy who while having visited Cyprus lots since 1982 and having done a few seasons here in the past has finally uprooted from Scotland and moved over earlier this year.

I gt a job DJ'ing in the tourist area of Protaras doing three nights a week 70's & 80s, 60's and motown and a catch all pop night but its dance music where my heart lies and being only 6 miles from Ayia Napa I thought well some good tech house and trance will go down a treat as the garage revolution here seems to have fizzled out, fater spending some time over Napa I came to a bit of a disturbing conclusion, a lot of the dance bars are either playing RnB or dancy pop, in fact I met one of the owners of a bar who told me that they were trying to play some 'serious' dance music but found that the only thing that got the crowds in was pop and sex!! so now they hold wet t-shirt comps and female wrestling in oil and the place is packed.

So I thought to myself, try the clubs. I went along to one that said they were playing house and found poppy dance and an MC who didnt6 shut up for the entire time I was in there.

Its not all doom and gloom though, just after I got here a new club opened called 'Play', big guest DJ's, quality house and a Psy Trance night. Glad someone has the balls to get something going. From talking to various people who work in Napa it seems there is a reasonable sized Swiss and Russian community who are looking for Techno and Trance and hopefully some more promoters will take up the mantle and make Ayia Napa a home of quality dance music where serious clubbers can have a wide choice of music to party to.

I know some of you may say 'get off your high horse and start your own night', but to be honest some of us can DJ (hopefully!!) and some can promote and I know that promoting is just not in me...I dont look the part for a start.

Anyway, I wasnt really looking for any answers but just wanted to get that off my
(hairy) chest. If anyone else has played Napa or got any thoughts on a town that needs just a little tender loving care or even if you fancy just giving me some abuse then please go ahead.

Cheers

John Lime
(Graomi)

Posté Tue 07 Aug 07 @ 9:49 pm

Damn, I'd love to play in Aya Napa.. seems like a party place ;) hehe...

But as you say, clubs (as in house/dance/trance) are going downhill, and its getting more and more urban/rnb/pop all over the place... unfortunately

Ibiza is our last hope ;) hehe

Posté Tue 07 Aug 07 @ 10:04 pm
Take a trip to the bar that's open air, just up from the lights where Nisi Avenue starts, So pass Nisi Ave on your left (past Tommy's pub on the corner) up on the left, there's an open plan bar with wicker seating, can't remember the name but theres a mexican place next to it, they have some big plasmas outside and a projector. Now look on the inside at the back, they have some subtle lighting going and some really nice music. When i was last out there the place was doing a bomb! Packed every night and just a soooo nice atmosphere.

That is just one place i wouls LOVE to play! If I remember the name of the place I'll add another post.

I spend a bit of time over there, can you tell? :o)

Posté Tue 07 Aug 07 @ 11:42 pm
It's called PEPPER Bar and it's part of the Plaza Hotel, here's a pic of the inside (behind the big open frontage) I just soooo love that place.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ReviewPhotos-g262055-d530468-r5362575-Napa_Plaza_Hotel-Ayia_Napa.html#1391616

For the last 7 years Jasmine Inn (Pride Of Ayia Napa) has always done well and definitely has the market in 'cheese' but was VERY quiet when i was out there a couple of months ago.

I think Napa is definitely quietening down. But I'm with you, big up the classic dance anthems & party on!

Posté Tue 07 Aug 07 @ 11:45 pm
GraomiPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Aye Tophouse it looks great and I know which bar you mean although have to confess never having been in there.....think I thought I was a bit scruffy for it!!!

Cheers

John

Posté Wed 08 Aug 07 @ 12:42 am
It's one nice place. Also, from the lights at the Junction of Nissi Ave where Tommy's pub is, there's a club on the right hand side, cant remember it's name now but it only has a small frontage. When I was there a couple of months ago I got tickets for Alex Gaudino who was supposed to be performing, gig got cancelled but that is one nice club inside. Also get well in with Lucas at Planet Audio, it's in the shops set back from the road, across from Pepper Bar and a little lower down, he's very good for mix and club disks. When you get well in he will give you discounts and let you know about new stuff coming in etc He's much better than the crap acapella shops.

Posté Wed 08 Aug 07 @ 2:19 am
Hey guys,

Guess what; I will play at Peppers Bar on 12th of August 2007. I will be mixing video clips. This is the first event in Cyprus with live video-mixing. I cannot describe my feelings.
This event is advertised by MIXFM CYPRUS radiostation 102.3 fm. Also, there is a flyer of the event , I will get one today.

I am the first and only Cypriot DVJ that bought Virtual Dj . You can see that on USER MAP.

I am trying to bring Virtual Dj to the nightlife of Cyprus and show other djs the possibilities especially with the video-mixing.

Here in Cyprus many clubs have projectors but nobody knows about live music-video-clip mixing. They just use projector for FASHION TV and football matches. Another club in Agia Napa (called PLIN -2) has projectors and just is just pluged with a video showing videoclips but NO audio. The dj play his own music.

I feel alone being the only VDJ professional user, so any of you would like to come to Cyprus for holidays and need help feel free to contact me.

Posté Fri 10 Aug 07 @ 1:37 pm
PFD50PRO InfinityMember since 2007
Good luck mate

Posté Fri 10 Aug 07 @ 2:50 pm
I would kill to play Peppers. I had the idea of playing there some months ago, using the wall mounted plasmas and the projector for my videos.

Would also love to do my laser show on the inside:-

http://uk.youtube.com/user/VJDion

The above should take you to my youtube channel/page

Posté Fri 10 Aug 07 @ 3:52 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)